PDA

View Full Version : Catchlights Spinoff - How do you fake them?

Chef
10-22-2005, 02:24 PM
So, I have read that you can fake catchlights if you don't get them when you actually take the picture. Does anyone know how to fake catchlights with Photoshop? Is there a tut out there for this?

Thanks,
Susan

HeidiD
10-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Good question, Susan! I'd love to know this too.

Becky
10-22-2005, 03:56 PM
OK I found this on another website...and it's for Photoshop. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how well it works....but here it is for what it's worth:

Adding catchlights to eyes:

Catchlights in either the 1 o'clock or 11 o'clock position in the eyes of your subject are desirable.

Start with a separate layer over the main image layer, zoom in the get a real good closeup view of one eye, use the lasso tool (with NO feathering) to draw a catchlight shape, which is usually a slightly distorted rectangle or umbrella shape, use EDIT>FILL (make sure white is your foreground color).

Now duplicate this layer, select the move tool, and position the dupe layer over the other eye (exact same orientation as the first one). Link the two together.

Now this is the key:

lower the opacity of both layers until it looks natural. Having everything on separate layers apart from the main image means you can use trial and error to change or redo things until they are the way you like.

Chef
10-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks Becky! I am going to give this a shot tonight!!!

Susan

HeidiD
10-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Awesome, Becky! You're my hero!

c_lyle
10-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks Becky! I am going to give this a shot tonight!!!

Susan

I'd love to see how you make out, Susan!

jasbeanie
10-23-2005, 12:48 AM
ahhhh sounds interesting..... thanks will go try it out soon.

Kim2002
10-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Have any of you successfully faked them? If so, can you post to the gallery so I can see? I've tried faking them and they just look, well, FAKE - LOL.

Valgal
10-27-2005, 11:06 AM
I wanna see an example too!

DragonFly
10-27-2005, 01:00 PM
I would love to see an example also!

MarshaZepeda
10-27-2005, 01:24 PM
I faked DOG eyeball catchlights, lol! They came out pretty good... :nerd: BUT, since it was for someone else, I have since deleted them off my comp! :retarded:

AndreaBurns
10-29-2005, 11:51 AM
I have seen them, and they can look realistic. Just make sure that they are on the same side where more light is concentrated. It would look funny to have the left side of the face bathed in ligt, but the catchlights on the right side.

AngelinaS
02-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Here's one that I faked catchlights on. I don't know how realistic it looks...:p

I just tried to keep her eyes from looking really dark. I don't think they look great, definitely not gorgeous, natural catchlights. My hope would be that the average person glancing through my albums would just not notice them one way or the other, lol. There was the tiniest little natural catchlight in her left eye. So, that is how I chose the positioning and shape. I just made it larger and also in her right eye. :p

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f371/ACSchwarz/Fake-catchlights-web.jpg