PDA

View Full Version : installing fonts on my Mac

Sierra
10-29-2005, 07:29 PM
I just purchased some fonts from scrapnfonts. I downloaded them and then unstuffed them with unstuffit. Now on the site it says to drag them into the system/fonts folder. When I try to drag them I go to system/library/fonts and it won't let me drag them. It says that the folder cannot be modified. I can't find another place to put them. If there

The fonts are on my desktop right now. One of them has an icon that has a F on it. The others have an A. With the one with the F I was able to double click on it and it opens in preview. Then I am able to click the button that says install and it was installed to font book. The others with the A do not allow me open them. It says "There is no default application spceified to open the document "LB Mischief".

Does anyone have any suggestions. I have an iMac G5 with Tiger. Any guesses? Thanks

lunafaerie
10-29-2005, 09:33 PM
It might be that the fonts with the "A" on the icon aren't MAC OSX compatible.
You should just be able to double click them and font book will install, like they did with the "F" icon. Try opening your font book and adding them from within the program.

You can't add files (fonts) to your system folder in OSX like you could in OS 9 and under, that's why the instructions make it seem to me like they are not compatible with your system. HTH.

Sierra
10-30-2005, 03:50 PM
I went back to the site to make sure I downloaded the Mac ones not the Windows ones and for sure they are the mac ones. I rechecked them in Font Book and they still didn't work.
If there are no other suggestions I guess I will have to contact the company.
Thanks

chibikko
11-02-2005, 03:05 AM
...It says that the folder cannot be modified. I can't find another place to put them. If there

Does anyone have any suggestions. I have an iMac G5 with Tiger. Any guesses? Thanks

Are you working on the Admin account? If you are working on the User account on your Mac, you won't be able to modify the folder as it needs an authentication. Once you are on the Admin account, or once you authenticate with the password, it will let you modify the folder.

That's usually what I do everytime I add new fonts, I have to authenticate it first, as I always working on the User account (dh won't let me work on the Admin account, it's for security reason).

I hope this helps.

:ays:

Sierra
11-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks for your help. I contacted scrapnfonts and I guess I was missing a step. I opened the system/library/fonts and then I was able to drag them in. I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time but if worked just fine this time.

Thanks everyone!