PDA

View Full Version : Mod Podge discoveries

kelleighr
06-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Okay, so my mother-in-law tried to clean the corner of her paper covered tin album with a wet washcloth. Hmm. You can imagine the mess she created, so I offered to fix it for her. I had forgotten to take pictures of it anyway, so I was looking for an excuse to take that baby back home. Of course, my almost-two-year-old wanted to look through it and then sneezed all over it, resulting in more water spots, so there ya go. The cleanup had to be done.

So, I bought my first huge, honkin' container of Mod Podge. Seriously, how cool is that stuff? Of course, I was completely clueless about how it works or the best techniques, etc. Now, I know a little more, but I also wanted to hear your Mod Podge discoveries.

Here are my tips:

Using a foam brush, brush the stuff over the background that you will be sticking your paper to. So, if it is a metal tin lid, brush it over the lid, if it is a strip of paper, brush it on the paper. Then, brush it on the back of your paper that you are sticking. (I sure hope this makes sense.) Now, I've never hung wallpaper, but I hear that you used to have to "size" it by putting glue on the wall, then on your wallpaper, then sticking it up there. That is basically what I did with the Mod Podge. (Hope that just clicked with someone!)

Let it dry for a couple of minutes (like 2) until both of the glued pieces are a bit tacky, and then stick the two pieces together. This whole process prevents the curling and buckling that happens if you just brush the Mod Podge over the top of your project without first going through his process.

After your project is dry (maybe 15 minutes), brush it with more Mod Podge to seal it all up! Now, if my son sneezes on my project, it won't cause damage!

OK, now give me your tips! I have this huge, honkin' container and I'm gonna start using it!!

MrsWresh
06-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I will be watching this thread. I am a hybrid junkie myself and love new tips and tricks!

Kelleigh - I always forget to take pictures of my projects too! No wonder my galleries are so sad!

annscraps
06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Question from a newbie - does it make your project look varnished?

kelleighr
06-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Question from a newbie - does it make your project look varnished?

Well, I bought the matte Mod Podge, and it isn't very shiny, but adds just a touch of gloss. You can look at my most recent post (http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/105930/ppuser/13460) to see what I mean. The inside pages look just a bit glossier in the pictures.

I bet the glossy kind makes it look varnished.

kelleymickus
06-03-2008, 05:01 PM
That tin is soooooo cute - I have to make one! You didn't happen to do a little tutorial on that did you?

kelleighr
06-03-2008, 05:23 PM
No, I didn't! Basically, I made my pages first (kind of like a quickpage) then I added my photo behind it all and shrunk to fit. It took me a while to get the first couple of pages rolling, but then it was super easy after that.

Make the inside pages approx 3.25 x 1.9 (but I've also seen them 3.117 x 1.863), and the cover, inside and back should be approx 3.5 x 2.25 (or 3.65 x 2.23). It works best if you only make 10 inside pages so you can fit it all on a strip of 12 x 3.3 cardstock scored every 2 inches. I sure hope that makes sense. Just fold up accordian style, glue the last flap to the bottom of the tin and done!

In my example, I didn't "size" my pages with Mod Podge, so they puckered a bit, but I learned my lesson and the next tin I did (which I will post soon) is nice and smooth.

kelleymickus
06-03-2008, 05:33 PM
The only part that doesn't make sense to me is the 12x3.3 cardstock scored every 2 inches. Is that the size of paper before you feed it through your printer? Sorry to sound like such an idiot but I have only done to hybrid projects in my life LOL!

mturnidge
06-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Ummm...me and Mod Podge don't get along when using it as a sealer. Ugh. I used a foam brush and tried putting thin coats on, but ended up with very noticeable brush strokes. Any advice for that?

kelleighr
06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
The only part that doesn't make sense to me is the 12x3.3 cardstock scored every 2 inches. Is that the size of paper before you feed it through your printer? Sorry to sound like such an idiot but I have only done to hybrid projects in my life LOL!

Sorry! I use a strip of cardstock as my accordian. I cut out the individual pages of my album and stick them on the cardstock. I think it adds a little bit more color and stability.

Ummm...me and Mod Podge don't get along when using it as a sealer. Ugh. I used a foam brush and tried putting thin coats on, but ended up with very noticeable brush strokes. Any advice for that?

I get noticeable brush strokes, too. I would love some advice about that. (However, in truth, it doesn't really bother me that much because I use matte and the strokes are not distracting.)

kelleighr
06-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Here is a tin album I just posted. You'll see how it goes together. You'll also see those brush marks! However, you WON'T see my paper buckling! (is that even how you spell that word?)

click for a larger view!
http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/data/655/thumbs/Smarshmallows-Tin-Album_web.jpg (http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/106134)

Jubeefish
06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Kelleigh - Great tips for the Mod Podge - I have some here I haven't used in forever. I hope the lid still opens. :)

What kind of printer did you use for your photos?
Also, what did you use for your background when you took your picture -it looks great!

Thanks!

anotherjenny
06-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I agree, Mod Podge is fun! :)

mormishmom
06-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Yea! This is the thread I needed. I'm going to attempt my first mod podge project this weekend and I was at a loss for what was the best way to go about it.

kelleighr
06-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Kelleigh - Great tips for the Mod Podge - I have some here I haven't used in forever. I hope the lid still opens. :)

What kind of printer did you use for your photos?
Also, what did you use for your background when you took your picture -it looks great!

Thanks!

I use an HP Photosmart C6180 All-in-One which I bought about a year ago. It seriously rocks. I buy the ink in individual cartridges for $10 each. I print on Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte Double Sided. The paper REALLY matters for your project. You get different results from the different paper you use. If you want a finished project that is truly what you see on the screen, use matte photo paper. If you like the look of canvas, use textured CS. Regular cardstock absolutely soaks up your ink and your finished result looks washed out. But, maybe that is a look you are going for. Whatever! (Wow, this is quite the monologue, and not at all what you asked!!)

Oh, and I finally bought a white sheet for my background! Hee, hee! No more white towel for me. I didn't do anything fancy either, except play with the levels in Photoshop.

kelleighr
06-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Yea! This is the thread I needed. I'm going to attempt my first mod podge project this weekend and I was at a loss for what was the best way to go about it.

Oooh! Link us up in this thread when you finish it! Can't wait!

KimberlyGiarrusso
06-03-2008, 11:30 PM

I like to put it on with the tip of the brush, then wipe across it with the side. Then I wipe with the side the other way. That gives me more of a cross pattern and I like that better becuase my eye doesn't get pulled either way.

With mod podge I always say...less is more.

Phoenix
10-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Well... I spent all day yesterday reading this forum (Hybrid Forum) and I loved everything I saw. Anyway, Im posting in this thread to bring it back up the front. That I am so glad I came across this thread coz it just so happens to be that I have a tin lying around home here! The thing is I dont know what or who Im gonna be making it for. Anyway here is my tin.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q298/Phoenix_Scrapz/Tin.jpg

Oh excuse the crappy photo and the smoking tin Oh! see the evidence of tobacco and filters. lol. Anyway, I havent used this tin for years so its been lying around amongst other junk i have here.

This .... will be my first time doing a hybrid LOL. Ive been attracted to it for a few years now but kept holding back from it. I know it will be addictive. But I want to do this lol.

So, being a newbie to hybrid, I have never done any form of crafting or traditional scrapbooking ever in my life so I will need some help.

1. How do I measure what size to create my layouts? top of lid, inside lid, inside tin.
2. I saw ModPodge was used for your tin. Are their any other ingredients I may need to buy in order to make my tin? (you see.... if I didnt know of hybrid I wouldve just used normal PVA glue and just stuck it there lol.)
3. You talk about "Sizing" lol... you did wonder if you talked sense... but Im sorry to say I didnt understand a thing about what you meant in Sizing. I kinda know what you are saying when wallpaperers talk about sizing but my small brain cant comprehend how it applies to the tin or any hybrid project if you know what i mean.
4. As you can see my tin has imprints in it or embossing. Which I dont mind. This will be my first Hybrid Project so Im willing to give it a go. Is there anything else I need to know? Remember Im a newbie

Hugs
Melissa

Phoenix
10-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Oops I should also state that this is not the normal altoid tin so using a template someone else used would be out of the question. It just means i will need to start from the scratch.

Hugs
Melissa

kelleighr
10-16-2008, 04:38 PM
1. How do I measure what size to create my layouts? top of lid, inside lid, inside tin.
2. I saw ModPodge was used for your tin. Are their any other ingredients I may need to buy in order to make my tin? (you see.... if I didnt know of hybrid I wouldve just used normal PVA glue and just stuck it there lol.)
3. You talk about "Sizing" lol... you did wonder if you talked sense... but Im sorry to say I didnt understand a thing about what you meant in Sizing. I kinda know what you are saying when wallpaperers talk about sizing but my small brain cant comprehend how it applies to the tin or any hybrid project if you know what i mean.
4. As you can see my tin has imprints in it or embossing. Which I dont mind. This will be my first Hybrid Project so Im willing to give it a go. Is there anything else I need to know? Remember Im a newbie

Hugs
Melissa

Hey Melissa! Glad you are joining us! I'll do my best to answer your questions, but I am certainly not an expert. Hopefully someone else can jump in here, too, and answer your questions from a different angle!

1. Yes, measure the top of the tin, bottom of tin, inside lid and then inside the tin. For the inside (where you will put your pages), shrink your measurements just a tiny bit because you will be putting pages in there that need to be able to come out easily and not get stuck. I'm going to assume that you are going to do an accordian fold for the inside pages. If so, you should really do a test-drive first and cut a sheet of cardstock, fold it and put it inside your tin to make sure the size is correct.

When you print your pages, it is essential that you figure out the borderless option on your printer. It is very frustrating to discover that edges of pages are being cut off or that the size is not what you expected. Print a test page of your project in grayscale on cheep paper before you print the final copy just to make sure it is printing the way you expect it to print.

2. I used Mod Podge so that my kids wouldn't ruin the project with their drooly hands. If that is not an issue, you don't have to use it, and you can just glue your project with your regular adhesive. Just keep in mind that wet adhesives will make your pages pucker. My dry adhesive of choice is Tombow Mono Adhesive (Permenant) and Glue Dots. Some gals don't like Mod Podge, and I would LOVE to hear the brands and prices of other sealing mediums! Mod Podge is the first/only sealer I ever bought and I would love to have something that is easier to work with.

3. I heard the term "sizing" on a decorating show when they were talking about hanging wallpaper. I'm pretty sure I used it correctly, but I have never actually hung wallpaper, so who knows! All I know is that if you plan to seal your project with Mod Podge, you need to prepare the surfaces first! I think I described my process above. (Someone jump in here and tell me what YOU do!!)

4. One last thing I would say is make sure you are printing your project on quality paper! My favorite is Matte Photo paper!

Phoenix
10-16-2008, 06:50 PM
2. I used Mod Podge so that my kids wouldn't ruin the project with their drooly hands. If that is not an issue, you don't have to use it, and you can just glue your project with your regular adhesive. Just keep in mind that wet adhesives will make your pages pucker. My dry adhesive of choice is Tombow Mono Adhesive (Permenant) and Glue Dots. Some gals don't like Mod Podge, and I would LOVE to hear the brands and prices of other sealing mediums! Mod Podge is the first/only sealer I ever bought and I would love to have something that is easier to work with.

Ok too late, Ive just returned from shopping and bought me a bottle of mod podge. Its ok I need to know and see what it does for me. The brand I purchased is Plaid and it is matte also because i think thats what you said you had before. But it says in little letters "non-tacky" LOL so i hope I do still get that tacky that you spoke of otherwise its ok I will learn to compromise.

3. I heard the term "sizing" on a decorating show when they were talking about hanging wallpaper. I'm pretty sure I used it correctly, but I have never actually hung wallpaper, so who knows! All I know is that if you plan to seal your project with Mod Podge, you need to prepare the surfaces first! I think I described my process above. (Someone jump in here and tell me what YOU do!!)

Do you mean by sanding the tin first? or should leavin the tin "as is" and going ahead with the modpodge?

Everything else you said.. has pretty much helped me I think.

Thanks

Hugs
Melissa

kelleighr
10-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Do you mean by sanding the tin first? or should leavin the tin "as is" and going ahead with the modpodge?

I wouldn't sand it first, or you could get rust! Nope, just "prepare" it with the Mod Podge!

jjstar
10-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Melissa...I'm excited for you to try something new!

Lately I've been searching for an alternative to mod podge. For something reason it has been a bit tacky for way too long after finishing a project (I have a clipboard that I still can't get the base paper off of). Depending on where you live you may experience some of this, I've discovered that because I live in a very humid location it seems to affect the mod podge - odd I know but it doesn't do this to me when I've done things in Ohio compared to at home (SC).

So for my latest project (http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/129604)I went a different route. I used an all purpose spray adhesive (duro was the brand of mine). This was what I stray directly onto the chipboard pages and then layed the digi printed page on top while it was still tacky. Then over them I used a spray clear acrylic sealer (plaid was the brand I used). I'm really pleased with the results. No peeling, not tacky and best of all I was able to start and finish the project within a few hours.

TeresaP
10-16-2008, 10:46 PM
oh Jill that is great because we are plenty humid here in AL and I am about to make clipboards for my daughter's teachers and I need to give it to them the end of the month :) will be looking for those early next week :)

Phoenix
10-17-2008, 04:39 AM
Ok its Humid here where i live too. But New Zealand is a different atmosphere. More crisp that any other country however north island is more humid that the south island. But I will still give this mod podge a go. I have to experience it myself I guess and I have already bought it so yeah. We all learn from our mistakes... the thing is we have to have them first to know them LOL. Sometimes!!

Hugs
Melissa

Phoenix
10-17-2008, 11:00 AM
OMG 3am right now and this is baaadddd LOL. The fact that Im not tired yet and still playing with my tin. So far I have only done the lid cover and inside. Oh btw I have so far printed on cheap paper. Getting it all lined up etc and just trying my best to get the size right. I remember reading on the most recent blog challenge about how kelleigh mentioned making elements "pop". I printed the elements i wanted to pop but didnt put the elements on the actual layout LOL. But hey I am testing on cheap paper for now. I will make a note to remember to add the elements on to the layout as well. Oh I forgot to mention I am printing in color... I know!!! silly me but apparently my printer is meant to be running out of ink but the colors have been running great lately. Sigh I am learning and Im having fun! Anyway, Im off to bed!!

I knew this would be addicting :fool:

Hugs
Melissa

jjstar
10-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Melissa...it is great that you're enjoying the process!!

kelleighr
10-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Keep working at it and give us some updates! This is FUN!!

Phoenix
10-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Ok guys LOL heres an update so far...

Cover - Lid - created in 14cm w x 8cm h - Found that tracing around the edge of the bottom of tin gave me a perfect cut for the lid (cover). Tried to keep the work within 0.5cm from edge. However I like how elements get cut off.

Inside cover - lid - created in 14cm w x 8cm h - I used guides 1cm from the edge to give me an idea of what I need to work within. I had cut out a 13.5cm w x 7.5cm h template (paper btw) that I need to cut a few mm's inside of it and it fitted perfectly on the inside of the lid. I wanted elements to pop on this one. At first I forgot to put the elements on the layout but realised this whilst testing so now Ive added them on and am prepared to have this printed on photopaper.

Layout1 - This was a little more difficult as I wasnt sure I wanted a printed border on the layouts or just leave it as is. I made a template in psp for the actual cutting of the layout as I wanted those rounded corners. Rather than relying on a paper template to cut it. The exact size for the layout template is 12.29cm w x 6.31cm h. Which is around about what i wanted 12.3 x 6.3 because the cardstock template which I made is exactly 12.63cm w x 6.65cm h which is also what i wanted to be able to give that border around the layouts. I did try using scissors for cutting but I am hopeless at cutting so it was easier to use a craft knife and ruler and carefully cut around the corners.

I dont like to journal much so I used the opposite pages to name whose in the photos or what year and where Jordan was at the time of the photo. I wasnt sure how many layouts AND journal pages to make.. so I did 10 of each. I hope they all fit in the tin.

Printing - I printed on glossy photo paper.This was photo paper i had lying in storage for a long time. Paper is drying right now but i think i will leave it for 24 hours (if im not too impatient) Im worried that the modpodge will smear it I hope not. If it does then I will be screaming help from someone coz this is the only paper I have. Anyway first print was a failure. I tried to squeeze as much as I could on to one page but unfortunately (it printed different to what the print preview looks like) some of the images got cut off. so I will be having some wasted photo paper. Oh well.. it was photo paper that was sitting there for a long time doing nothing.

I promise.. as soon as I have it all assembled and done I will definitely come here and post previews of it.

Just a couple of questions...
1. Because I used glossy paper (sorry it dont say matte on the cardboard) will the modpodge smear the photos? If yes is there another alternative?
2. When making the accordian, how do you have it read? ie: when pulled out you have the photo (that was on top before pulling out) on the end of the back side of accordian? Im confused with that bit but Im sure I will work it out when I have the accordian bit done

Hugs
Melissa

Phoenix
10-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Sorry, I have tried using the modpodge on my failed prints and I remember reading that less modgepodge is more. Um well i used as least as I could get it and it did kinda smudge a bit of the images. Whether the ink was still wet or not I dont know. But I dont think I will risk it tho. I might go visit the local scrapbook shop on the Monday or Tuesday if they are open and go show them what I am gonna do and maybe they can come up with better advice and I will look into getting a spray sealant maybe i dunno. Will see.

Cheers

jjstar
10-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I was just going to suggest the sealant. Ultimately if they are inside of the album (tin) you might not need to cover them?

kelleighr
10-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Are you concerned about sticky fingers? If not, then I wouldn't seal the glossy! I used glossy photo paper on this album and LOVE the look of it. The colors are so true to life!! AND, I didn't seal it.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_UPV8_L1cnmQ/SAPpNelKKGI/AAAAAAAAAsI/qlOHjtzH9I4/s400/Grant%27s-1st-b-day-mini_web.jpg

As for orientation, I think that is a personal preference. I have made many with vertical pages and a couple with horizontal. You can see how I did this one. For this project, I did a lot of what you are doing right now. I just measured the inside of the tin and cropped my pages (in this case, most are brag book quick pages) to fit. These pages are printed on matte, and I didn't seal it!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/kelleighr/4th-of-July-tin-album-insid.jpg

Phoenix
10-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I was just going to suggest the sealant. Ultimately if they are inside of the album (tin) you might not need to cover them?

Yes I will look into that. I dont really need to cover them. I think its just a personal preference. I will see how it goes after ive assembled it.

Are you concerned about sticky fingers? If not, then I wouldn't seal the glossy! I used glossy photo paper on this album and LOVE the look of it. The colors are so true to life!! AND, I didn't seal it.

Hmmm no not really concerned. My youngest is older but i have nieces and nephews lol. Although they hardly come around. I will see if I can do without the sealant covering.

I love all your projects you have done kelleigh. Makes me want to do heaps more LOL

I cant wait till ive done mine so I can show you guys. All I have to do now is go buy me some stockcard for the accordian. I thought I had some here but I didnt. If none of the shops have what I want (tomorrow) then I will have to wait till Monday. Sunday for me here right now.

Anyway, thanks for the advice!!

Hugs
Melissa

jesspo
10-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Kelleigh,
What kind of adhesive did you use with the glossy photo paper on the circular album?

kelleighr
10-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Kelleigh,
What kind of adhesive did you use with the glossy photo paper on the circular album?

The glossy photo paper is HP Premium, so the back of it is rather textured. I had a terrible time trying to find adhesive that actually worked for that paper, until I found Beacon Zip Dry. It is a liquid glue that comes in a little bottle with a fine tip. Works great! I also use Tombow Mono-Adhesive (permanent) all the time, so I would imagine that I used a combo of the two on this project. The buttons and things are held on by glue dots! LOVE those little things!

jesspo
10-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks! I'm on a time crunch and don't have time to run to the store for any extras. What if I print my pages on cardstock and adhere them to my cardstock album? Would Modge Podge work for that? I also have double sided tape and liquid scrapbooking glue...oh and of course the ever handy glue sticks.

kelleighr
10-23-2008, 04:53 PM
If you have any other photo paper to print on rather than cardstock, you will be happier with the results. However, if that is your only option, be sure you increase your saturation before printing.

If you are concerned about fingerprints, you can use mod podge to seal it, but if you are on a crunch, you will probably be perfectly happy using your double sided tape. That's what I would do, anyway.

I'm thinking of laying off the mod podge and starting to use the spray sealer that has been mentioned in these threads. Sounds like it is a great option!!

I WOULDN'T use liquid glue on your cardstock!! It WILL bubble your paper.

jesspo
10-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Thank you so much! I'm glad I checked with you first. I'll post my results this weekend!!!

amysum1
10-25-2008, 08:49 AM
You rock Kelleigh! I just wanted to mention, I use a combination of a foam brush and my fingers for spreading the mod podge. I like getting messy and then I don't have brush strokes. LOL!