PDA

View Full Version : Negative/Slide Scanner

happyrobyn
08-14-2005, 09:41 AM
I have tons of old slides and negatives. Can anyone recommend a good scanner for these? My current one won't do them.

ditzyscrap
08-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Great question. Sorry...no answer, but am subbing to this thread so I can know the answer. I haven't got a clue how these types of scanners work, but I would love to have a way to easily make all my negatives into digital prints. :) Especially my wedding pics...I haven't got the good photos, just the negatives.

happyrobyn
08-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks Bree. I can't wait to see a good recommendation.

Rynonut Mom
08-14-2005, 04:55 PM
The artist I work for has an Epson Perfection 2450 that scans negatives and transparencies. I've done trans. on it and it is awesome for that. She's had it for a while now, so I know it's an older version. I'm not sure if it does slides, I'll check!

happyrobyn
08-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks. Keep us posted. I've got tons of slides from the 1970's that need to find their way into scrapbook albums!

Rynonut Mom
08-14-2005, 06:51 PM
I go there Wed. and will try to remember to check then!

happyrobyn
08-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks! We'll be waiting.

Rynonut Mom
08-14-2005, 07:00 PM
I just did a quick glance over in google - and it does have a slide attachment, but it also looks like it's too far out of date to buy it anywhere!!! I wonder what the new scanner is?

I went to Epson.com and they have some with neg/slide/trans. starting at $99.

happyrobyn
08-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Thanks for checking. Maybe I should get out of my permanent location in front of this computer and look in a store. Wouldn't THAT be something?!

susieq2u
08-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Robyn - I have a CANON slide and photo scanner and am really pleased with the quality. Most of my childhood was captured on slide film so when I purchased my last scanner I made this a prereq. (My Dad used then as they were a much cheaper option in the 60s and 70s) The scanner is a CANON Canoscan D1250U2F. There is a plastic mounting plate that you place the slide in and the scanner has an additional light to act like a projector. I have scanned many of them through and printed them for my family. The colours are quite intense from slides and I think they are much better then the photos taken around that time. Some slides have degraded due to moisture but graphics software was good at reducing or eliminating the impact. My scanner is probably out of date now but would thoroughly recommend the CANON. Mine is still working beautifully.

happyrobyn
08-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Thanks so much Sue! I guess it's time to start shopping around!

rh_scrapbooker
08-16-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm intending on buying the Epson Perfection 4990, but it is a bit more on the spendy side: $449.

The reason we (DH and I did research) are choosing this is because we have multiple film formats: large format, medium format, 35mm, etc. And we can't afford the professional $2000 scanner :)

DH has multiple binders full of negative sheets from his time in the Air Force in Germany, we have his family's priceless negatives dating back to the 1920s, there are some glass negatives being stored somewhere for us, and I have 20 years worth of negatives of my own....and did I mention my dad has handed over the family negative archives in my direction (thankfully he's gone digital too)?

Rachel

Inwardsoul
08-16-2005, 02:03 PM
I recently bought the Epson Perfection 2480 Photo scanner and it has the slide/negative attachment and it works pretty well, it was about $99...

Sandra

happyrobyn
08-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys! Rachel ... it sounds like you're gonna be a scanning fool! Don't you just love those old glass negatives?!

rh_scrapbooker
08-17-2005, 01:51 AM
Yeah.....i haven't actually seen them, DH has...his brother is storing them until we get the darkroom up and running.

Rachel

noralong
08-17-2005, 09:21 PM
I have owned 2 scanners that do negatives and slides, and I love it. But, there is a big issue you should consider, and that is glass. Most (if not all) scanners that include transparancy adapters scan the film through the plate glass that you would scan anything else through.

If I were to buy a scanner today, thinking of my transparencies, I would purchase a scanner made just for transparancies. The reason is that they don't scan through glass, but through the film directly (you load them into a tray, and slide it into the scanner).