PDA

View Full Version : Laminating at home?

HeatherB
03-31-2009, 12:42 PM
I am starting to do some hybrid projects to help with some school work (numbers, letters, simple spelling), and I realize that whatever I end up printing out on my printer as cards is just going to get greasy fingerprints and worse!

Laminating at the local business supplies store is very expensive (I think it is $1 per item, for small items), so I am considering investing in a home lamination system.

I'm thinking that having a laminator that could do up to at least 8.5x11 would be pretty cool, but I have no idea if that would be affordable.

Does anyone have this at home? What do you use? What do you like about it, what do you hate, what do you wish it would also do?

Charla
03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Xyron has (or had) one of their larger systems that did laminating. I'd think it might be a good investment (especially if you wanted to make stickers with it too :giggle:) for something like this. I loved working with the Xyrons when I worked at JoAnn's :good:

msbrad
03-31-2009, 01:25 PM
Xyron has (or had) one of their larger systems that did laminating. I'd think it might be a good investment (especially if you wanted to make stickers with it too :giggle:) for something like this. I loved working with the Xyrons when I worked at JoAnn's :good:

I like the Xyron machines too. I have several different sizes, so I don't waste the laminate.
They also have a sticker cartridge (love it) that one can adhere ribbon to 'something'.
m

cherpea
03-31-2009, 03:24 PM
well I realise not everyone is strange like me and have a laminator and comb binder at home... okay so they are only little domestic jobs not full on commercial ones but seriously I wouldn't be without them now!

I got the laminator cheap (like $50 NZ) and it does up to A4 which is just bigger than 8.5 x 11... the pouches you get in different sizes 100 A4 are about $40nz and A6 are under $10 for 25 a 6 x 4 needs just a slight trim on the side to fit it in... I seriously wouldn't be without it now!!!!!

Definitely worth it! I say go for it its much cheaper and in my case easier than taking it to a store to laminate everything I do...

HeatherB
03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
I think I've just been enabled... :jump:

HeatherB
03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Is it useful to have cold and hot lamination capabilities in your home machine? Or would you never want to cold laminate anything?

melwilson
03-31-2009, 06:37 PM
I am trying out the new Provo Craft laminator/binder...the Illustory (I think that's what it's called) anyway Walmart has it for about $99. It will heat bind book and laminate. I was overly thrilled with the box...until I tried it out to laminate...it's an awesome laminator! Something to consider...

cherpea
03-31-2009, 07:31 PM
In all honesty I wouldn't even bother cold laminating... not since I have a hot laminator... and no I don't think it would be a big selling point for me the ability to do both... the hot laminators were cheapest here... which has to be a consideration along iwth the cost of the pouches... the hot lamination ones are much cheaper than cold lamination pouches here in NZ.

and yeah I would say you have certainly been enabled...

nicoleseitler
03-31-2009, 11:07 PM
:: puts fingers in her ears ::

I refuse to be enabled! :nogood:

cherpea
03-31-2009, 11:26 PM
oh come on Nicole you won't regret the purchase... and think of all the activities you can create for your kids and save money doing it!

nicoleseitler
03-31-2009, 11:37 PM
:hey:

skyezak
04-01-2009, 12:42 AM
LOL!! I've got a generic laminator from one of our local department stores and it was like $50 AUD and is well worth having for laminating photos, projects, artwork, etc. Very inexpensive to buy the pouches like Cheryl said :)

Vervegirl
04-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I've got the 12 x 12" Xyron that laminates, but I've never used that feature because the sticker cartridge was such a pain to install, I know I'd never get it back in the right way if I take it out! :gaah: LOL! So I guess I'll just have to wait until the cartridge is empty to try it! I do love the big old sticker maker, though. Makes life so easy!

ShabbyShaz
04-09-2009, 04:46 AM
I have a hot laminater, purchased cheap at a garage sale (yard sale) and love it. We have used it so much for homeschool but I am also finding it fab for hybrid and others things too.

Jubeefish
04-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Another vote here for a hot laminator. I have two actually (I thought I lost one :roll: and then found it). I use mine about once a month for various things. It's worth it to watch for a sale the office supply store or Target when they clearance the school supplies/business supplies to get more pouches. Keep yourself stocked so you can use it when you want.

Just think about the possibilities! :)

cherpea
04-17-2009, 04:53 PM
so Nicole did you succumb and get yourself a laminator yet? And Heather how about you... got one yet?

nicoleseitler
04-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Hee hee! NO!

HeatherB
04-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Mine is shipping as we speak! ;)

I bought a Fellowes Mars 12.5 inch craft bundle (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10305147&search=laminator&Mo=10&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=laminator&Ntt=laminator&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1) from Costco.ca - I get the laminator plus a craft bundle (52 piece assorted plus 25 scrapbook pouches and 25 poster pouches). I really wanted something that gave me the option to laminate scrap pages in case I want to make some for the boys' rooms.

Laminators are much more expensive in Canada than in the US :blink:

HeatherB
04-18-2009, 08:27 AM
...and the reason I decided to buy...

Creating school items to help my son with math + reading! I had to make a game spinner for a math game, and it just won't last unless it is laminated! (I wonder if this means I can use it as an educational expense on taxes? :giggle:)

wildblueeyez
04-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Call me cheap but for things like flash cards or pouches/bags/etc., I get a roll of clear contact paper, cut a managable size piece and lay that out on a table. I then lay my project face down on the adhesive side of the contact paper and cut around it all.

I don't do this as much anymore since finding a ten pack Avery clear self adhesive laminating sheets at Staples for about $12. The sheets are a little thicker and sturdier than contact paper and are much easier to work with. Less chance of it managing to stick to itself like the contact paper did!!! LOL....

http://images.educational-software.com/productImage.html?s=medium&i=31114.jpg

again, my http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/wildblueeyez15068/smileyvault-2c.gif 'cause I'm thrifty/cheap like that!!! LOL

nicoleseitler
04-20-2009, 02:05 PM
I opened a new pack of Scotch tape today and inside was a coupon for $2 off a Scotch laminator! I just had to laugh. :teehee:

cherpea
04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
see Nicole its the universe just trying to tell you that you really need a laminator!!!! hee hee