PDA

View Full Version : What is/what program makes png? (ref: recent challenge)

scrapkk
10-19-2005, 04:49 PM
I was wondering how to scan my handwriting (recent font challenge) or a fall leaf I found today INTO a png type file. I need one with a transparent background to create a page with - right?

I have a scanner, it wants to save files as .tif , .jpg, something called a bitmap?

Do you have to have a special program?

FYI Epson Perfection 2400 Photo (my scanner)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 (my photo editing software)

....I probably am not 'big enough' to try this, but I'd like to try......

MarshaZepeda
10-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Once you scan your stuff into pse, you need to "cut" out the white bg. Once you have the bg "transparent" go FILE > SAVE AS > [pick .png from the list] and viola! hth!

MarshaZepeda
10-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Let me further explain... if you are wanting to make a "font", it's better to use a font making program. If you are trying to use a font by .png, you'll be dragging out layer after layer of letters... get my drift? To cut out something... if it's something as simple as a letter set against a stark white bg, just use your magic eraser tool. Click the white area and the bg will magicall disappear... :shocked: lol! If it's more detailed or set against a busy bg, there are LOTS of ways to do it. It will be more on preference. You can use your pen tool (which is the hardest but most precise), your magnetic lasso, extract tool (in the filter menu) or masking. Do you have any experience with any of these?

frankcassiesmom
10-21-2005, 03:57 PM
there is a plug in called Cybia's Alpha Works that will take the white out of a picture. Scan your handwriting then run the filter and it will take it out. I know it works in PS but not sure about PSE - I hope so

Kim