PDA

View Full Version : Making big monogram letters to match your papers...

Cavish
08-03-2005, 11:15 PM
OK, this may be completely obvious how to do it but I just can't figure it out. I would love to be able to make the big monogram to match papers. I'm using PSE2 and Digital image pro 9. Is there a way to do it with one of these programs? Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh and here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1085

NancyS
08-03-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm not a PSE user, but I believe the following instructions will work for you.

After you've made your letter in the font and size you want, put the patterned paper you want to use on the layer above the text layer. (You can also just make a small selection of the paper and put it on the layer, just make sure it is larger than the letter and covers it.) Then you "group with previous" - which is where I am not sure the command is located in PSE. I know it exists, and the shortcut key I think is Ctrl-G.

That step will form or "mold"the patterned paper to the letter and give you the look you want. If you add a layer style to the letter you should be able to add that outer stroke to it also.

Hope this helps.

Cavish
08-04-2005, 12:15 AM
OK, i'm gonna try this. I'll look for the "group" thing. LOL. Thanks so much for your help.

Anyway to do this is DIP9????

NancyS
08-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Sorry, I'm not able to help with DIP at all. Hopefully someone will come along that can.

Cavish
08-04-2005, 12:42 AM
No problem Nancy, I am just so PSE ignorant right now. I just can't figure out layers for the LIFE of me. But guess what???? I FIGURED IT OUT IN DIP!!!! YEAH!!!!! I'm so excited. Thanks for trying to help me.

NancyS
08-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Glad you got it worked out. Now I look forward to seeing your LO with the letter. *S*

Cavish
08-04-2005, 01:30 AM
I'm working on one right now just so I can use the letter. LOL. It's a pretty simple one though.

Leora
10-13-2005, 12:22 AM
SO COOL!! I love looking through this section b/c I find so many new techniques out that I had not even thought about! I just tried it and it WORKED!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!! :)

Leora
10-16-2005, 08:46 PM
I had to come back and post a LO I made using this technique! :)

http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3121/cat/500/perpage/12/sort/2/ppuser/605

Crissy
10-16-2005, 10:13 PM
I have been reading these comments, and it looks like it's really easy and fun to try. Does anyone know how to do this with GIMP?

suzy
10-17-2005, 12:33 AM
I use PSE3 and to do monograms in that I just use the "horizontal type mask tool". I select the font and size and then type the letter I want directly on the patterned paper. You should have the marching ants around the outline of the letter. I then just select control-c and copy it to my layout. For the outline around the letter I select the letter, go to edit->stroke(outline) selection and select the size (usually between 3 to 5 px depending on the size of the letter) and the colour and hit enter.

This is the method I used to get the "A" for this layout (http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2570/cat/500/ppuser/353).

Hope this is clear - let me know if you have any questions. I have never used PSE2 so I dont know how different it is from PSE3.

luvmylilgirls
10-17-2005, 02:21 AM
Does anyone know how to do this in PSP (I have PSP7)?

I love all the layouts that you all are showing! Great work!

Thanks,
Heather

princesslala
10-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Heather-
In PSP it's really simple! Open the paper you want to use. Select the text tool... pick which font you want to use.

For no outline...
Chose to create text as a selection instead of a vector. Type your letter. Select the paper layer in the layers palette. Edit. Copy. Edit. Paste as new image and you've got a monogram to use.

For one with an outline Its gets a little trickier, but this is how i do it...
In the color palette, pick a color for the outline of the letter (use the dropper if you want it to match the paper). Select transparent for the fill color. Type your letter. Convert to raster layer. Select the Magic wand, all opaque, select the outline of the letter. Selections- invert. Fill with a solid color. Select none. Magic Wand- match mode color- contiguous. Select the center of the letter. delete. Now you should see the paper behind it. Select the solid color outside your outline. Merge layers down. Invert selection. Copy and paste as new image.

You may be able to figure out a faster way, but that gives you a starting point. Any questions, just ask.

Laura