PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Tools

annscraps
12-17-2008, 11:56 PM
What sort of tools do you just love for your hybrid crafting?

I have a xyron which I'm to cheap to use :laught16: And more recently I purchased the Big Bite Cropodile. What else do I need/want?

A while back I was drooling over the WishBlade (http://www.xyron.com/enUS/Categories/Xyron_Wishblade.html) - does anybody have this?

What about a coil binder? Any recommendations?

YvetteSanders
12-18-2008, 12:11 AM
I love the zutter bind it all - great tool, really easy to use, I use my quilting ruler and paper scorer (bone folder) more than anything else though!

kelleighr
12-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Did you guys see my article in the DST Insider? It has all of the basics for the hybrid newbies.

After that, I would say definitely the Cropodile and then a ton of fun ribbon, flowers, buttons, bling, etc. Oh, and coasters from Red Robin. Hee, hee!

Oh, but you CAN'T live without a great printer and paper. You just can't.

nicoleseitler
12-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Cutterbee Scissors!!!: http://www.craftcritique.com/2008/05/cutter-bee-scissors.html

YvetteSanders
12-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Cutterbee Scissors!!!: http://www.craftcritique.com/2008/05/cutter-bee-scissors.html

ohhh - I forgot about these - I have them too!

Charla
12-18-2008, 03:11 PM
I got myself a pair of Cutterbee scissors after reading your post about them, Nicole. They really are awesome...though you do still have to be able to cut. :giggle: I'm the world's worst cutter I think!!! :rofl:

Dani Alencar
12-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I can't live without my crop-a-dile and stamp inks... I just ink all the edges of everything I do! LOL

jjstar
12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
I love my bind-it-all. There are so many ideas of how to use it. They do have a new one out (pink instead of the old blue one). I'm not convenience that it does too much more to justify the increase in price. If you decide to get one, check out the first version too.

Have fun!

nicoleseitler
12-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I can't live without my crop-a-dile and stamp inks... I just ink all the edges of everything I do! LOL

Ooo! Ink! Yes! I love to distress the edges of things with ink, too! And sometimes I'll use my fingernail to rough up the edges of my paper. :good:

Charla, EK Success should start paying me commission! LOL! :laught16:

annscraps
12-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm going to Michael's tomorrow and I'm treating myself to some cutterbee scissors. I watched the video on the Zutter - it looks pretty neat to. I'll have to see what they have there for binders. I've actually got a use for one with a project I'm working on. I think that's a good enough excuse to pick one up - right?

YvetteSanders
12-18-2008, 06:39 PM
LOVE the bind-it-all - I use it for my calendars every year. I should use it more (if I only had more time to play lol)

Dani Alencar
12-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Ooo! Ink! Yes! I love to distress the edges of things with ink, too! And sometimes I'll use my fingernail to rough up the edges of my paper. :good:

I love to use fingernails too!

Hey girls... is it worthy to have a bind it all? I'm not sure what tool is that but I guess this is for binding right? It's so cheap to bind here at my city. LOL

annscraps
12-24-2008, 01:19 AM
I got the cutterbee scissors - LOVE those little things! I wonder if they have a larger size as well - so darn sharp. My mother in law is giving my DH some cash to get me the bind it all. I took the liberty of ordering it online - LOL I'll let you know how it works. I'm so dang excited :P

nicoleseitler
12-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Hmm. I don't think that they make bigger scissors. But I'm thrilled to hear that you love them! Aren't they WONDERFUL?! Love that sharp tip. It's awesome for tight corners. :)

ccouch
12-27-2008, 10:16 PM
oooh, Santa put a pair of the CutterBee HoneyBee scissors in my stocking! Can't wait to play w/ those :) Thanks for the recommendations, ladies!

Charla
12-27-2008, 10:52 PM
I got a Crop-A-Dile (is this the same one everyone was talking about?
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/fabricsunlimited_2029_5089003 I had it in my head it would be smaller than this).
But it's amazing!! Now I can't wait to make another hybrid book or something, anything, that needs holes punched in it :giggle: (I'm waiting for you, Kelleigh :rofl:)

ccouch
12-27-2008, 11:20 PM
My crop-a-dile is alot smaller - - is this the Big Bite, maybe? It looks like it could punch a hole through anything - - oh, the possibilities!!

kelleighr
12-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah! This is the Big Bite! Wahoo! I just have the little, tiny Crop-o-dile. You are so lucky!!

I also got a REAL (well, probably not real, since I'm sure it is plastic) bone filer AND a pair of Cutterbees for Christmas!! My micro-tip scissors had been used and abused, so I am so excited to have new ones!!

jjstar
12-28-2008, 02:11 AM
Charla...you are going to love the big bite. The one thing I had to get used to when I switched from the little one to this one was that I couldn't hold it to punch. I've found that just leaving it on my desk and putting the paper, project, etc into the slot works better. The ruler guide is so helpful too when you're creating a project with centered holes. LOVE IT!

It seriously can punch through anything. I love to put holes in acrylic, it goes through like butter!

MariKoegelenberg
12-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Oh man jealous little me....lol!!! I am sitting here wishing DH will have a clue about the tools I need...he he. But at this moment I need organisational TOOLS most! ROFL! I have one table in my scraproom and everything is on it but when we have guests over I have to take everything off so we can sit at the big table...you dont want to see the state of that room!!! It looks horrendous! I have my eye on those wooden cubbies at Michaels that you stack and they are on sale now...hmmmm!

annscraps
12-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm so glad to hear the big bite goes through thick items easily. I picked up some plain brown binders made of cardboard that looked like they need some ribbons put down the edge (:)) I also stocked up on all sorts of ribbons. I just can't pull of those fancy projects with all the ribbons when I only have 4 kinds of ribbon!

putri
12-28-2008, 07:52 PM
I have a bind-it-all but have not used it once.
I think it's 4 months old.
Maybe 6.
Kind of sad :\

Jubeefish
12-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I have the small Crop-a-dile and I have to say that I'm jealous Charlene!

Lucky me got a Cricut Create for Christmas. I am already fantasizing about hybrid projects with it - I'm working on a present album right now. Still figuring out how to position the paper just right to get the cut I want where I want it. I don't even want to talk about how much I've spent in cartridges - but I'm sure the projects I will make will be worth it.

With the Cricut I got a little kit that had a bone folder, some other circut tools, an exacto knife and, little cutterbee like scissors.

Savitri - you can feel free to come visit Florida and bring that Bind It All with you - I'll chare my Cricut! LOL!

jomi
12-31-2008, 04:33 AM
I can't live without my crop-a-dile and my inks. Also the paperdistresser from Tim Holtz is very cool to distress your papers. And what I also love are my Uni Posca pens. They draw on anything that doesn't suck the paint/ ink in and it looks like paint ; so cool if you use it on transparacies:)

Charla
12-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Yay! I'm glad I got a good one :good: It's been awesome so far...at this point I've only cut through the packaging from the Crop-A-Dile and a couple papers I found :rofl: but I love the ruler with the guide!! I can't wait to tackle my next hybrid project...it's going to have holes punched, whether it calls for them or not :rofl:

annscraps
12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
I've read a lot about you guys distressing papers with fingernails and other tools. Does anyone have a tutorial on what the heck you guys are talking about? Nicole? Nicole? Nicole? :rofl:

nicoleseitler
12-31-2008, 11:52 AM
LOL! I wonder if I could dig one up? It's really not too complicated though. You could try it out on a little piece of cardstock. Just run your thumbnail along the edges. It will start to fray and you can create little rips and tears by manipulating the paper that way! :D

MariKoegelenberg
12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Oh and I love this one...spit...yes yucky oohie spit! Lightly wet the edges of your paper with the above or use a bit of water if you are more sanitary minded (and not a yucky like me!) and roll the edges with your fingers, make tears etc and even like Nicole said use your finger nails and you get wonderful tears and folds.

cre8tvlyyrs
01-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I have at least a hundred or more acrylic paint colors cause that's the main thing I love to use...and ink pads too! Oh...also love using embossing powders and the heat gun...mod podge...of course!

I still don't have the fancy gadgets...only the regular eyelette hole maker and setters. I do use my sewing machine sometimes though...lol!

As for distressing...I'm a bit old fashioned and really don't have extra cash to spend on extra tools and gadgets so I do this:
I crumple up the paper and roll it in inks or paints and I also tear (definately gotta use the nails) and ink the edges...which is why I don't even bother to get manicures...awww...some day?:nail: I don't think so!