PDA

View Full Version : the future of DVD's

Ms. Scrappy Pants
08-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Alright, so I'm getting closer to actually using the DVD burner I got and burning a dang DVD (I got it to burn pictures, scrap pages, kits, ect) and while talking to a friend we were talking about the future of DVD's and how it's not good, because if part of a DVD gets scratched or is bad, the whole DVD is corrupt and you can't recover any data from it.... and that it's not actually a good way to store information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

What the heck!?!? Does anyone know anything about this? Is there a better way without taking up about 10,000 CD's? Hmmm...this is a stumper to me. And also, something I know so little about, so I appeal to the smarty pants here at digi chick... what's up with this claim!?!?!

holly
08-05-2005, 11:03 PM
hmmmm....good question!

noralong
08-06-2005, 01:42 AM
yep, even if stored in the best of conditions, your dvd will only last 50-70 years, and that is if technology doesn't surpass it shortly (which it will). CDs will last about 10% longer. The only storage I am really comfortable with is to get an external hard drive. One unit, and you can store anywhere from 80-200+ gig. And as long as your new computers have the correct connection, you can simply update your files to whatever the "current" storage is.

They speculate the next wave in storage will the the holographic cd, which will store approx 100 gig per disk! The data is stored in 3d. Pretty cool, huh? There was also a big contest amongst the professional data storage providers to come up with new and inovative storage. The winner designed a program that is a universal reader, which can read all types of data. The storage unit that goes with it will be able to store all the records from each states archives with no problem at all, and in fact, each unit is capable of storing several states worth of data. Makes 700 MB seem puny.

holly
08-06-2005, 01:51 AM
so crazy wild!

i was just saying how eventually the entire world will be providing wireless connections....you can connect no matter....it's like paying taxes, we all contribute! LOL

the future of jetsons is soooo coming! LOL

~~Andie~~
08-06-2005, 09:55 AM
i have an extrnal HD i keep everything on and back it up on CDs bc they do last longer

KimMauch
08-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks, Nora for the helpful info. I currently have a 250gb hard drive and a 120gb external hard drive that I use for backup. I probably should get one more form of back up, such as DVD's. I'll have to work on that!

Kim

Ms. Scrappy Pants
08-06-2005, 12:31 PM
WOW! Talk about smarty pants!! Are you an inventor? How do you know all this smarty pants stuff. That's such awesome information! Seriuosly, thank you so much!!

noralong
08-06-2005, 04:30 PM
hmmm I guess you were talking to me? If so, sorry, I am just one of those people who remember stuff like that. I read computer and photography magazines once in a while, but when I buy them I read them over and over.

I forgot to mention the best way to preserve your digital files! Print them. After printing on archival paper (or at the least acid free), store them in a light proof container. This tip came from that digital show on PBS. I know that is a lot of work, but it may be the only way to preserve photos with the way technology is changing. One other little tip I would like to offer. Find a place away from your enviroment (whether you keep your files at home or work) and store copies of your files there. For priceless items like old portraits and documentation (like wedding and birth certificated), it is worth the investment to buy a large safety box at the bank. Other wise, a relatives home is perfect. You can arrange a trade with them, storing their copies. This is obviously in case of fire or flood. One other thing, consider doing the same with your negatives (keep them light safe, and cool).

happyrobyn
08-12-2005, 07:46 PM
I've been considering investing in a large fire safe. I have tons of heritage pics that I like to keep here at the house with me. But if I had a fire, I would just freak out!!! Anyone know anything about fire safes? Are they water resistant as well in case of a flood?

lunafaerie
08-13-2005, 03:37 AM
Has anyone considerd doing the online storage/backup thing. I know my work does this, all our computers are backed up each night by a server (some company on the web) and we don't even think about it. I imagine that they can do the same for individuals. I'm also considering uploading some of my most precious stuff to my iDisk (Mac account), but that means I'm forever locked into that yearly contract, lol.

noralong
10-24-2005, 02:33 AM
I would only store data on a server as a redundant method, after doing all the other standard storage methods. Simply for one reason. How many digital sites, can you think of, who have lost all their data because their server fried? I can think of 3 right off, and that isn't even trying. I personally had data stored on these sites, never to be seen again.

UnDecided
10-24-2005, 02:50 AM
You would also want to make sure it is a VERY well-known and trusted company. I know a lot of people that have uploaded a lifetime's worth of information and had their hosting company just pack up and drop off the face of the earth. They never recovered any of their stuff...

frankcassiesmom
10-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Hmm I think I am leaning towards both DVD and external backups. I burn things to DVD and over the course of time plan on reburning them over the course of the years. But I burn DVDs and put them in our fireproof safe. I don't know if it is water proof, though I would suspect it is. Also I am planning to get a new external to backup on as well. I personally wouldn't trust an online server to store my info, but I trust very few people with things like that - not even my Mummy :) :)