PDA

View Full Version : Does size really matter?!

happyrobyn
08-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Who likes what size layout and why? I have been doing all of my layouts in 12x12 mostly because it just seemed like I should. However, I recently completed a huge scrapbook for my Dad (check it out at www.WayneMagazine.com if you're interested) and all of the pages were 8.5x11 and it was a lot of fun.

The big thing I noticed with 8.5x11 was that I couldn't find a cute post-bound, top-loading album ANYWHERE!!! I searched stores and the Internet. I finally ended up with a nice leather one but it was a 3-ring type which I was trying to avoid. In fact one of the scrapbook stores looked at me as if I were crazy and said "No ... we only carry square ones here ... you know 12x12 or 8x8." As if I am an idiot or something!!!

Anyway, I have been seeing some really cool 8.5x11 layouts and I wanted to get some ideas as to why you do the size you do.

KimMauch
08-24-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure what got me started in 8.5x11, but that's just what I've always done. I very rarely do 12x12 that I print at 8x8, but probably only 2% of my layouts are that size.

Kim

ScrapHappyME!
08-25-2005, 12:23 AM
I scrap and print 8x8. I chose this size because I can print from home. As a paper scrapper, I always worked 12x12 so the square was a natural for me... I couldn't see changing it. I will admit I am intrigued by the 8.5x11 LOs I see. But more often then not, I need my symmetry! Also, I wouldn't be able to print that size at home as I do not have an edge-to-edge printer.

karendenning
08-25-2005, 12:57 AM
I chose 8x8 so I can print at home (and re-print easily if I don't like something). I also tend to scrap my pages with just one or two photos, so 12x12 is way too big when printed. Also, I find that the 8x8 albums are easier to handle on your lap or on a coffee table. I really struggle with people's 12x12s when I'm trying to hold them and flip the pages, especially after there's more than 20 pages in them.

Just my thoughts. I LOVE 8x8.

Kat Stokes
08-25-2005, 01:17 AM
I used to do 12x12 when I paper scrapped but I like the convenience of printing 8x8 at home. I'm very happy with the quality of my printer. Besides, the one time that I tried to have them printed elsewhere (Kinko's) they turned out like crap and cost me over $8.00 for 2 lo's.... not happy at all about that.

jasbeanie
08-25-2005, 03:31 AM
i digi scrap at 12x12 and save my raw psds on 12x12 too.. juz in case i so decide to send it to print that big.

i will scale a copy down to 9x9 and then send tht out to print.. so my printed LOs are all 9x9 but i scrap 12x12.. do i make sense? hahahaa.

noralong
08-25-2005, 05:39 AM
the bulk of my los are 8.5x11. I started with that size when paper scrapping, and stuck with it. I am kind of anal about some things, and I just couldn't stand to have my scrap albums be different sizes and styles. But, when scrapping a page for an on line project, I do a 12x12. I will print those at 8x8, and have a special album for them (they aren't in the same case as the others), and they are for my own pleasure, and not for sharing with the people I force to look at my albums (that would be everyone who comes to my house!).

8.5x11 95%
12x12/8x8 5%

scraprascal
08-25-2005, 11:19 AM
I dabbled around with 12x12 in paper. It's just okay for me. I really prefer working on 8.5 x 11 and can print those at home, so it works wonderfully for me. As for albums (I think I can say this here) Stampin Up! makes a couple of different 8.5x11 postbounds. Westrim Crafts make some gingham ones that I use...okay because I like gingham...and then SEI came out with the 11x8.5 landscape albums which are totally fun. I'm always scouting around for albums that size, so I'll be interested to hear what everyone else says! Great thread!

rh_scrapbooker
08-25-2005, 11:45 AM
All my paper scrapping has been 12x12.

When I (mostly) switched to digital, I've been experimenting with other sizes. I really like the landscape 11x8.5 format!

I too have been running into issues finding an 8.5x11 album (either landscape or portrait), but I'll find one someday.

With my 12x12, I will probably resize them to 8x8 for printing at home and putting into an 8x8 album.

Rachel

thequeenofquirk
08-25-2005, 11:58 AM
well, i used to scrap 12x12...but realized that i am a 1-2 photo kinda gal...and i liked the way they looked on 8.5 x 11 better. for my europe pages though, i go with 12x12. we have so many photos and there are tons of sketches out there for 2 pg 12x12 spreads.

robyn, i'm surprised you couldn't find an album...i have 2 of them. i like the look of the dalee ones...here are some links for you.

http://store.scrapinsanity.com/albums---supplies-post-bound-8-1-2-x-11-albums.html

http://store.scrapbooking-warehouse.com/photo-albums-8-5x11.html

TraceyLee
08-25-2005, 12:48 PM
i started with 8.5x11, then moved to 10x10, and started scrapping 12x12 when i put more memory in my computer (photoshop would lock up when i tried anything larger than 10x10).

this is just what i feel comfortable with. i, personally, don't feel like there's enough room in an 8.5x11 page, lol.

CraftTeaLady
08-25-2005, 12:56 PM
I posted other, because, I do all mine in 12x12, but then I resize some to 6x6 to fit on my Costco print - to not just have 'white space' at the end of my prints.

happyrobyn
08-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Jan ... thanks for those great links to 8.5x11 postbounds. I actually DID find some at Michaels and Hobby Lobby but I was being very picky. I wanted black leather with a viewing window on the cover. Guess I should have been less picky!!! I did end up with a really nice 3 ring kind just like I wanted with a tie closure. But post-bound would have been preferred.

You ladies all have great comments!I actually haven't printed many of my layouts so I may be going from 12x12 to 8x8 ... who knows.

Becky
08-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Well, I actually haven't printed any of my digital layouts, but when I do, I will probably print them in either 8x8 or 8.5 x 11 just so I can print them at home.

Most of my paper scrapping is 8 1/2 x 11 as well, although I have done and still do the occasional 12x12. I like being able to switch it up now and then.

4jacks4me
08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
I do 10x8 landscape and have them printed by either photoworks.com or shutterfly.com
I like the size because I can frame it in a regular frame. I also have purchased photobooks from century photo that are great.

lbth-mi
08-25-2005, 10:36 PM
I chose 8x8. Even though I have yet to print one of my layouts, when I do, I want to be able to do it at home and also be able to use one of the many available 8x8 albums that are on the market.

paula_duncan
08-25-2005, 10:36 PM
I like to work with 12x12. I like having the space and the symetry. everything seems more balanced. I have yet to print any of my digi LOs but all my paper is 12x12 so it just seems more natural to use this size.

Rynonut Mom
08-27-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm like Nora - I started in 8.5x11 paper. It was cheaper and easier to handle. The sixe just seemer more natural to me for various reasons. I started 12x12 books for my boys individual books. I put their proffesional portraits and started putting school and such in them. My WLC journal stuff is 8x8, because if I printed them - I didn't want a "big" album. Now that I'm mostly digi - I've kept the 8.5x11 'cause I can print it out at home. I'm also going to reprint everything as christmas present for the grandparents! I have filled my album and have been looking for new ones too. I like coupons, but haven't found any that I like at J's or M's lately. My LSS's don't carry hardly any! :sad_smile I have seen one I like at WM that will do, but want to try for the coupons since I need to buy 3 soon. Why is it that they can't make cute albums in that size??? It seems to me that there are lots of scraps out there asking for them... especially since CZ's book came out.

KD11b
08-27-2005, 05:30 PM
I have always digi scrapped in 8.5 x 11. I do all of my scrapping in Microsoft Word, and this way, I can easily print my pages out at home. As far as finding a cute album...no luck. I ended up buying a super cute 12 x 12 album and pasting some cute quotes on the inside edges of the book. That way, when people are looking at it, they don't notice the big empty spots that normally would be filled with pages. In fact, when I pointed it out to my friends, they told me that they would not have even noticed unless I had said something.

About printing...my friend did a scrapbook of a trip to Italy on my computer. We started doing all of the pages 12 x 12, but I called Kinkos just to make sure they could print them off, and they said that they don't print that size at all. Just, FYI...

suzy
08-28-2005, 03:36 AM
Being a former paper scrapper most of my layouts up until now have been 12x12 which I always resize to 8x8 or 8.5x8.5 for printing. Recently though I have been doing more 8.5x11 layouts (inspired by Jenn Olson). The only problem is that it is really hard to find 8.5x11 paper and albums in Australia for printing them out.

Scrap-o-holic
08-29-2005, 02:24 AM
I always scrap 12x12 layouts. And almost 90-95% of the time they are double-page spreads (I just think my scrapbook flows so much better when both facing pages look similar). :)

thequeenofquirk
08-29-2005, 05:11 AM
hey has anyone tried printing 8.5x11 layouts? i was just wondering about cost and stuff...i know that 12x12 canget really expensive, but have you tried printing smaller sizes at places like costco and stuff? :)

happyrobyn
08-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Jan, I got some 8.5x11 printed for $2.50 each. But my printer did it "at cost" for me.

ljbarden
08-29-2005, 11:21 AM
I've tried 8.5x11, but it's never felt quite right for me, prefer a square page. But 12x12 is too big since I very rarely do anything more than a single photo LO, so when I do actually print something, it's at 8x8 size.

Whatever size I create though, I hate albums. Always have. I have my favourite LOs framed and hanging around the place. One day I'll have a house big enough to have a proper gallery wall, just like the one I used to tease my mum about. :wink_smil

cosy
08-30-2005, 01:16 AM
Paper scrapping, usually 12x12 unless it's a gift album and then I usually use 8x8.

Digi: I do them in 12x12 and print them out 8x8.

ditzyscrap
08-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Well, I misunderstood the question. LOL! I answered "other" but then realized that a MAJORITY of my layouts are 12x12 (just because I paper scrapped that size). I'm doing a special album for my DS in 11x8.5, though. I tried to start my vacation album for this year as 8.5x11, but just couldn't do it, lol...I switched back to 12x12.

thequeenofquirk
08-31-2005, 02:14 PM
thanks, robyn! hey, just out of curiosity....how many LO's can you get out of one cartridge?

as for travel LO's, there is no way i could do anythign smaller than 12x12. even tho i scrap 8.5x11 for everything else, i always have way too many photo for our europe pages....and i have to use sketches, too. LOL

KD11b
09-01-2005, 11:26 AM
I can get around 40 (8.5x11) LOs on one ink cartridge. So, really that's not bad at all!

AmyJo
10-14-2005, 11:13 PM
I usually scrap square - and can print any square size I want, but they are all saved at 12x12 - however, I found that the cheapest hard bound printed books were letter sized...but landscape for the most part...and I would like to have all of my layouts hardbound. I did a letter sized book with square layouts though and really like the white borders - keeps fingers off of my pages :)

AmyJo
10-14-2005, 11:16 PM
OH! And I had some of my layouts printed at Staples for under $1 each (8x8) and another print shop in town did that size for $0.69 - and if you do 11 x 11 and mount on solid card stock, they look pretty sharp - that size was $1.69 each.

I don't like to print my own - I don't trust any of those printer companies that claim archival quality...how do they know for sure? And what are they going to do about your gripe if they're wrong?

Candiflip
10-17-2005, 11:07 PM
I scrap 12x12 but print 8x8 at home.

travelgirlut
10-22-2005, 07:53 PM
I started out doing all 12x12, but once I'd printed a bunch out I realized how big they are. So now, it all depends on the number of photos I have and what look I'm going for. I switch back and forth from 12x12 to 8.5x11 now.

Dating_Revolutionist
10-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Yup. A 12x12 one because I NEED SPACE! Ha! I love having all that space to play with!

As for the 8.5x11 albums - I just returned from Joann's (this is one of there super-duper 50% off weekends...) and I saw several 8.5x11 albums by Pioneer. Some of them were so doggone cute that I almost bought one! However, I still have a 12x12 I'm filling up and I decided to get a few items I can use now. (Photo mats and a great quote book with a CD included.)

Isn't it funny how we can start with something and then stick with it forever? I do have a group of Studio K slipcased albums that I bought on sale. I thought it would be cute but haven't started yet.

artchick
10-25-2005, 10:49 AM
So here's my input. I scrap in just about all of the sizes!! I do mostly 12x12, but also do 8x8. My Christmas Albums are all 8.5 x11 and I've done two awesome albums in 11 x 8.5 (Landscape). These were GREAT because it totally changed my perspective! SEI makes some really cute 11 x 8.5 albums and I actually bought one at Office Max in their "scrapbooking section" --LOL--made by Kodak!
I'm lucky in that I have a wide format printer at home, but the Epson 12x12 Scrapbook paper (which I have to use with my Epson printer to get the quality I'm looking for--sigh!!) is really expensive!
So, there's my two cents!

digi
10-25-2005, 11:52 AM
I have always scrapped 8.5 x 11. Also always digital. Didn't know about all the digital sites...so my albums are the ones with the open front to slip in a cover page and also labeled on the side and ended on the back. It may sound too simple, but simple is good, I love doing heritage, first time now that I am scrapping with kits:rose: the artwork is wonderful. I love playing with all of the elements. An advantage is if you come across something to add - click and your done. I am doing it backwards because my children are grown, but if I were starting out I think I would still prefer the what I am doing now for the organized look. You can always do minis for special occasions here and there, but I like to know that I will still be able to purchase the binders that blends with my collection. I love the square look, but after a little time, I find I don't love it enough to hope companies produce what I want. So I will stick with the 8.5 x 11 and do squares for fun!

jasbeanie
10-25-2005, 10:05 PM
ive never ventured out of the squares. i HAVE to try it one day.... 8.5 x 11 sounds fun! I began at 12x12 and printed on 9x9.. but i recently have been scrapping 9x9 to begin with.. i think i just wld never need to print at 12x12 so heck it! haha.