PDA

View Full Version : Picture Delay???

Laura87
10-17-2005, 09:58 AM
ok, so another digi camera question...
my new photosmart m22 has a "delay". basically when i click the button to take the pic, the pic wont actually "take" till about 2-3 seconds later. so its impossibe to get a pic of a moving object (i.e. my 2 yr old!!) im wondering if all digi cameras do this? its driving me nuts! i cant get the picture im trying to take! and since i dont look through anything, my ds isnt standing still long enough -since he relates taking his pic to me closing one eye and looking throgh the camera w/ the other!! =) i dont like the delay thing!! the moment is long gone by the time it takes the pic!!
HELP!! is it just this brand (if so -im so exchanging it!!) or do all digi cameras do this??
TIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sinead
10-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Some are worse than others. I've got a Fuji FinePix E550 and it's better than you describe, but there's still a lag. Whenever I want to get a picture of something my dd is doing that involves action (ok, that's just about everything!), I use the Sports setting on my camera. Does yours have such a setting? The lag is always worse for me when I'm using the in-camera flash, too. You might try turning the flash off and relying on natural light to see if that helps.

holly
10-17-2005, 10:34 AM
i solved this issue when i went to SLR....love my action shots!

Laura87
10-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks MaggieandMommy!! Ill try the sports thing...I am pretty sure I have that option... =)

Holly- Whats an SLR? And is it pricy? I take it there is no delay w/ it?

So do all digis have this problem? Maybe just some worse then others?

Thanks for your help ladies.

sinead
10-17-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm interested in the SLR thing, too. Most of the SLR cameras that I've priced are up and over $1000, though, which is way out of my budget for a while. Is there something reliable that will give me similar results without the huge hit on the wallet? I'm just an amateur, after all, so I don't know that I really need an SLR, no matter how much I think I'd love it! :thinking:
Laura--I played around with all of the settings on my camera. The portrait one seems to have less delay than the auto setting, too, though sports is definitely the fastest. Sometimes I just switch the settings when I'm trying to capture a certain look--some settings give better results than others depending on the lighting/situation/etc. Good luck and enjoy playing!

AmyJo
10-17-2005, 05:29 PM
With my auto cameras I used to shoot a lot on SPORT - but it's darker, you need good light to use that setting because most times there is no flash and the pictures are grainier.

SLR is the best option, mine set up is around $1500 right now with 3 lenses, but if you buy an older model, they are far less (and if you really aren't pursuing anything but good shots of your kids, it might do for you, I'd never be happy with the older model of anything).

And lastly, both Sony cameras we had, had the SHORTEST by far lag time. I hated our HP camera, it was the first digi cam I ever bought and it was horrid.

suzy
10-17-2005, 07:50 PM
I have a Fuji Finepix S602z and there is a lag on that one too. The only thing is it didnt have it when we first bought the camera, but we had to have it repaired when the zoom wouldnt retract and it has never been the same since. Noone seems to be able to tell me how to get it back the way it was :-( I will have to try that sports thing.

UnDecided
10-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Some are worse than others. I've got a Fuji FinePix E550 and it's better than you describe, but there's still a lag. Whenever I want to get a picture of something my dd is doing that involves action (ok, that's just about everything!), I use the Sports setting on my camera. Does yours have such a setting? The lag is always worse for me when I'm using the in-camera flash, too. You might try turning the flash off and relying on natural light to see if that helps.
I have the same camera and am VERY happy with it. For the price (about $300) the quality of shots can't be beat. I am a journalist and am used to working with the Nikon D2X (oh, about $7,000) but definitely couldn't afford that for home use. Even the Nikon D70 was a little out of my price range at the time (about $1,000) so I shopped around A LOT. The lag time on the Fuji is MUCH better than most of the other comparable cameras out there. But, there is a significant difference when you work with the flash on vs. natural light. And, like most point and shoots, the pics just don't turn out very great with the direct flash on (usually pretty blown out). If you have the money the SLRs are your best bet (such as the D70 or Cannon's Digital Rebel, both very comparable cameras) but for the money the Fuji Finepix cameras are great. Another pretty good option is the Nikon Coolpix cameras, but be sure to get a newer as they have changed a lot over the years. HTH!!

suzy
10-17-2005, 08:13 PM
The problem with buying cameras in Australia is that they are way more expensive then in the US. We paid $1500 for our Fuji (converts to about $1200US), so that gives you an idea of how much an SLR will cost - way out of our price range - LOL!

I hadnt noticed that the lag was bigger with the flash - I will have to check that out next time I use it.

We are about to buy a more compact Conon IXUS 55 which is coming our here in the next few weeks. I cant wait to use it - I love my camera, but it is too bulky to carry around everywhere. It will be nice to have a compact one I can carry in my handbag. Does anyone have the IXUS 55? Is there a lag problem with that?