PDA

View Full Version : Layers

lengguy75
09-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm so frustrated with adobe photoshop.
Can someone please help and teach me how to create layers.
What I do is open a new file which becomes the background instantly. Then when I click on the add layer, I can't seem to add another image. How do you add another image to a previous layer? All I can do is add a layer with solid colors/gradient. Please help me!

MandaBean
09-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Hey there! Well, I don't know how much help I will be, but I'll try. Create a new blank canvas.If you want to add a picture on top, you open the picture and then choose to Select>All. You should see the little marching ants all around your picture. Choose to Edit>Copy. Close the picture or minimize it. Move to your blank canvas and Edit>Paste. You should now see the picture in a new layer on your canvas. If you want to create a new layer without adding another image, simply go up to Layer>New>Layer and select "OK". You can rename the layer if you want also. Hope this helps!

paula_duncan
09-04-2005, 02:13 AM
I think an easier way would be to open you new file in the size you want with either a white or transparent background (doesn't really matter too much). Then open the paper, picture or element you would like to add. Select the move tool and just click hold and drag the image to the new file. It will automatically add a new layer for that item and each item you drag will add a new layer.

Also if you wanted to draw something on a layer you would create a new layer...make sure it is selected and add your brush or circle or whatever you want to that layer. If you can't see it it means that there might be another layer on top hiding it. Just select the layer you want to see and click, hold and drag up to the top.

Once you are finished you just flatten the layers and save. Voila!

MarshaZepeda
09-04-2005, 02:33 AM
One lil hint... (well, my preference actually...) I never FLATTEN an image just in case I want to go back and change something later. Once an image is flattened, that's it. No ifs ands or buts about it. All chances to edit are gone forever. You can however, flatten and save as v.2 or something. But as far as the layers go, I drag and drop onto the canvas, too. Much easier for me... :teeth_smi (To add a new layer, click on the lil paper looking thing in the bottom right corner of your layers pallette... hth!)

paula_duncan
09-04-2005, 02:56 AM
Actually you can go back as long as you don't flatten, save and close.....if you leave the image open after you save it you can just go to edit and step back and it will undo the flattening. I find if I don't flatten before saving I encounter saving jpeg errors....that might just be my system though....but you can definitely go back.

lengguy75
09-04-2005, 03:22 AM
Geez, thanks ladies! I didn't expect it to be that easy. I'm a happier digiscrapper now!

happyrobyn
09-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Oh yes ... figure out layers and you gain instant happiness! You can do anything with layers!