PDA

View Full Version : actions? what the heck.....???

Ms. Scrappy Pants
09-08-2005, 01:30 AM
action movies.... got it!
action jackson.... know him!
action on a date.... dont remember it, but know what it is!
but for the life of me, everyone's talking about "chipboard actions" and what not.... and I have no idea what the heck they are talking about..... I know the famous and talented scientific baked good (code talk so I don't get in trouble for mentioning another website?!?!?!?) makes some fabo "actions" and I've been to her website (am I allowed to say that here?) but I'm working on PSE 3.0 and I'm not sure there are as many actions for that program... am I right? Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Laura_A
09-08-2005, 04:09 AM
Hmmmm, I must be WAY behind cuz I don't think I have even heard of "actions". Darn, now I'm curious. LOL

Witchy Mama
09-08-2005, 04:49 AM
um I know actions as short cuts for different effects, like if you want your photo sepia tone, then you click that action and it will do all the steps for you. Maybe there is a different kind of actions I don't know about LMAO

MandaBean
09-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Basically what Witchy Mama said. The actions you are referring to, take quite a few steps and combine them all into one BIG step so that it's easier for us to use them. You download the action..put it into your program's preset actions folder, and in your actions window...you can run the action. JEEZaloo..how many times does one sentence need the word ACTION! :) Does any of that make sense to you? I'm not always the best at giving directions. Have fun experimenting!!

OH..forgot to mention! The purpose of the action is to make something plain and ordinary like a simple paint circle into something *magical* like a chipboard circle.

MarshaZepeda
09-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah, actions are sorta like filters - VERY ADDICTING! I started using actions when I found Dave Jasecks. The ones I use are kinda like shortcuts for filters. The "writer" will combine various filters to add effects to a photo, text or element.

One thing that I do though is I never add anything to the ADOBE program files. I keep seperate folders in my hard drive for all of my downloaded things (brushes, fonts, actions, styles, etc...) and load when I'm ready to use them. Otherwise, keeping them all loaded will eventually slow your program down...

hth!

MandaBean
09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
That IS a good tip Marsha! No wonder my PS loads SO slow. :)

Ms. Scrappy Pants
09-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Ok Ok.... so at first it sounded like manda bean was saying "beep boop bop boop beep beep beep" but then when I read the word "MAGIC" then it made sense to me.... because that's what it seems like to me.... like you just click on it and *fwoop* it's different..... so yeah.... I'm getting it now.......

Hey! Thanks guys for helping me get a little action!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

MarshaZepeda
09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
LOL! No problem! I hope you enjoy getting into ACTION! LOL!

MandaBean
09-08-2005, 01:41 PM
beep boop bop boop beep beep beep..glad you're catching on!!! :)

~~Andie~~
09-08-2005, 06:03 PM
lol. love actions...and yes they are addicting!

paula_duncan
09-09-2005, 02:55 AM
You know you can create your own actions as well by recording all the steps you do to get an effect. So if you do a tutorials for a certain effect and don't really want to write down each step and store those steps on the hardrive or have to go back to follow the steps again for another project you can record the steps as you do them and save your own actions. It's great fun! And in the end makes life a bit easier.

AprilVirgo
10-24-2005, 12:24 AM
I think that the "actions" you're talking about are the same thing as "scripts" in PaintShopPro. I just recently discovered them and they're God sends! Essentially, they're like a series of steps that are recorded and then when you hit play (at least in PSP) it does that same steps all over again without having to go through the moves.

For example; if you have a group of pictures that you want to all be reduced by half, then given a border,a drop shadow and a texture. You could do all those things for the first picture, while recording the steps it takes to do it. And then you just use that recording to complete those steps over and over again on the other pictures.

UnDecided
10-24-2005, 03:01 AM
I've been meaning to create some of my own, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I've also been meaning to decipher the mister retro one... another thing on my "to do" list.

But, since I haven't done them yet, maybe someone can answer a question for me: Is it going to go quicker then when I actually record the action (like, minus the pauses between steps) or play it back in realtime?

And is it really as easy as pushing a record button?

holly
10-24-2005, 10:00 AM
fast fast fast!!!

thequeenofquirk
10-24-2005, 02:29 PM
ok, so i get WHAT an action is, but i don't get the HOW....how exactly do you record them? it seems like i am always doing the same things over and over again....i would love to know HOW to record my steps. :)