PDA

View Full Version : Proud mom of...

busyizzie
04-13-2007, 04:43 PM
a special education kid!

I'm really not saying this to be trival or inappropriate because as a teacher I know how important this is to students.

I'm saying this because since 5-6th grade my youngest son has struggled with school to the point that now his first year in high school is almost a complete washout.

He was diagnosed with ADHD in the middle of his 8th grade year and he's really been unsuccessful in school. I have been pushing and pushing to get him services and they've said he doesn't qualify. Then we paid for testing ourselves last summer and gave it to the highschool the first week of school. It's been ongoing and the 504 plans just didn't work and so he's failed and now we're going to be playing catch up on getting him to graduate with his class.

So by me saying I'm proud that he's special ed is gratifying because I've been fighting and fighting to get him the help that it's finally like I've won the battle. I'm finally relieved that he'll be getting some help that will allow him to be successful.

What a lucky Friday the 13th! :party: :51: :regular_s

Charla
04-13-2007, 04:49 PM
That's wonderful, Laura! I hope this helps him get the help he needs to succeed :)

micmau
04-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Congrats! It is sooo hard to get children the help that they need education wise, I am so glad that you were able to get it. He will do great!

chloe
04-13-2007, 05:31 PM
That's great! Congrats for fighting so hard for him, you're a great mom!

mamakimberly
04-13-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm SO glad you fought for him to get the services he needs!! Congrats mom- job well done!!!

scrappinmichele
04-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Congrats!!! My son also has ADHD. His Kindy teacher was fantastic and got him tested and then his 2nd grade teacher had a child with ADHD too and she recognized that if he got more services he's really flourish so she really really pushed for him and no he's in 5th grade and doing wonderfully. It does make a difference when the schools give them the help they really need. Good luck!!!

sinead
04-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Laura, I'm so glad that he's finally getting the services that he needs. I know that there are many teachers who are resentful of 504 plans, but they are really really important to helping students succeed. Good for you for fighting so hard. Hopefully he'll find some successes now!

ChristineS
04-13-2007, 11:53 PM
it's unfortunate that it was such a hard fight but I am so glad for your son - that he can get the help he needs and deserves

Rynonut Mom
04-14-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm so proud of you, Laura, for sticking with it and getting him what he needs!!!! That is just too cool! Congrats!!!!