PDA

View Full Version : How do you resize Digital Photos?

MariKoegelenberg
10-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Okay I know this is probably something everybody except me knows, Lol! But how do you resize your digital photos to 300dpi succesfully so that they do not become grainy when you print them out?

holly
10-04-2005, 04:38 PM
i always shoot in the highest quality of .jpeg or in raw - therefore, when i change to 300 dpi, i adjust my image size to what the final will be, like say i want an 8 x 10 at 300 dpi - i set my crop tool in photoshop for those measurements, crop the photo with the tool and it adjusts accordingly.

obviously you cannot go up in dpi without shrinking your picture size.

frankcassiesmom
10-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Well I was told that if you need to upsize it, then go 5% at a time, deselecting the transformation each time to give the program a chance to fill in the gaps a bit better.

Kim

jasbeanie
10-06-2005, 09:57 PM
best bet is to shoot them high quality in the first place..

MariKoegelenberg
10-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks so much for the advice I think I have got the hang of it now. I have my camera at the highest setting it can go. Do they actually have a digital camera that shoots 300dpi? Man wouldn't you just love to buy that!

AmyJo
10-14-2005, 10:35 PM
cameras don't shoot at 300 dpi - they shoot at a specific number of pixels across and pixels high, so if your camera shoots 1200 x 1600 - it shoots 1200 x 1600 whether you view those pixels at 100ppi or 300ppi - they are still the same number of pixels. Every camera I have ever had transfers to the pc at 72ppi (which is standard screen res.) but the number of pixels varies based on what you have it set to.

Make sense? I have never seen an image come off of a camera and into PS at anything but 72ppi - never actually checked any of my other programs like Irfanview, Kodak's Easy Share, rarely even use those programs...

meredith
10-24-2005, 06:50 PM
i always shoot in the highest quality of .jpeg or in raw - therefore, when i change to 300 dpi, i adjust my image size to what the final will be, like say i want an 8 x 10 at 300 dpi - i set my crop tool in photoshop for those measurements, crop the photo with the tool and it adjusts accordingly.

obviously you cannot go up in dpi without shrinking your picture size.

holly, i have heard of people talking about raw format before and what exactly does that mean? i mean, is that something that i should be looking for a camera to be capable to do if i want to get high-quality large photos to use on LOs? I really want to investigate the digital SLRs because I hope to get a new camera or money for one this christmas, so if this is something that would help me with my search, i would appreciate your input :)

Kim2002
10-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Here's a nice article about shooting in the RAW:
http://photoshopnews.com/2005/06/08/shooting-in-the-raw-perfecting-the-image/