PDA

View Full Version : Stampers...Ink Suggestions?

MariKoegelenberg
03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Ok while I was doing my Welcome Baby Cards I realised something...not all inks are created equally. I have these really cute Baby stamps but they dont look so good with certain inks. My Favorite is the Colorbox Chalky inks I use to ink my edges but I only have them in browns. Any suggestions? (oh and the stamps are acrylic stamps!)

nicoleseitler
03-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I like those little Colorbox ones, especially the little petal shaped kind. They are handy for distressing! I haven't stamped much with acrylic, but I could see chalk-y inks working better (sticking more consistently to the image). My favorite ink is Stampin' Up!'s ink, mainly because I love the color coordinated system (and I used to be a Demonstrator for SU!--LOL!). But I'm not sure how they work with acrylics.

dawn_inskip
03-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Are you stamping onto regular cardstock Mari? I know that some of my acrylic stamps are a PITA to ink - whatever ink I use. I love the Colorbox ones, but my absolute faves are the dye-based inkpads, they give a richer colour and more Dawn-user-friendly LOL

MariKoegelenberg
03-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Sorry! lol! Yes I was stamping onto plain cardstock...some made a blotchy stamp and the chalk inks came out the most consistent (also I might add...I dont know much about stamping, I just apply ink and stamp. Dont know if there is a 'special' way!)

Vervegirl
03-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I use mainly Stampin' Up! dye inks when I stamp with colored ink, because of the matchy-matchy colors! Paler colors seem to have a little harder time with clear stamps, but if you ink your stamp with clear VersaMark ink first, then ink it with the dye ink you get way better and smoother ink coverage. I do this a lot when I notice a stamp has a hard time accepting ink or the ink is pooling on the stamp, creating splotchy images.

Palette Hybrid inks were created specifically for use with clear stamps and are a great alternative to messy chalk inks. They have great color coverage and they're quick drying, which makes me happy, since I'm always smearing chalk inks! LOL

If I use a chalk ink, I normally reach for VersaMagic Chalk Dew Drops, because they seem to stain the stamps less than the Colorbox ones, and I'm finicky about keeping my stamps clean. :)

Vervegirl
03-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Oh, and if your stamps are new, you might want to condition them before use. Clear stamps sometimes have a little residue left on them from the manufacturing process that repels ink. If you rub the surfaces of the stamp gently with a soft eraser or clean them with a stamp cleaner and scrub pad before their first use, they'll probably hold ink a little better. The more you use them, the better they stamp - just like grandma's seasoned fried chicken skillet!:giggle:

MariKoegelenberg
03-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Oooh Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will try that too! I have the versamark and will try that!!!

dawn_inskip
03-24-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm with you Mari - just kind of use what works.

Thanks for all these great suggestions ladies :)

nicoleseitler
03-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I forgot the VersaMark trick! That's a good one. :D

Mari, I made a lens on rubber stamping, using a lot of the material from my old blog (which I deleted). Anyway, I've got my favorite inking tip on there about twisting: http://www.squidoo.com/stampsinkandpaper

Don't know if that would work as well with acrylic... but maybe?

skyezak
03-25-2009, 12:13 AM
I always twist my stamps when I'm inking them to get a more even coverage, particularly in the centre of a stamp where it doesn't tend to ink up as much. And I have found most of my acrylic stamps to not take ink as well as a rubber stamp. I love SU's dye based inks as they are fast drying but I do love a chalk ink but they take a while to dry and sometimes still smudge weeks later but the look they give is much nicer. So I usually play around until I find one that's not too goopy to use with my acrylic stamps - I've got so many inks and brands, I always find one good one somewhere!

kelleighr
03-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Most acrylic stamp sets come with a little foam mat. This is SUPER important!! Place it under your paper when stamping, and you will have a cleaner image. It works sort of like the gray foam layer in wood mounted rubber stamps.

However, I really think your problem might be with conditioning your stamp. Just ink it up and stamp it over and over and over until the image is crisp!

ALL of my stamps are acrylic. They just make sense all around! Easier to store, easier to fix if you make a boo-boo, easier to place on your project.

And, by the way, since you asked, Stampin' Up ink is absolutely fine with your stamps. Of course, I prefer Close To My Heart, 'cause I'm a demonstrator! (But, really, they are the same types of ink!)