PDA

View Full Version : Scanning for Templates

Phoenix
10-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Im not sure I said it right in the subject line. But my question is mostly directed at kelleigh but anyone can answer for me if they can.

The reason why im asking kelleigh is because I see all the lovely templates in her store. But Im too scared to buy them incase the sizes are different.

Anyway, I have purchased lots of boxes etc... pillow boxes, chinese takeaway box etc etc... and I only have a standard scanner. IE: A4 paper size... i think thats 290mm x 210mm (thinking off the top of my head there).... so not all of the boxes (unassembled) fit on my scanner in one scan. So i was wondering how do you scan them? do you scan one side first then the other? and join them up together in photoshop?

Id love to know

Thanks in advance (TIA)

Hugs
Melissa

TeresaP
10-26-2008, 03:18 PM
if you buy them...you could resize the width of the template to match the width of your paper or whatever the largest side is and then it will fit for printing for you :)

sinead
10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Melissa, I did what Teresa suggested. I just shrunk the size down just a little more so that it would fit properly into the size of paper that my printer will happily print. :)

kelleighr
10-27-2008, 12:30 AM
I have attempted to scan boxes in the past, but the lines are just so messy that I just make the templates from scratch . . . which is a lot of work (killer!!). My templates are all sized so that you can print them out on a standard sized printer. ALL of my "hybrid" templates are sized for 8.5 x 11 paper, because I have a standard printer. Maybe one day I'll get the big momma . . . but that request is standing in line behind and new operating system for my gorgeous Mac, an external hard drive and a new Mac laptop. So, basically, it is LOW on my priority list.

All that to say, you need to figure out the "Borderless Printing" option on your printer, or you will FOREVER be frustrated with the size of the templates you buy. Some people "resize" their items to 98% before printing. I discovered that my printer has a borderless expansion slider for "less" and "more" on the Borderless Printing menu (which I can get to by hitting print). (I have an HP.)

When I was testing all of this, it was suggested that I use an overlay. So, open an 8.5x11 page, pop your overlay onto it and size to fit (so, yeah, stretch it). Then print on regular old paper in B&W (or grayscale to save ink). Keep working with it until you figure out what your "Borderless Printing" settings should be.

Make sense?

Im not sure I said it right in the subject line. But my question is mostly directed at kelleigh but anyone can answer for me if they can.

The reason why im asking kelleigh is because I see all the lovely templates in her store. But Im too scared to buy them incase the sizes are different.

Anyway, I have purchased lots of boxes etc... pillow boxes, chinese takeaway box etc etc... and I only have a standard scanner. IE: A4 paper size... i think thats 290mm x 210mm (thinking off the top of my head there).... so not all of the boxes (unassembled) fit on my scanner in one scan. So i was wondering how do you scan them? do you scan one side first then the other? and join them up together in photoshop?

Id love to know

Thanks in advance (TIA)

Hugs
Melissa

sinead
10-27-2008, 01:26 AM
I discovered that my printer has a borderless expansion slider for "less" and "more" on the Borderless Printing menu (which I can get to by hitting print). (I have an HP.)

hmmm...now that's an interesting idea! I'll have to look and see if my HP does the same thing! I use borderless, but I haven't looked to see if there's a "less"/"more" option.

annscraps
10-27-2008, 07:53 AM
I couldn't find my borderless option even though it says I should have one :(

If I was going to scan in something larger than my scanner bed I would scan twice and then use photoshop to line it all up. There is a tutorial out there that I used for doing this seamlessly and automatically in photoshop. I did this with my paper layouts WAY back and it worked so darn good.

However - now that we have Kelleigh I wouldn't bother. Her hybrid templates are AMAZING!

Jubeefish
10-28-2008, 07:38 AM
I put some tips and project ideas up on my blog to show how to use hybrid box templates. Ihope this will help someone. If you can think of a tip I should add let me know!
Fresh Fish (http://julifreshfish.blogspot.com/)

kelleighr
10-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Those are great tips, Juli, and I love your samples!

I do also include directions with pictures in most of the downloads, so that should help, too!

Phoenix
11-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Sorry for not being around lately lol Ive been quite busy. Im currently trying to finish off the crafts Ive started on. Now that Ive bought some more ink for the printer.

As for scanning. I think I will try the scan twice and match in photoshop option if that dont work I will use your templates kelleigh.

Thanks everyone

Hugs
Melissa

kelleighr
11-06-2008, 09:38 AM
:giggle: Well, thanks!

TeresaP
11-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Sorry for not being around lately lol Ive been quite busy. Im currently trying to finish off the crafts Ive started on. Now that Ive bought some more ink for the printer.

As for scanning. I think I will try the scan twice and match in photoshop option if that dont work I will use your templates kelleigh.

Thanks everyone

Hugs
Melissa

It is automate photomerge to put together two photos that have matching parts of the pic in each :)

I am all for templates after seeing all these fantastic ones in the shop :)

I have a neat gift card box that pulls up to a triangle on the sides and it is sooo cute! I gave the giftcards in something else so I could keep this box and do something more with em...I need to send you a pic Kelleigh and see if you can template these cuties! :)

kelleighr
11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
I have a neat gift card box that pulls up to a triangle on the sides and it is sooo cute! I gave the giftcards in something else so I could keep this box and do something more with em...I need to send you a pic Kelleigh and see if you can template these cuties! :)

Ooh, yes! Do send!!