PDA

View Full Version : Do you mod podge before cutting and assembling or after

Donnatopia
08-11-2009, 03:37 PM
I mentioned in a recent hybrid project posting that I had mod podge before cutting and assembling and someone asked if I found that easier... So I decided to pose the question here. What do you do? When I work on a flat surface (like a composition book or a clipboard) I Mod Podge after I adhere my paper to my project. But when I work on curved surfaces (Like paint cans, jars, bottles, etc) I Mod Podge my paper before I cut out and adhere. I find it much easier to get a smooth finish and avoid drips, nicks, fingerprint marks, etc.

I am curious what others do....

kelleighr
08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
I've found that I have to mod podge a piece of paper TO a piece of chipboard (or other item), smooth out bubbles and let it dry, then mod podge on top of the piece of paper to seal it. If I just mod podge after, I get bubbles and the project is ruined. If I mod podge before and not after, then it stays nicely, but my child will inevitably sneeze on the project and ruin it.

Hope that helps! I'd love to hear what others say!

kelleighr
08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
oh, wait. That's not what you asked.

I mod podge after I've cut out the pieces because I'm not forward-thinking enough.

wildblueeyez
08-12-2009, 12:13 AM
hehehe...that was me that asked the before or after question LOL.... I guess I just never thought to mod podge before and now I am trying to figure out what I can make that I can give this a try!! :giggle:

karistamps
08-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I mod podge after ... it's messy enough without having to get my scissors involved :wink:

AquaRuby
08-12-2009, 06:29 PM
I know one of the most recent posts by Nicole on THC blog Nicole said she Mod Podges before. I haven't had to do any projects lately where I need to Mod Podge, so this is a great question.

nicoleseitler
08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Yup! I do it before. Not sure how I picked that up? Hmm.

Actually--for that project I started to cut out the cards, saw the waterspot and then went back and painted the cut-out cards and the not-cut-out envelopes... so I did BOTH! :D Because I'm all "forward thinking" like Kelleigh. ;)

ShabbyShaz
08-13-2009, 04:53 AM
Well you have all got me into the modge podge finally.

I really used it for the first time this week on this project.

http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/data/500/ELash-GB-Notebook.jpg (http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20487)

I cut out the pieces and used the modge podge to glue to piece to the chipboard then also used it for the little alpha pieces and the bugs. It made them nice and stiff and gave the colour a nice sheen.

Mind you I had to weight the cover down - it wanted to keep curling up while it dried.

leightheo
08-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Okay, now I'm like LuAnn...I'm trying to think of a project I can do and Mod Podge before. I've always Mod Podged afterwards and I want to try it this new way. I'm loving the Back to School notebook...I may try that! Yours is soooooooo cute!

Thanks for the new ideas, ladies!:good:

Donnatopia
08-13-2009, 04:32 PM
The main reason why I mod podge before I cut out is because I am super fussy (anal, actually...LOL) about brush strokes. I can start my brush stroke just beyond my printed element and that gloppy starting point gets trimmed off. Also, I find smaller elements hard to hold and get an even coat after they have been cut out (Not to mention the mess... I usually get more on my fingers than the project itself). My paper (I ususally use a mat photo paper) will curl some after I mod podge it, but it flattens back out when it's dry. It ends up feeling similar to wallpaper and is easy to cut.

leightheo
08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Oooooooo, good point. I never thought about that before! I hate that gloppy mess at the beginning of the brush stroke. I use foam brushes to try to get away from it, but it still happens!

awoo
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
I haven't dabbled with Modge Podge yet but I just bought some and have been thinking of a project to use it on..That album looks fantastic!!

ShabbyShaz
08-19-2009, 12:08 AM
I am working on something today - printed it last night and left it like that overnight to dry .

Going to try and modge podge the whole thing in one hit then cut it out later after it has dried.

Will be back later with the results. :)

ShabbyShaz
08-19-2009, 04:45 AM
Going ok - sticky at the moment.

SylviaB
08-19-2009, 06:36 AM
may I please ask one of you professional modge podge chickies :smile: something?
I'm not sure I got everything right.. so... here is WHAT I got:
-you print out anything
-you put modge podge at the back side of the whole thing
-you let it dry completely(??? if that's wrong: what about your scissors? aren't they ruined after cutting through the 'liquid glue'?)
-you cut it
-you glue it down (how do you do that IF the modge podge is still dry?)
-you put another layer of modge podge on top of everything just to 'seal' it

If something in my list above is wrong, could someone please be so kind and tell me step by step how it works? Thanks in advance (as I said some time before I never use any kind of 'liquid glue', so I never used Modge Podge before, even though I have it here at home *lol*)

Maybe this thread gets me started to use it.... *mmmmmm*

ShabbyShaz
08-19-2009, 08:17 AM
You know Syliva, they are all good questions and I can't wait to see the answers. I have never used it like glue - in fact am just starting to use it.

My sum total experience with modge podge is as a finish like laquer or varnish spray. I tend to use normal white wood glue watered down a little and a brush for any glue projects.

Is it a glue or a varnish or both.

SylviaB
08-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Ahhh... ok....it's kind of a varnish... I always thought (but I absolutely have NO experiences with it!!!) you use it similar to glue..... :ahhh:
Thanks for clearing this for me, Sharyn! :smooch:
Now all the things I read (put modge podge onto the whole thing, let dry, then cut out) makes sense to me! :smile: Sorry.. I'm really a bit slow at getting this ... :slow:

Ok... and if you cover your bits and pieces with modge podge it also gives kind of more stiffness, right? How cool... :good:

Seems to be very interesting stuff ... I'm coming closer to the point trying it out myself :giggle: (but well.. I have this modge podge jar for ages now.. I would not be surprised if it would be totally dried out when I open it up :lol::lol::lol:)

ShabbyShaz
08-19-2009, 12:37 PM
I know - I have had mine for 12 months.

The first time I tried, it was all sticky and and tacky and just did not work nice. SO it has sat on the shelf. :nah:

CristinaC
08-19-2009, 01:20 PM
This is an interesting thread!
Let me say that I found out about Mod Podge in this very forum a few months ago when I started dabbling into hybrid and needed to find a good glue, and I'm no expert. But it is the only thing I use to glue and seal, and I've used it quite a bit now.

Sylvia, here's how I use Mod Podge as a glue:
1) print out your stuff, cut it
2) use Mod Podge: brush it on the back (use small quantity!) with a foam brush and adhere immediately. If you only coat the thing you're gluing, you must be quick because you cannot reposition. I've heard that if you brush with MP both the thing you're gluing and the thing you're gluing it to, you can reposition more. I usually don't bother and I'm just careful to put it right in the first place :smile: Plus, if you use too much MP, it really becomes a mess.).

MP is both a glue and a sealer. You can use it as a sealer before or after you glue. When you seal, MP must dry completely before you do anything else. When you glue, you must stick the thing immediately and them let dry completely before you do anything else. Mod Podge sure is messy, but since I've never tried anything else it works fine for me! :smile:

Now, to go back to the original question about using MP as a sealer, before or after gluing. It depends. ModPodge does make your paper curl so that will bother you in any case.
Basically, I do what Donnatopia does.
I use it most of the times before, and sometimes after: for small pieces, I do it before (because othe brush strokes bother me too, and also because it would be hard just to brush the little piece and not what's behind it); for big pieces, after works too but it always scares me to see how it curls up so I mostly do it first. :blush:
Even when I Mod Podge before gluing, I've never tried doing it before cutting. Maybe that would help not getting the stuff all over my fingers: must try! :giggle:

ShabbyShaz
08-19-2009, 04:02 PM
I have heard that letting it "touch dry" and then layering between pieces of waxed paper and putting under some weight for a couple of days should help flatten it out.

But who has that long to wait? :giggle:

skyezak
08-22-2009, 08:30 AM
I've only ever used Mod Podge to coat my off the page projects with, never for single elements or small pieces of paper, etc. I decorate lots of tins and if you want to paint up a tin, you need to rough the tin up a bit with sandpaper then you can coat with MP before you paint, but it's not necessary, to help the paint stick better. Sometimes I've just painted onto the roughed up tin then MP'd over it to make sure the paint doesn't scratch off and this works okay. If I've stuck paper onto the tin, I've used, double-sided tape then MP'd over the whole thing, again to seal it and make sure it doesn't get dusty. There seems to be so many ways you can use this product - as a glue and as a sealer.

If I were MPing elements like a flower, I'd leave it on the printed out sheet, MP over the element, leave it to totally dry and cut it out - wouldn't that stop it from curling so much? I kind of like the idea of a flower (as an example) curling up slightly for effect.

In Australia, I've also used decoupage glue that is exactly the same thing as MP - use as a glue and/or to seal your projects. The brand I have is from Spotlight and is called Royal Coat. They also make Dimensional Magic which is like Papier Glass, Crystal Effects - these are also good for coating little elements to give them some shine and make them like epoxy elements :)

ShabbyShaz
08-22-2009, 01:36 PM
I have been sticky fingered for two days and am now loving modge podge.

Have made two projects - can't show you just yet as they are for The Hybrid Chick, but it has worked very well for what I needed.

I am definitely now in the "paint it on everything before you cut it out" camp.

It even gave one of my papers the feel of vinyl and made it mold very nicely on one of my pieces.

So I say - play with it

Donnatopia
08-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Yay.... so glad the Mod Podge worked well for you Sharyn. I am anxious for your Hybrid Chick blog posting so we can see what you made. :loveshower:

One last pointer I'd like to add.... When I paint my paper before I cut and adhere it, I don't have a problem with paper curling or the drying time like others have mentioned (and I live in South Florida where it is extremely humid). I think it has to do with how thick the Mod Podge is applied. I use a 1 inch wide sable hair or soft nylon paint brush which allows for a much thinner coat than a foam brush. I paint from top to bottom until my project is totally covered... I let it dry (about 15 minutes) and then I coat it again, painting from left to right. The second coat takes about 20-30 minutes to dry to the point where you can cut/work with it. After I've assembled my project, I let it set out over night before I gift wrap it because even though the Mod Podge feels dry to the touch, it will stick to tissue paper, etc. if enough pressure is applied. Waiting overnight eliminates this problem.

Oh, and about the curling... within 1-5 minutes after I paint the Mod Podge on, it does sometime curl... but as it drys the curl goes away on it's own. The first time this happened, I thought my project was ruined and was quite surprised when the pages started to flatten out on their own. (I use a matt photo paper... not sure if a thinner paper would flatten out or not)

ShabbyShaz
08-23-2009, 12:55 PM
That's exactly what I did, and discovered. Check out The Hybrid Chick tomorrow! :)

skyezak
08-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Just found a couple of articles on The Craft Critique blog about Mod Podge and similar products so thought you might want to go check them out:

HERE (http://www.craftcritique.com/2009/07/martha-stewart-crafts-decoupage-glue.html) and HERE (http://www.craftcritique.com/2009/07/classic-modpodge.html)

ShabbyShaz
08-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Ok - one of my projects is up at the Hybrid Chick now.

Here. (http://www.thehybridchick.com/2009/08/index-card-notebook/)