PDA

View Full Version : So who actually prints out their pages?

MariKoegelenberg
09-02-2009, 08:37 PM
I am busy printing out some pages (yay I actually did some pages! lol! Thanks Kelleigh!) and was wondering who prints out their pages...I got me a pretty 8x8 album and actually starting to fill it up.

alien21xx
09-02-2009, 08:41 PM
I do. I normally print out to a 6x6 board book or the Basic Grey bracket album so I can further customize.

nicoleseitler
09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
That's cool!

I printed a Shutterfly album before. I'd actually like to do it over again, though... because I was soooo new to digi when I made it. :blush:

Charla
09-02-2009, 09:38 PM
I get mine printed through blurb.com :good: They're great and the books come out beautifully.
They just added a 12x12 book but it's way more expensive than the 7x7 I usually get.

jacinda
09-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I print mine as a photobook. That's the cheapest option here. Otherwise it's $5 per 8x8 page (one sided). There isn't even a 12x12 printing option available. I send out to Australia to print the photobooks. New Zealand is yet to catch up with that market.

YvetteSanders
09-02-2009, 11:49 PM
I print at home on 13x19 paper - one 12x12 and two 6x6 per sheet. The 12x12 is for my album and the 6x6's are for albums for my parents & MIL each Christmas. It's not cheaper to print at home, but I'm very much an "I want it now" type of person LOL!

Kathy Moore
09-03-2009, 12:12 AM
I've printed a couple of 8 x 8 albums full (though that is nowhere near all my layouts) and also did one 8 x 8 shutterfly book of just assorted layouts as well as one quick album in a shutterfly 8 x 8 book. I used to love to print them out and hang them up for a few days to enjoy them before they went in the album, but I have scrapped so little lately that I haven't done that. I am trying to work on scrapping more with all these lovely goodies so maybe I'll do better!

kelleighr
09-03-2009, 12:12 AM
I've printed a couple of layouts, but I NEED to print more! I've done one 8x8 Shutterfly album that turned out being okay, but not great. Even after following all of the directions I could find, I still couldn't get it to NOT cut the edges of my layouts off. So I just print at home, now. I like to print one 8x8 and two 3x3s on a single 8.5x11 sheet. Mini albums!

ccouch
09-03-2009, 12:21 AM
I print out all my LOs. as part of my "save process," I create an 8x8 print file before I resize to web. that goes into a "print folder" that I clear out every so often after I've printed.

as far as options go, i've done both - - printing albums (blurb & shutterfly) and printing pages and putting into albums. as pretty as the printed, bound books are, I far prefer having my printed pages in page protectors.

i want my girls to look at our family scrapbooks and me not worry so much about them damaging a page. those bound books can get kinda pricey. now it's not cheap to get the printed pages w/ protectors, but....i like knowing that if a single page were damaged, i could replace that one for a small price. not an option with a bound book. if it's damaged, it's damaged.

and people always seem to want to touch a printed digital page. i like knowing that i can wipe their little fingerprints off! LOL!

judet
09-03-2009, 05:12 AM
Haven't done yet but I'm preparing to. I'm doing the older stories (pre-children and pre good camera!) as 8 x 8 and the newer ones 12 x 12 (more photos I need to get on the pages!)

I'm in the process of checking I haven't made any boo-boos. Thinking of getting my mother in law to proof read them before I print too many as I've spent too much time looking at them to notice what's wrong ifkwim. One thing I'm finding is that I've not been particularly consistent about how big my font it (the result of a bit of resizing I think) so I need to sort that out so it's all legible and doesn't look stupid!

I'm doing albums rather than photobooks for the same reasons as Christine. It's not too expensive to get 12 x 12 prints here, either.

jomi
09-03-2009, 07:39 AM
I haven't printed out that much pages yet, because I can't make a decision on what way to go LOL

I tossed and turned between 8,5x11" and 12x12" layouts, so I need to make seperate albums for these sizes. In a normal album I can combine the different sizes if I print at 8x8"

The only thing I am worried about printing at home is the durability of the page; how long it will stay ' good' kwim?
But on the other hands I heard so many different opinions about photobooks quality; I would not like to pay for an album that once I get it I see edges cut of or colors being off.....

Kathy Moore
09-03-2009, 09:01 AM
So I just print at home, now. I like to print one 8x8 and two 3x3s on a single 8.5x11 sheet. Mini albums!

Ooh, great idea! I'll have to remember that!

missrubikscube
09-03-2009, 09:10 AM
i print all my pages :) i print 12x12 and 8x8 (one copy for me and one copy for the girls) and put into albums w/ photo protectors - both for the reasons christine stated - and b/c i don't scrap chronologically, but i like my albums to be in order - LOL

SunshineTK
09-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Um, I print them (actually I usually have them printed at Scrapping Simply, even though I have a wide format printer). But don't ask me if I actually put them in albums!!! :whistle:

I have several CTMH albums all filled with protectors just waiting....

MariKoegelenberg
09-03-2009, 01:05 PM
It is amazing the response! Wow!

I have so many coupons and stuff to print at Artscow and Shutterfly but to be honest each time I attempt to do a book it just gets way too much work for me! lol! Plus the fact that it is expensive and it does not always print out as you want it.

Regarding the durability of your prints...I had a wide format Canon Printer back home so I did a bunch of my layouts in 12x12 format...and you have to make sure you choose the correct INK and PAPER...they guaranteed the prints to have a lifetime of 100 years. I have seen a lot of improvements regarding printers/printing companies in the past few years so us Scrapbookers have definetly made a mark in the industry! ;)

I also want to ask this...since you started printing your pages (especially 12x12) have you changed your scrapping style? Mine underwent a huge change...especially because I realized how BIG 12x12 actually is! :giggle: and that you can fit sooo many stuff on it! lol

jomi
09-03-2009, 02:07 PM
For me it was one of the reason to changes sizes ;) I found 12" way too big for my single photo layouts. I just can't clutter a page so for my single photo layouts I switched to 8,5x11 and for my multiply photo's I will continue to make 12" layouts, but I think I'll have them printed at 8x8"

judet
09-03-2009, 03:02 PM
I've been doing a lot of going backwards and forwards about what size to scrap as well.

I've decided to use 12 x 12 because I can fit lots of pictures on. What I'm doing is either doing a 'proper' two page layout or I'm doing scrapping on one page and having a very simple co-ordinating page with a lot more photos on the other side.

I know that a lot of people say it's not important to use all your photos, but it really is to me and I think this is going to be the best way forward. I've taken to having a sheet of 12 x 12 card near me when I'm scrapping so I can use it to help me visualise how big the layout will look and I also always check the dimensions of the photos in inches so I'm clear in my head what I'm making!

Although, you might be right, Mari. I may well have some layouts printed and then change my mind anyway!

MariKoegelenberg
09-03-2009, 04:38 PM
lol! No the biggest change for me was my journaling size and the number of photos (and goodies!) I put on a page because I was a strict (more or less :giggle: ) One photo One page scrapper...but I changed that up when I saw how it looked printed. I save everything as a 12x12 to be printed and just resize as needed.

jacinda
09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I design all my pages in 12x12, but usually end up printing them 8x8. I'd go with a 10x10 option, but that isn't available with the company I print with yet. I find 8x8 is actually a great size. I just have to make sure my text is big enough to read once it's reduced from a 12x12 to 8x8.

judet
09-03-2009, 06:11 PM
I'd go for a 10 x 10 as well, don't really understand why there isn't a market for it

8 x 8 isn't going to be big enough for the photos I want to include, unless I have an album for every three months! Annoyingly though, I'm going to have to buy a wider set of bookshelves :giggle:

persnicketyprints
02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I'd go for a 10 x 10 as well, don't really understand why there isn't a market for it

8 x 8 isn't going to be big enough for the photos I want to include, unless I have an album for every three months! Annoyingly though, I'm going to have to buy a wider set of bookshelves :giggle:

I would LOVE to print my layouts as 10x10 too, but there isn't a market because there aren't any page protectors or books that size! Someone needs to invent some please! :D

ShabbyShaz
02-02-2010, 11:50 AM
I print mine as a photobook. That's the cheapest option here. Otherwise it's $5 per 8x8 page (one sided). There isn't even a 12x12 printing option available. I send out to Australia to print the photobooks. New Zealand is yet to catch up with that market.

Is there a big enough market for it in NZ Jacinda?

I print mine - mainly for hybird small board books. I did make an 8x8 album for my Aunt last year. Just printed it all glossy photo paper and stuck them back to back and made a cover for it. Then bound it with my bindit all.

It is perfect and would be an option for thos who would like to do 10x10.

Mind you I have a Epson r1900 so can print up to 12x12. :good:

I like 8x8 or 7x7 for one or two photo arty type layouts. Anything more I like 12x12. Guess that come from the old paper scrapping.

JaneAgain
02-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I haven't actually printed anything yet. I do the vast majority of my pages at 12 x12 because the papers are all 12 by 12, and I don't like it when the edges of the papers aren't there, kwim? But I'm in Canada, and it seems to be much more expensive to print because we need to order from the US (as far as I can find) and then we usually don't get to take advantage of the sales. I could print at home if I did rectangle ones. I'm not sure I want to print a square layout on a rectangle page, since I'm really not that good with scissors. So, yeah, I don't really do anything, but I'd like to. I just need to figure out what that is.

judet
02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Lol, re-reading this I've realised that I STILL haven't got anything printed! And I've changed my mind and I'm doing 8 x 8s.

I have bought some albums though so I've made a start!

MariKoegelenberg
02-02-2010, 02:55 PM
My Mom brought my 12x12 printed albums for me...might just have to do a photo shoot of them! :giggle:

YvetteSanders
02-02-2010, 04:14 PM
This is why I originally bought my large format printer (cost of printing in Canada), but Costco does the 12x18 for a really good price here in Canada now. I still haven't tried them, but I plan too give them a try this year sometime!

I haven't actually printed anything yet. I do the vast majority of my pages at 12 x12 because the papers are all 12 by 12, and I don't like it when the edges of the papers aren't there, kwim? But I'm in Canada, and it seems to be much more expensive to print because we need to order from the US (as far as I can find) and then we usually don't get to take advantage of the sales. I could print at home if I did rectangle ones. I'm not sure I want to print a square layout on a rectangle page, since I'm really not that good with scissors. So, yeah, I don't really do anything, but I'd like to. I just need to figure out what that is.

HeatherB
02-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Yvette - they've dropped the price of 12x12 so that it is 50 cents cheaper than 12x18 now. At least at our Costco - you should check out the price at yours.

YvetteSanders
02-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I'll have to check that, I haven't had anything professionally printed in years! Thanks!

persnicketyprints
02-03-2010, 01:12 AM
-

scrapping simply
02-03-2010, 02:42 AM
But I'm in Canada, and it seems to be much more expensive to print because we need to order from the US (as far as I can find) and then we usually don't get to take advantage of the sales.

Scrapping Simply (http://scrappingsimply.com) ships to Canada for a flat $5 rate. 12 x 12's are $1.99 and we go through each page by hand to make sure that you don't get anything cut off. And "shhhh" we have a SALE going to go on this weekend....so get those pages ready to print.

persnicketyprints
02-03-2010, 03:00 AM
-

scrapping simply
02-03-2010, 03:16 AM
WOW!!! It's good to meet you, too, Chari.

hollyinjapan
02-03-2010, 07:33 AM
I print out some of my layouts. I make them in 12x12, but print them out on my home printer in 8x8. I plan to print them all up in 8x8 once the Japanese costs go down. (Here I am holding my breath turning blue...)

nicoleseitler
02-03-2010, 12:23 PM
:holycow:

Hey, girls. I don't know what's going on here, but I'm locking down this thread until I figure it out.

First of all, Amanda is not a member of the Digichick's CT. Second, at TDC, we allow for people to have an open discussion about things and link to other sites, but we do not allow for our site to be used as self promotion or mass marketing tool (you can read more here: The Digichick's Rules & Guidelines Post (http://www.thedigichick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22925)). Chari, if you'd like access to posting in our "And Now a Word from Our Sponsors" forum about your new site, you would need to be one of our advertisers (see here for more about that: The Digichick Banner Program - 1 Month (http://www.thedigichick.com/shop/product.php?productid=17388)). Amanda has purchased advertising for the Scrapping Simply site, so she is entitled to post her advertisements in that section. Chari, I don't know what you two have going on here... but making it "personal" here on our forums is not okay. :mad:

nicoleseitler
02-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Okay, I've spoken to both Amanda and Chari. I've asked Chari to please remain professional here on our forums or I'll have to ban her for violating our site's rules and regs. I've also changed Chari's username so there will be less confusion, seeing as she now represents Persnickety Prints.

I'll open this thread back up again. Please play nice, girls. We pride ourselves on being drama-free and whatever is going on in your business relationship with one another, it does not need to be aired here. Thanks!

AquaRuby
02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
I get my pictures printed at scrapbookpictures.com -- they print out really nice and they constantly have sales. Right now 12x12's are $1.49 each. Uploading some pages right now. :)

missrubikscube
02-03-2010, 08:02 PM
i have always used scrapbook pictures in the past, with great successs- but they recently changed their shipping prices - 12x12's are REALLY expensive now to ship - like 49 cents per page (in addition to the normal shipping price - which is really cheap) .. so 100 pages (which is a normal order for me) ends up being $49 in shipping + the $5 cost for normal shipping :( i even called them today to check on the new shipping prices and they confirmed the amount :( so - i'll be changing printers now for sure ...

Jubeefish
02-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I have to admit that I don't print often enough - but my plan is to go with 6x6 albums. That's what I use for my paperscrapping and I really like the size.

I also have 4 printed books with layouts - I really like making mini albums of one event and/or one vacation. I use Costco to do my printing and it works out well.

AquaRuby
02-04-2010, 12:14 AM
I didn't realize their [scrapbookpictures.com] shipping was now per page. I think I may switching sites too. :(

putri
02-06-2010, 04:10 AM
I print but I haven't done it in a while. I do 12x12.

bttrflygrl
02-17-2010, 09:43 PM
I also want to ask this...since you started printing your pages (especially 12x12) have you changed your scrapping style? Mine underwent a huge change...especially because I realized how BIG 12x12 actually is! :giggle: and that you can fit sooo many stuff on it! lol

I was a 12x12 paper scrapper for a very short time before going digital. As a digital scrapper, when I printed my first 12x12 layout (on my Epson 1800) I was completely turned off. Nothing looked realistic - paper clips were GIANT, my journaling looked ridiculous, etc. I immediately started printing 8x8 instead and it looks so much nicer in my opinion. I still create my LO's as 12x12 in PS, but print smaller. In fact, my layouts are now 90% 8.5x11 - page composition is much easier for me in that size/orientation.

I still print all my layouts at home. I'm all about immediate gratification! LOL! Also, I'm a control freak when it comes to color and my colors are all accurate on my home set up. I'm thinking about sending the next few out just to experiment. It really is much more cost effective.

HeatherB
02-17-2010, 11:44 PM
I was a 12x12 paper scrapper for a very short time before going digital. As a digital scrapper, when I printed my first 12x12 layout (on my Epson 1800) I was completely turned off. Nothing looked realistic - paper clips were GIANT, my journaling looked ridiculous, etc.

Excellent point. I definitely keep that in mind when I am creating a 12x12 page, that I size the elements realistically. I'm also anal about shadows being correct. I love the size and try to use the space properly. But then again, I'm not a white-space gal, I use most of the 12x12 page anyway! ;) But I also think that most of my pages would look fine printed 8x8 as well. I make sure I use fonts that render clearly at small sizes just in case!

heathert
02-18-2010, 03:11 AM
I only print through Shutterfly...can't afford the inks! I've always downsized my prints from 12x12 to 8x8, but I'm often disappointed that things are so small, so I'd like to try it at 12x12--I'll have to keep the Giant Paper Clip (tm) in mind, though! *giggles*

bttrflygrl
02-18-2010, 04:44 AM
I know that if I played with the proportions of my elements I could make the 12x12 work, but my brain just doesn't go there. I guess I'm more of a "what you see is what you get" kind of digi scrappper. Anyway, I happen to love the smaller sizes and have no desire to upsize. It's a shame because I have this amazing wide-format printer, but lately I've been creating my own wall art and for that printing at larger sizes is great!

meganmecrazy
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I have so so so many LOs to print but it just always seems too overwhelming because I'm not sure what type of album to make or if I should just stick them all in an album and not worry about dates or themes. Also, I don't know much about online printing companies. I scrap my page 12 x 12 but then save the jpgs as an 8 x 8. I'm not sure if there needs to be any resizing done before you print or what.

HeatherB
02-18-2010, 11:26 AM
I guess I'm more of a "what you see is what you get" kind of digi scrappper. Anyway, I happen to love the smaller sizes and have no desire to upsize. It's a shame because I have this amazing wide-format printer, but lately I've been creating my own wall art and for that printing at larger sizes is great!

I'm a what you see is what you get kind of girl myself. But I'm also spoiled with a 24" monitor (which I do need for my job). :whistle: So I get to see how it will look printed just on my monitor.

But your printer also sounds really cool! Too bad I don't have a need for that for work! ;)

vivie
02-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I get my books from Arts Cow...shipping to northern Europe is affordable thru them since it's from China. I've been happy with them. Printer ink is expensive here so nope, can't do the printer method.

heathert
02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
I have so so so many LOs to print but it just always seems too overwhelming because I'm not sure what type of album to make or if I should just stick them all in an album and not worry about dates or themes. Also, I don't know much about online printing companies. I scrap my page 12 x 12 but then save the jpgs as an 8 x 8. I'm not sure if there needs to be any resizing done before you print or what.

I use Shutterfly in the States--just love them. (you can see an example of my latest book if you go to my blog and scroll all the way down the page). They have templates; some resizing is necessary to avoid things being cut off on the edges. You also need to plan for the space the binding takes on the inside edges of the pages--especially if you have a very thick book! It's soooooooooo awesome to see your work in print, I must say! :jump:

vivie
02-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Agreed Heather! And DH and kids love having something in their hands to look at rather than on a screen...

mzkellyb
02-18-2010, 06:00 PM
I just had a large batch of prints done through Persnickety since their sale was better than Scrapping Simply's that weekend ;) I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. Because of getting some things cut off with SS the first time I printed through them I re-sized my layouts down by .1 for height & width then re-increased the canvas size back to 12x12 or 8x8 - I haven't noticed anything cut off that I had intended to have on the page.

Now I'm just waiting to get my 3-ring binder scrapbook so it's not such a task to put my pages in order. lol :)

JaneAgain
02-26-2010, 06:31 PM
I just bought some paper at Red River Paper, since I have a nice printer. I bought their sample pack...well, I used the Digichick coupon for a free one, lol, but I am really excited. :) This will be the first stuff I print! :D

Rae's World
02-27-2010, 11:40 AM
I am such a slacker! I have been digi scrapping over 3yrs now and I still have not printed any thing!!! I need to get my butt in gear!!

juliemomof4
02-28-2010, 05:41 PM
I have been printing my 365 pages week by week. I am printing them in 8X8, and I got a book to put them in on sale for $7.00 :) I do alot of printing..but mostly for hybrid projects..lol..these are the first LOs i have printed out.

Danyale
02-28-2010, 11:28 PM
I will admit to printing a lot of hybrid projects, but have yet to print a full 12x12 of anything...skerred with all the sites and not knowing of the quality....ECK!
I think the quality of printing ourselves with 300dpi is a HUGE difference too, from previous.

skyezak
03-04-2010, 02:12 AM
I've just had my second lot of 12x12 layouts done through Persnickety (80 pages in the last lot and 50 in my first order with the sale) and they're just fabulous. No edges cut off whatsoever and beautiful matte photo paper, so I can most definitely recommend them. Also shipped to Australia within like 9-10 days too :)

justJess
03-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Has anybody come across a 10x10 album yet? I was just thinking this week that I ought to get my pages printed and I know that the 12x12 will be too big for me. I can't find an album in the 10 inch size though! I can find a 9x9 album from Making Memories, but I can't find anyone who offers a 9x9 print. I'm afraid that 8x8 might be too small to read the text on my pages, and I really don't want to have to go back and change them all! :wink:

Also, has anyone printed at MyPicTales? Were you happy with the quality? It's only 50 cents for a 10x10 page which makes my wallet happy. :giggle: But I don't want to do it if the prints aren't good.

kelleighr
03-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Jess, are you able to read the journaling on the pages shown in scrapbooking magazines? Or, can you read it on pages in galleries? If so, then you will probably do just fine with 8x8!