PDA

View Full Version : Tablet Drawing for Dummies?

andreavictoria
08-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Okay chickies...I have a couple of questions.

I just got a tablet the other day and have been playing around with it to see what I can do. Well, I have been trying to draw with it using the pen, but everytime I try to draw something, it looks like my 4yo drew it, lol! I know that I can draw better than that. Do I have to adjust the settings on the tablet itself? Or do I need to do something else?

TIA

Carie
08-09-2005, 08:54 PM
I would like to know the answer to that too. I have had one for 3-4 months and can't figure it out either. I bought it mainly since it is silent and helps the wrist pain. It works well for those 2 things.

holly
08-09-2005, 08:58 PM
i really only use mine for coloring....i can write with it fine, but hopefully someone else can answer you better.

scrappin4twins
09-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Someone on another site suggested putting a piece of paper over it and using the pen tool directly on the paper, they said it makes it a little smoother. I haven't tried it yet though. Everyone who has mastered it has said the only advice they can give is PRACTICE!! There is apparently no trick to it, unfortunetly. Of course I can't really draw anyway so anyhting I draw would probably look like something my 3 years old created regardless of how good I am with the tablet, lol!

Alix

holly
09-20-2005, 09:11 AM
oooh - i never thought of drawing something on a piece of paper on top - hmmmm, might have to try!

LorraineM
09-20-2005, 11:18 AM
I started the paper thing recently, even a little old post it note with lines is a great help. Another hint I've seen recently is to really, really, zoom in your screen on where you are drawing/writing...haven't tried that one yet due to my photoshop problem, but it makes sense right?

Lorraine

juzzie
10-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Im going to have to try these out as for years a tablet has been on my wish list. I got one for xmas last year and I have touched it around 3 times... Im just so horrible with it!

jasbeanie
10-20-2005, 04:36 AM
drawing on paper may scratch the surface of your wacom... try not to.
practice makes perfect!

and of coz there are difference between a cheap tablet and a wacom...

Laura_A
10-20-2005, 04:49 AM
Awww man! I've been wanting one for a while now... now I'm scared. LOL

sand_gal
10-20-2005, 08:32 AM
I had the same trouble when I started with mine but I am getting better.....it just takes time to get use to it. I do have the screen zoomed in as it seems to give me better control.

Kim2002
10-20-2005, 12:11 PM
I bought a Wacom Intuos 3 for myself as a birthday gift......I've been playing with it since May and absolutely love it. I have never tried the paper trick.....will have to try that. I really think that the more you use it, the better your drawings will look. It takes time to get used to the pressure sensitivity of the pen as well as watching the screen while you doodle. But, just keep at it. Doodle doodle doodle!!

holly
10-20-2005, 12:13 PM
nice present!!!

i draw much better in illustrator with it than i do in photoshop...lol, but then again, i was using illustrator a LOT way prior to using photoshop, so maybe it's just more natural?

juzzie
10-20-2005, 12:24 PM
I'll have to give it another try sometime this week... i'll update with how it all went too.

I'll have to try it in illustrator. I got illustrator before i got photoshop, so maybe it will be easier for me to draw in illustrator.

AmyJo
10-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Man, I have NO trouble with my WACOM - but I can't draw on paper ;) You can put the paper UNDER most of the tablets...they have removable transparent covers so you can put things under the surface...as far as scratching goes, I don't worry too much about that, I have never put a paper over mine to use it and my clear thinger is all scratched up, but since I never put anything under it either, who cares.

I love my stylus, I never even touch my mouse...can sign my name, color, trace things on the screen...but I think a lot of that is hand-eye coordination.

frankcassiesmom
10-24-2005, 05:52 PM
I just got my tablet last week or so, absolutely LOVE it as well. But what I think has really been helping me is the fact that I NEVER use my mouse anymore. In a week I am so comfortable using the tablet that I see no reason to use a mouse. I think that using it for everything will help you to gain better and better control of it. And hey play with your settings. It might be too sensitive for you.

Kim