PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Linens!

paula_duncan
09-15-2005, 01:08 AM
How do you get the realistic looking linen textures? I think it has something to do with layering but I am trying to get the white hole-like appearance instead of just the lines with shadows.

SimplySara
09-15-2005, 11:42 AM
If what you mean is like what I have in my Fleurs D' Automne kit, then here is how you do it.

You need a scan or high resolution picture of linen, or a grid like fabric. I use adobe ps, so I hope this applies to you.

Desaturate the linen, and play with the contrast to make it show up more. I place the linen on top of my paper. Then I go to select > color range. I click on a dark section of the linen. You will see a preview box of what is selected. Play with the slider to see how much linen you want. Then click ok. You'll now have marching ants on your linen. While the ants are marching select the layer below...this would be your paper. Now press ctrl X (cut). Delete the linen on top. Now you paper has holes in it. Make a new bottom layer and fill with whatever color you want to show through.

I hope that makes sense. :teeth_smi

Sara

Laura_A
09-15-2005, 04:05 PM
YAY Sara! I'm sure you know by now that Fleurs d'Autumne is one of my all time FAVE kits and I always wondered how you did that effect. THANK YOU for sharing. I wanta try it now. heehee

KristyAnn
09-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Sara ... are you sure you aren't Mr. Retro in disguise.... I would have thought you "machine washed" those. Now I am going to run out and buy some linen fabric. Thanks for all the excellent tutorials!! I can't wait to try it.

SimplySara
09-15-2005, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=KristyAnn]Sara ... are you sure you aren't Mr. Retro in disguise.... I would have thought you "machine washed" those. QUOTE]

Kristy, It's funny that you say that. I was doing that before I got Mr. Retro, and when I finally got Mr. Retro I laughed b/c it's very similar to how I do things.

Glad it made sense to you ladies!

Sara

paula_duncan
09-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Thank you so much Sara. It so happens I have some high resolution linen on my comp so I am going to give it a try. I will let you know how it turns out.

paula_duncan
09-15-2005, 11:49 PM
It think it worked great! What do you think? Thanx so much!!
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jore25/hibiscus2.jpg

Laura_A
09-16-2005, 03:16 AM
WOW Paula! AWEOSME.. not I have to try this for sure!

What is Mr. Retro? :embaresse

paula_duncan
09-16-2005, 04:10 AM
I think I might try using the water paper filter before I do the linen effect to give a bleeding look.

thequeenofquirk
09-16-2005, 11:19 AM
how cool! i LOVE that look! it's awesome!

SimplySara
09-16-2005, 12:06 PM
That looks great!! Mr. Retro is a filter for adobe ps. It's nice, but I prefer to distress by hand.

Sara

c_lyle
09-16-2005, 01:43 PM
It think it worked great! What do you think? Thanx so much!!

Looks great Paula! Now I need to figure out how to do that in PSE3...:thinking:

suzy
09-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Thank you Sara - this is fantastic. I have been wondering how people do this for a while - I thought it might involve scanning some real linen, but I dont have a scanner so I never tried it.

Paula - your paper is lovely.

scrappin4twins
09-20-2005, 09:29 AM
does it matter what color linen you scan?

SimplySara
09-20-2005, 11:17 AM
It doesnt matter what color the linen is. Just desaturate it and adjust the contrast so it wont affect the color of the paper, and it makes it easier to select color range.

Sara

Leora
09-21-2005, 10:42 PM
WOW...what a FAB tip!!! I need to try this now! Maybe you should submit this tip to CK (if it hasn't already been in the mag before).

MariKoegelenberg
10-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Absolutely love the tip but how do you do select/color in PSE?

SheScraps
10-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Sara thank you so much for sharing your secret!!

Paula that paper is amazing looking!!!! Love it love it!!

lil_angie88
10-04-2005, 08:25 PM
What a great tip...! I've always wondered how to add texture to my backgrounds. I always figured it was a brush or something. I followed the tip and it turned out amazing!! Thanks Sara!!!