PDA

View Full Version : Downloading with Dial-up :(

lbth-mi
08-26-2005, 10:24 AM
I have dial-up. I would like to have a cable connection but I also like eating and I would have to give up one for the other :(

DSL is out because it is not available in my area. :(

That leaves me with dial-up. I do have a second line, so I am not tying up the house phone when I am downloading digital files, but still...it takes about 4 (yes, four!) hours to download the average digital kit.

Is there a different way that I just am not seeing? I am just starting out in digital scrapping and I'm having lots of fun with it.

LorraineM
08-26-2005, 12:29 PM
You poor thing.....it must be torture!!! Know that thing about eating, it always gets in the way. The only thing I can think of is go to a friend that has a quicker connection speed and then save to cd/disk? Hope this helps speed things up for you.
Good luck,
Lorraine

Vania16
08-26-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't think there's much you can do about the speed of downloading with dial up unfortunately - when I had it I did find that it went a little quicker at night (maybe less people then? I don't know). But, you might check with your cable company if they have a cheaper option. I have Cox and their regularly advertised service is something like $40 a month - way too much for me - but they also have a rarely advertised, slightly slower service that is only about $25 a month. It's loads better than dial up and I still get to eat :) Just a suggestion :)

MandaBean
08-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Dial-up=Evil! But when that's all you have, it's better than no net at all. I had it until about 2 years ago and I don't know what I would do if I had to go back. But hey..you're right about needing to eat. Sorry you are having problems. I wish the internet could be one super fast ride for all of us. Hope you find yourself with a speedier connection soon!

ditzyscrap
08-26-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm with you on the dial-up thing. I had DSL up until June...when we moved. Now DSL isn't available in my area, and neither is any other type of high speed connection (well, there's ONE, but there's a $&*(! tree in the way of the signal...not on my property).

I don't know of any fast way to download. I use a download manager (right now I'm using GetRight, because I was having problems using a manager with ZenCart, but this seems to work alright as long as the files aren't HUUUUGE) and it speeds it up a tad. Using just the browser's download function, I was d/l at about 4 kbps...and with the download managers I can get 6+ at times. So, definitely check some different ones out.

Other than that...nothing I can offer ya! :( I'm seriously searching all over the place for a way to get a better connection (right now I'm at around 40 kbps...and I'm used to about 500x faster than that).

paula_duncan
08-26-2005, 10:22 PM
I had dial up until April of this year and then decided that for the amount of time I spend on my computer it was worth it to get the cable. I just cut some other things out that I didn't really need. Plus I was already paying $40 a month cable bill and the $20 for the internet so for only $30 more we got digital and internet. I use to spend ours downloading too and found it a bit easier when I could download the kits in pieces. So if this option is available use it that way you can spread out your downloads and not feel too overwelmed.

jasbeanie
08-26-2005, 11:08 PM
ohhh i cld never go back to dial ups.. its way too slow.. not only for downloading but for regular surfing..
im in singapore and i pay about US$50 monthly for a 6500kbps cable connection.. its decent.. in fact its pretty fast.

how much and how fast is an average cable connection over in the stats?

lbth-mi
08-27-2005, 01:09 PM
The only way I can get a cable connection is also have cable TV, which we have already ruled out as an unnecessary expense. No one watches TV enough to make it worth having.

Oh well, I'll just suffer along until DSL becomes available in my area.

KD11b
08-27-2005, 05:37 PM
I have dial up here at home. I keep asking Mom and Dad to switch, but they don't think it is as important as I do!

However, I am leaving for school again on Monday. We have a network system there, which is so much faster. I have been writing down all of the things that I want to download, and that is what I will do the first week of school. (Yes, I will study, too...)

All that to say, there is really nothing that makes dial up go any quicker. It is a sad thing, sometimes!!

suzy
08-28-2005, 03:38 AM
I have noticed that a few designers offer a cd burning service. Maybe that is a good thing to look out for and to suggest to those designers who dont.

lbth-mi
08-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Kits on CD, now there's a great idea.

Laura87
08-28-2005, 02:23 PM
I hear ya!!! And totally simpathize!! I have dial up also and it stinks!! We are the same, no DSL in our area yet! =( Im downloading stuff right now and its telling me 5 hours for a 40 MB file!! I have a download manger (slightly faster as someone mentioned), but the file Im trying to download wont let me "use" it! So it just added about 1 hr on to the process!! Uggghhh!!!

Lately Ive been downloading really big files really late at night, while Im sleeping! =) I just cant take the wait!! But it really stinks for me cuz i only have 1 phone line, so Ive been trying up the line for 3 days now!! Oh well!!
Heres hoping DSL will be in our area soon!!! =)

lbth-mi
08-29-2005, 12:15 AM
I added a second phone line just so I could download big files :)

Laura87
08-29-2005, 11:41 PM
I hear ya!! I called about derectwave.... since we have satalite, and its gone down in price from when we prev inq., although its still very pricy... but, i think come this payday thats what we are doing!! I cant take it anymore!! ;)