PDA

View Full Version : Costco 12x12 prints

Heather
08-17-2005, 07:05 PM
So I when I first started digi-scrapping I printed a few prints at Cost. They turned out FANTASTIC, except for 1 "little" thing...the edges were not trimmed "evenly". Instead of trimming say 1/4 inch from each side, maybe 1/2 inch was trimmed from 2 sides only. Maybe that doesn't make sense without actually seeing it. For example: One layout I printed had a sanded edge overlay all around it. The printed photo only showed 2 sanded edges. Now the average person may have never noticed, BUT I'm a perfectionist. I spend a LOT of time making sure all my margins are equal and that me elements are placed an equal distance from the margins. It will just make me INSANE to open an album where only 2 edges are sanded, or the elements are not an equal distance from the edge of the page!

A couple weeks ago I took in over $100 worth of prints to be printed. I asked the girl at the photo lab if they could please crop them evenly. She told me that I would need to resize all my photos to 400 dpi. Then and ONLY THEN would they be able to print my photos on a special machine which would not cut my edges off. BUT she said, she still can't guarantee that the edges would be cropped evenly. HUH?!!!! :confused_ :confused:

So here's my first question...
If I resize my 300 dpi layouts to 400 dpi, won't I lose quality? Won't it try to create pixels where none existed? The girl at the lab said I'll actually be increasing the quality, but I'm just NOT buying it!

I feel so frustrated and confused! This is a MAJOR hang-up for me, but I don't know what other options I have. I've seen that a lot of you are also printing at Costco. What do you do?

Vania16
08-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Yikes! I too will be picky about my edges! I'm not sure what to say about what to do - I have heard various people having problems with their local Costco printers and having to "teach" them how they wanted their prints done - sounds like yours isn't too teachable - maybe you could get a supervisor or a different photo lab person next time and see if they have a different story. I'm definitely going to do a test run at my Costco before sending in too much - thanks for the warning :)

rh_scrapbooker
08-17-2005, 10:38 PM
I've never had them crop the 12x12 down....I created a canvas that's 12x18, plopped my layout into the canvas, and just trimmed off the excess photo paper (or you can put 2 6x6 layouts in the other part).

I also upload my layout via the Internet, when I do it there, it shows what would be cropped at each of the "poster" sizes (11x14, 12x18, etc).

If Costco is a pain for you, and you don't mind a $2 flat shipping fee, you can also do scrapbookpictures.com. I've gotten layouts printed through them as well.

Rachel

MarshaZepeda
08-17-2005, 11:00 PM
Hmmm... you know what, I noticed this, too when I printed my MMM entries. One of the layouts had a perfect 1/4" white trim all the way around and when I got them back, 3 sides were messed up. BUT since I am such a procrastinator and waited until the last day to print them, I couldn't change it. :34: Oh well! I'll talk to the techs at mine (they are super helpful and nice!) and I'll let you know what they say! :regular_s

WyoWoman
08-30-2005, 10:50 AM
Could you ask for them not to trim it, and trim it yourself? I've done this at our local photographers.
Kristin

CraftTeaLady
08-30-2005, 03:53 PM
I've had this happen as well... did you set your dpi to what they say on the website?

I find myself having to move my LO in just a bit on the outside edge and then they are great.

Sorry it happened...

digiscrapn4fun
10-02-2005, 12:49 AM
I submit my file online to Costco's photolab as a jpeg at the exact final output deminsion of 12" x 18" at 300 dpi using Photoshop CS. These are always mumbo-jumbo large files, but well worth it. :) I create my layout in 12" x 12" and right before uploading, I change my canvas size to 12" x 18" and click on the up arrow to designate that I want the new space to be at the bottom of my layout (note it will always use your background color, so if you want white, make sure you have white selected as your background color in your palette. I then have 6" of bonus space at the bottom of my canvas where I then can paste (2) 6" x 6" layouts or (3) 4" x 5" images that I may want to share with family and friends. I upload to the online site. I have found that right before submitting the order online, you have the option to change preferences which includes turning off the autoformating and adding your own short printable message to the back of your layout (I always add my name as the creator). I have found that by turning the autoformatting off, I don't have issues with the processing equipment cutting into my layout by 1/4" even though my file is to specs. Because I've created my file in PS and it is set to the exact size of output, I get my final layout without any white margins, full bleed to edge like a regular photo on all sides. I simply trim and slide into my album.

I'm not sure how you are getting white space on your final output, unless your file size was not set to 12 x 18 at 300 dpi.

~~Andie~~
10-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Could you ask for them not to trim it, and trim it yourself? I've done this at our local photographers.

My Costco has told me before they are not allowed to trim the photos...so wouldnt be an issue at mine

CraftTeaLady
10-02-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't think it's an issue of trimming, it is what the computer does if you don't have them set up at the right dpi that they are running at.

Does anyone know of a place that doesn't have this happen? Even another store, not Costco?

sinead
10-02-2005, 08:05 PM
I've had 12x12 layouts printed by ploppinmemories ( www.ploppinmemories.com (http://www.ploppinmemories.com) ) and they came out really well. There's a flat shipping fee, but if you're doing more than a few, the shipping doesn't really matter that much.

sinead

liannallama
02-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Digiscrapn4fun:

Thanks for the tip! I just did my first test run at Costco and I had prepared the file the same way you did. But Next time I will try to uncheck the Autoformat feature and hopefully that will help matters!

I tried so hard to explain to the clerk that I was looking for a field to place notes like my regular digital printer place does. with them I just put "no-crop" and they do just fine. She said there is no such thing with Costco and it will automatically do a 1/4" bleed no matter what when you upload online.

I hope your trick works--it would be so convenient to get my LOs' printed there!