PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Frustrated

Susie_Cue
11-16-2005, 11:37 PM
I have been looking at tutorials for the last 2 days, and I still cannot figure out how to even do the most simplest thing. I have photoshop cs2. I also purchased 2 different calendar kits. I figured out how to get my background but I am wondering how can I do the layers. So I can put the month name over the patterned background AND not have a hge white box surrounding the month name.

I am so frustrated right now, it is unbelievable!!

Please help!

Susie_Cue

holly
11-17-2005, 12:02 AM
There is a layers pallette in Photoshop......and you'll see items on each layer. You just have to drag each layer in that pallette on top or below the other layers in that pallette. I believe it's under Windows/Layers. Anytime you "flatten" layers (Layer/Flatten Image) you may get that white background.

Great layer tut:
http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/layers/intro.htm

AmyJo
11-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Which calendar kits are you working with? Some graphics (like those from PC Crafter) are not transparent PNG background files, they are .jpg and jpg files don't retain their transparency...

Susie_Cue
11-17-2005, 10:13 AM
I bought both the kit by Christy Lyle and another one by Heather Ann Melzer & Gina Cabrera. The backgrounds are .jpg, and the accents & month titles are opened up through adobe image reader. I can't figure out how to move it from the image reader to photoshop without having the white around the image.

Also when I want to add a picture I open it in photoshop, resize it then layer it right?

Sorry to be so dense about all this. I thought this was easy, boy was I wrong.

Susie_Cue

holly
11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Instead of double-clicking on those files opening in reader, open them through Photoshop (File/Open). Most likely they are .png files. When you do that, you can drag from one pallette to the other.

yes, on the photo part!

Susie_Cue
11-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks, I will try it when I get home. I will try to post whatever I can get done so I can get some opinions.

I'm cheating right now and looking up photoshop info at work :27:

You guys are wonderful!!!

Susie_Cue

Susie_Cue
11-17-2005, 08:42 PM
I won't allow me to open the png files in photoshop. Now what do I do?

Susie_Cue

holly
11-17-2005, 10:04 PM
You're sure you have photoshop? You're doing File/Open and finding the file? No idea why you wouldn't be able to. I create all my PNG files in Photoshop.

Susie_Cue
11-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Yep, Adobe Photoshop CS2

I go through file, open and then try to open the zip file and it sends and error. If i extract the zip file then open the indivdual file (png) I also recieve and error.

Sould I get a different version of photoshop?

Susie_Cue

c_lyle
11-17-2005, 11:23 PM
It sounds to me like you need to unzip the files first by using an unzip program like Winzip. If you have Windows XP, it has a built in unzip program called "Extraction Wizard". Once your files are unzipped, you should be able to open them without getting any error messages. HTH!

Susie_Cue
11-17-2005, 11:29 PM
I did it!!!!!!

I finally got it to work. WOO HOO!!! It is so basic because I just wanted to make sure I could add all the pieces together, save it and print one out to see the quality. I'm think I don't have enough brain power to figure out how to upload it now.

I am very embaressed to say that it was user error....i did not unzip the files properly.

Sorry for my stupidity, but thanks for all the patience!!!!!!!!!

Susie_Cue (I swear my IQ is above 10)

Vania16
11-17-2005, 11:29 PM
I wonder if when you extract you're still trying to open the zipped file inadvertantly (very easy to do :) ) Make sure that the .png you're trying to open is in the new file that is created when you unzip, not the original one you downloaded.

Susie_Cue
11-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Christy it is funny you say that.....I just figured out it was the way I was unzip-ing the files. I was doing it wrong.

I DID A PAGE (sorry for screaming but I am so excited)

So for my stupidity, but thanks for the help and patience.

Susie_Cue ( i swear my IQ is above 10)

Susie_Cue
11-17-2005, 11:32 PM
And apparently I am smoking crack....because I posted twice

S

Vania16
11-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Congrats! And don't worry - we've all had those "IQ of 10" moments LOL! Glad you got things rolling :)

AmyJo
11-17-2005, 11:50 PM
oh nooooo, you aren't smoking crack! i know people that do that, and there's no way they'd even be able to type anything ;o)

c_lyle
11-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Susie ~ I'm glad you figured it out!

AmyJo ~ You're too funny!