PDA

View Full Version : Any Watch American Idol?

tamra
05-16-2007, 08:00 PM
It's still an hour before it's on here & I have mixed feelings about it - I can't wait to watch it, but I hate to see any of them go home. Those last 3 are the best and all deserve to win! I have no idea who it will be...

Anyone else gonna watch?

SarahJ
05-16-2007, 08:06 PM
I kind of watched when it started, but lately I would just rather watch something else. I still like to see who gets kicked off and stuff though.

I'm sorry, but I don't care for Melinda. She is an amazing singer, but she just doesn't seem like she would be a good "American Idol", you know? I guess I judge it on who I would most like to see perform in concert (not that I have seen any past winners perform in concert) and Melinda is not it for me. I think Jordin is great and I also like Blake. I know Melinda will stay tonight though.

tamra
05-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Ya, that's how I feel. This year wasn't my favorite for a long time, but lately it's been good. But ya, even though I think that Melinda is probably the "best" singer, she is not the most fun to watch. I think you're right and she will stay.

sinead
05-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Really? I love Melinda! I love that she rocks anything she sings and that she's so modest and unassuming--in that way I guess she's not like any of the past winners. I find her refreshing. She just makes me smile.

Either way--all three will have a career in the music business. I think that Melinda is the best, even though I don't think she'll win. My money is on Jordin to win. She has youth, powerful talent, and is closer to "the look." I love Blake, but I think he's going this week.

We'll see how it goes!

Hom74
05-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally I was rooting for Jordin and Blake...mainly Jordin. But yesterday Melinda did blow me away. It really doesn't matter who the final 2 are...they are all amazing.

ccouch
05-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I LOVE Melinda, but....I hope for her that she DOESN'T win. She's going to get a recording contract no matter and I hope for her that she'll be able to do more negotiating and have more of a voice in her album.

My money is on Jordin to win it. Ditto Sinead's reasoning :) I'm too lazy to type it out! LOL!

RachelS
05-16-2007, 11:13 PM
whoa! did you see that?

SarahJ
05-16-2007, 11:20 PM
holy wow!

sinead
05-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Holy cow!!!! What were they smokin'!?!?!

ccouch
05-17-2007, 12:27 AM
i missed simon's response when ryan asked what the judges thought. (the dvr switched over to record lost and i missed it.) what did he say?

gosh...i just hate that she's gone and i'm shocked! but, i think that a record deal will for sure come out of this for her :) she's so awesome!

Rynonut Mom
05-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Jordan's from here in Phx! They had alot of press following here around the day she was back here, so she was on the news alot that day...

MuddyPawPrints
05-17-2007, 12:58 AM
All I know is I heard a lot of yelling from my hubby in the living room. I think he was in shock..... :)

All three are great in my book. I just can't get over that Jordin is only 17!

Nonnie917
05-17-2007, 04:34 AM
After tonight, I am done with Idol. That show is FIXED!!! I was a big fan of Melinda's and I cannot believe what happened tonight. That is why I think the show is fixed. Sorry, but Blake just is NOT that good. For that reason I hope Jordan wins it.

Valgal
05-17-2007, 07:35 AM
OMG!!! I couldn't believe it. I have a theory though... I think a lot of people who were voting for Lakisha switched their votes to Blake. KWIM?

She handled it SO well. And I agree that she doesn't need the AI title to suceed. She's going to to just fine w/o it.

Christine, he said something like he was congratulating the two finalists, but he commended Melinda. Trying to be diplomatic, but getting his point in there that SHE should've stayed. Smart move really.

tamra
05-17-2007, 09:44 AM
I don't think that the show is fixed or Melinda would have stayed since she was obviously Simon's choice. There have been some crazier calls with previous AI's. Some of the most awesome singers were kicked off way too early in past seasons... At least this time all 3 of them were great so there really wasn't a clear choice of who should go! It just comes down do your personal song style/ preference.
I believe that each of them will end up recording in the long run anyway, regardless of who wins!
Oh, and I wasn't saying that I don't like Melinda earlier - I think that she is actually the best singer. Her voice is always flawless. I just think the others are more entertaining to watch perform :) (although she has been stepping it up in that department too lately! overcoming her timidity I think!)

talking too much... yadda yadda yadda...

SarahJ
05-17-2007, 09:50 AM
I think it comes down to who is calling in the votes. I don't know this for a fact, but I bet it is alot of teenagers. And if I was a teenager, I would probably have voted for a) the teenager or b) the cute boy. And maybe I'm wrong about the voting population, but...

I think that Melinda will be on to bigger and better things. I could totally see her singing on Broadway or something or in a movie, ala Jennifer Hudson!

Hom74
05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I agree Sarah. I mean, did you see the video of when they went back home??? Dude...Blake had a huge crowd...teenage girls and screaming. Those teenage girls will keep voting for the ENTIRE 2 hours!

ccouch
05-17-2007, 12:06 PM
yeah, i totally agree about the teenage vote. i mean, who in the heck was voting for sanjaya if not the boo-hooing preteen girl !?! i think the younger vote is likely huge and wasn't going to be going to a more mature singer regardless of how great melinda was.

imo - blake is definitely entertaining and fun to watch. his beatboxing is awesome. my hubby who is a dj loves that he can "scratch" with his voice. but honestly...jordin is a much better vocalist. i think she deserves to win.

i agree w/ tamra about the fixing thing. there have been a number of surprises in seasons past, and times when the judges have said how wrong america got it. i think it was an unlucky draw for melinda. i expected her to make it to the finale, but i guess that's just the way it goes.

okay, now that i've written an essay on a reality show and appear to have no life....gotta go do something productive ;)

sinead
05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
I have had a problem with the way they do the votes on this show for years. I really like the way Dancing with the Stars does it (yep, I'm a reality TV junkie--I watch them all! Ok, not Flavor of Love or I Love New York, but most of them! lol) and has have the votes come from the judges (who know what they're doing) and the other half from the viewing audience.

No doubt, though, Melinda will have a huge career regardless of when she went out--Blake and Jordin, too. They all appeal to different markets, I think. I think Melinda can do anything, so she'll have her pick, Blake can do the pop/hip hop/blendy thing, and Jordin will probably go pop. Sounds good to me. Clive what's-his-name...the BMG producer guy...struck gold this year!

scrappinmichele
05-17-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't think it's fixed. I think what happens is the teeny boppers who have nothing better to do vote over and over and over for the whole 2 hours that you can vote so they end up having a HUGE say. I only vote once. And I do think that towards the end it ends up being more of a popularity contest than anything because they all have very good voices. I do think Melinda had the best voice, but I voted for Jordin because I think she'd be a better American Idol. So...I don't think it's fixed and it's not always who has the best voice, but who is liked the best. I just love Jordin! Maybe it's the innocence of being 17...I don't know. But she appeals to me. LOL! :D

scrappinmichele
05-17-2007, 03:07 PM
I agree Sarah. I mean, did you see the video of when they went back home??? Dude...Blake had a huge crowd...teenage girls and screaming. Those teenage girls will keep voting for the ENTIRE 2 hours!

LOL...OK maybe I should read before I say anthing cuz it was already said. :D So...I agree! :D

Nonnie917
05-17-2007, 04:23 PM
I just had to share this thought from one of the ladies from another site I belong too. She agreed with my feelings of the show being fixed and this is part of what she said

. . . . ."My take is that Jordan is SUPPOSED to win and they need Melinda off so that it is a clear win between Blake and Jordan.

From watching the way many competitions work (step-daughter was in beauty pageants and horse shows) I know they often bury the REAL second place at 3rd or 4th place so the winner shines way above the second place and causes less controversery.
Yeah...it is all fixed, I am convinced."

Kind of makes sense to me. I don't think that Jordan could have won (and I believe that she will) if Melinda had stayed. I do agree with the rest of you, they will all get recording contracts, but Melinda will have input on hers whereas Jordon won't until her contract with19 Entertainment is up. I wasn't trying to stir up a hornets nest, I was just so angry over what took place last night that I had to sound off. Sorry if I caused any problems.

tamra
05-17-2007, 04:34 PM
No, of course you didn't cause any problems!
About what you just shared about what the lady at the other board said - well to me, if they can "fix" it where Melinda gets kicked off so that Jordin would win against Blake, then they could also just as easily "fix" it where she gets kicked off at the end anyway. KWIM? If they can fix it at this point, they could also fix it in the finale just the same. They wouldn't have had to kick her off now. That's just my opinion. I feel the way that many of the others seem to also - there were just more teenagers voting.

I DO think Melinda is great though :)

Laura_A
05-17-2007, 04:35 PM
It's Thursday night and I just finished watching... we get it a day late here. OMG... I'm in total shock. I just KNEW it would be Melinda and Jordin in the finals. I LOVE LOVE Blake... he's from my home town of Bothell, WA... but I just didn't think he'd overtake the girls. I think he's MAD talented though. I'd say Jordin will take the title, but after tonight, jeeze, anything is possible now.

scrappinmichele
05-17-2007, 06:03 PM
I still think that Jordin could have won over Melinda because she does have a fantastic voice too. But from the start I told my dh that it would be Blake & Jordin. I am really surprised that Melinda made it this far only because she has a different type of voice. Like that girl that went on to do the DreamGirls...she got voted off early too and I think it's because of the type of voice. ABsolutely wonderful voice, but not the pop star type of voice. She will probably go on to do some soul singing or Broadway or something like that. But Jordin will appeal to the masses more.

And I read once that the record deal the winners get SUCKS! They hardly get any of the money from any of the deals they make and anything they do that represents American Idol is almost free...included in what they are required to do for the record deal. So...they said that the people who often benefit the most financially are the 2nd & 3rd place who get to do whatever they want and almost always end up with a record deal only they can negotiate and get a better deal than they would have if they won the whole shabang. They also can negotiate other things and do more than they could if they won. The gist of the article was that those who end in 2nd or 3rd end up being better off than the winner.

Laura_A
05-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Another great thing about the way Dancing with the Stars does it is, somehow, you can only vote as many times as there are contestants (minus one- make sense). That's fair in my book. It's not fixed, but america sure gets it wrong sometimes. Like when Chris Daughtry got voted off... I SO thought he'd be in the finale that year.

As much as I hate Simon's delivery... I have to give him props... he's usually dead on in his opinions. Unfortunately this time he was right and the voters got it wrong. Actually, you really can't go wrong with any of the three... I love them all.

meems
05-17-2007, 10:08 PM
I agree Melinda has the best voice and is a very consistent performer but she doesn't seem to have the star quality that would make her stand out more.

I'm with Simon about Jordin, wish she'd sing younger stuff.

I wish Ryan would stop picking on Simon. Is that supposed to be funny?

meems
05-17-2007, 10:09 PM
oh and since we're on the topic of Idol, I came across this video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=OGna-ONullA) last night. I thought it was hilarious!

ccouch
05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
ohmygosh, mimi! that was so funny! i really never cruise around on youtube, but i checked out some of that guy's other videos as well as some of blake's performances. i changed my mind....i thought that jordin should win it and now i think i might be rooting for him!! how easily am i swayed ;)

Valgal
05-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Oh come on, Ryan picking on Simon IS funny, lol! Love all that banter ;) Did I hear Simon suggest that Ryan was drinking last night?

I refuse now and forever will refused to think that the voting is fixed. There is no evidence to support it whatsoever. JMO.

I would absolutely buy an album from any/all three of them. They are all wonderful and this is the first time I've felt this way in any season.

scrappinmichele
05-18-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm with you Val. Maybe I'm naive...LOL! But I don't want to think it's fixed either. I do agree with Laura that I think you shouldn't be able to vote more than once. It becomes more of a "who can vote the most" contest.

And I think Simon is the most honest. Well Randy is pretty honest, but Paula just wants to be everyone's friend. It's not very often that she says anything bad. And when she does she'll usually spin it by saying "you look great" and leave it at that. LOL! How she got that gig I'll never know!!!!

I always find it so amusing in the try outs when someone is so obvisouly bad and they tell Simon he knows nothing about good singing. LOL! I'm going to miss my weekly American Idol after next week. What will I do on Tuesday and Wednesday nights? My kids know that have to be settled and quiet during Mom's Idol. I might have to leave a few on the DVR just so I can get my peace and quiet!

ccouch
05-18-2007, 11:06 AM
I know just what you mean, Michele! It's quiet time during Idol for sure. I can't quite figure out why Camille wants to play with her loudest toys (flute,piano, etc.) when the show is on though. Hey, maybe she's a budding musician.

As far as what's next for Tues nights....I loved watching So You Think You Can Dance last season. I thought that show was alot of fun.

scrappinmichele
05-19-2007, 03:20 PM
LOL! christine! She must hear those Idol singers and it inspires the musician her her! :D

Laura_A
05-19-2007, 04:44 PM
It's TOTALLY an attention thing. I watch 2 hours of TV a week... the 2 nights of AI. My girls KNOW it's quiet time when it comes on, but as soon as it starts, they're bouncing off the ceiling. I just know it's because they realize mommy is paying attention to something other than them. GRR!

InLoveWithDOTS
05-19-2007, 05:34 PM
After tonight, I am done with Idol. That show is FIXED!!! I was a big fan of Melinda's and I cannot believe what happened tonight. That is why I think the show is fixed. Sorry, but Blake just is NOT that good. For that reason I hope Jordan wins it.
I dont think its fixed. America voted and Melinda just wasnt it. Even from reading this thread, I think it's obvious that Melinda should go.

No matter who wins now, I won't be unhappy but I do REALLY like Blake. He is so fresh and original!

meems
05-19-2007, 11:06 PM
It's TOTALLY an attention thing. I watch 2 hours of TV a week... the 2 nights of AI. My girls KNOW it's quiet time when it comes on, but as soon as it starts, they're bouncing off the ceiling. I just know it's because they realize mommy is paying attention to something other than them. GRR!
same here!

scrappinmichele
05-20-2007, 08:38 AM

LOL! How dare you take your attention from them. :D I put my youngest to bed and my older 2 like to watch it with me and we all climb in my bed and watch it and they all fall asleep before it's over. That's my trick! LOL! Now my 4 yr old usually stands at the end of the bed whining about how much he HATES Mommy's idol and I make him popcorn to keep him happy and he has to sit on the floor and eat it.