PDA

View Full Version : Anyone print digi elements?

UnDecided
10-25-2005, 12:33 AM
I have been wanting to try printing digi papers for use in paper scrapping and I guess I just don't know where to start. What's the best kind of paper to print onto? Has anyone had success with printing, and if so, what kind of printer do you use? ink? Any other tips would be much appreciated!!

suzy
10-25-2005, 01:22 AM
I havent printed any papers for paper scrapping (although I would love to if I had time to paper scrap - LOL!!!!), but I would imagine that all you would need would be acid free archival paper and acid free ink. I know acid free ink is very expensive here in Australia, but, like everything else, it is probably significantly cheaper in the USA. You should find archival paper at your local office super store. If you dont have a 12x12 printer you could print them at letter size - I usually crop my paper smaller than that anyway. I dont know what you could do if you wanted to print at 12x12 though.

holly
10-25-2005, 08:38 AM
back when i started, a friend of mine printed some papers of mine and paper scrapped....they looked AWESOME!

Valgal
10-25-2005, 08:46 AM
I do this ALL the time because I still (shh!) love to paper scrap ;)

I have an HP photo printer and print out my papers on good, white cardstock. It looks AWESOME. I don't worry about acid free ink though... the ink I have to buy for my printer is expensive enough.

There is an article in the current issue of Simple Scrapbooks that is all about using digital techniques on paper layouts, and printing out elements was covered. I believe there was a paper layout featured using a Shabby Princess kit.

MizAmyLou
10-25-2005, 09:22 AM
yeah I think you guys are on the right track. When (WHEN??????? LOL) I paper scrap, I usually use a solid background , usually bazzill and my PP is accent pieces anyway, so I have printed 8 1/2 x 11 and used it to make borders, matte photos, punch squares or other shapes, etc and it's looked great. I have a whole scraproom that I really need to go in there and DO something with, lol...

DragonFly
10-25-2005, 10:11 AM
I have printed them on Bazzill and reg. printer paper....LOVE printing digi elements/papers for my paper scrappin...=)

UnDecided
10-25-2005, 01:19 PM
Wow, thanks everyone -- can't wait to play now!!

DragonFly
10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Can't wait to see what you create Christie!

esjess
10-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I print quite a bit , just for testing purposes especially (b/c I hardly ever paper scrap anymore), but I have a good stash of my own stuff started.

I have a cheap-o HP1210, and when it has fresh ink it does a fabulous job on photo paper and this other *cheaper* photo paper that I found a couple months back. It's the "Imaging & Photo Paper" by JetPrint. I like the feel of the it and it's just the right weight for paper scrapping with, but I probably wouldn't want to print a slew of digi layouts with the stuff. kwim?

I've tried printing on regular cardstock, but I never have great results. It must be my printer b/c other people have no problems with just plain white CS, and one friend of mine says she was blown away by printing some stuff on Bazzill Textured cardstock. It's next on my list of papers to try...for special stuff. ;o)

UnDecided
10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
I've been wondering how it would look on textured CS too... gotta give that one a try!

UnDecided
10-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Okay, another question: Does the ink ever run or smudge when it gets wet or when you use wet adhesive?

esjess
10-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Christie, I have used Mod Podge for PAPER and had no problems at all.
I'm a Mod Podge addict and was so happy to find something that didn't make my ink run! :oD

crypto
12-02-2005, 11:09 AM
My printer doesn't have the capacity to print 12x12 paper. Is there some place on-line I could up load my designs to and have them printed to paper?

UnDecided
12-02-2005, 09:10 PM
You could always just print them at 8 1/2 x 11, or I'm sure you could take them to like a Kinkos or something and have them printed wide format.

ScrapWithNikki
12-03-2005, 04:02 PM
I print alot of the papers using my HP deskjet 5550 with regular inkjet color and photo black inks. The ink doesn't smudge at all using the photo instead of regular black. Also I print on regular cardstock or (my fave) Everyday Photo Paper by either Kodak or JetPrint. I just recently printed some of Holly's papers out on this and they look awesome!

sand_gal
12-06-2005, 10:18 PM
I have printed some papers when I first started digital scrapping last January. I was really happy with the result, most likely no cheaper. I have an Epson printer and I used bubble-jet paper. Colours didn't run and they had strong, beautiful clear colour.

AngelinaS
02-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I use an Epson printer and good old white cardstock. But, I've also used transparencies which came out really cool (kinda "slick" looking). I've never had any problems with my ink running. They came out looking fabulous! When I printed on transparency, I adjusted my print "properties". The ink I use is supposed to be archival.

If you have a basic black and white paper (or any color and white), it's also really cool to print on colored cardstock--because white just doesn't print anything, if you kwim?. So you could do a layout with say, black&pink, black&green, etc. with all your patterns perfectly co-ordinated. I definitely don't think it's "cheaper" to print your own pp's, but it's definitely fun and let's you exercise your creativity a little more.