PDA

View Full Version : what do you put on your fries??

Jane_4SBD
11-05-2009, 01:56 PM
They other night the family & I went out to eat. Of course we all got meals with yummy french fries. At the table was vinegar & since we dont use it at home my son Hunter asked what it was for.
Now I grew up in Ontario where people put vinegar on their fries, we live in New Brunswick were people down here dont. I have seen some folks eat fries with mayo also.... that to me is a heart attack waiting to happen! So, it got me to wondering what condiments if any do you eat your fries with?
I occasionally dip them ketchup, but usually love them the way they are, naked!

donnawells
11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I like mine naked too. I do like to dip in mayo but avoid it because it's so much fat! I used ketchup as a kid but I'm not fond of ketchup anymore for some reason.

HeatherB
11-05-2009, 02:25 PM
yummmmmmm fries!

I like them with malt vinegar and sea salt and a touch of freshly ground pepper. And if its around, add a little drizzle of chicken gravy (like from KFC) on top of this, and that is a little bite of heaven.

I also like the French way - with gravy and cheese curds (Poutine).

But I usually just eat them plain with a little sea salt. And normally we have oven-baked fries, because deep-fried fries are just too unhealthy. Despite tasting so incredibly good! ;)

MariKoegelenberg
11-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Fries with a Cheesy Sauce and some Green Tabasco sauce! Divine! :giggle:

Fries Naked!!! Oh yeah baby! lol!

but I do love some Vinegar and Salt on proper thick cut REAL Potato fries...they are not crispy but more soggy (does not sound so appetizing?:giggle:) But trust me it is good!

HeatherB
11-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Now I'm in the mood for some fish + chips for supper!

jacinda
11-05-2009, 03:19 PM
My girls and I like to sprinkle vinegar on our chips, but DH doesn't. We all like tomato sauce / ketchup too. If we're having KFC (very rare) I like to dip my chips in their gravy, but other than then it's not a standard practice.

gonewiththewind
11-05-2009, 03:51 PM
There's nothing better than a 99 cent ice cream from McDonald's and dip your hot french fries in it. Sounds crazy, but the mix of sweet and salty, cold and hot is DIVINE.

I love ketchup . . . have since I was a child. My mom would find the hardest french fry and give me a pile of ketchup. The ketchup would be gone and I would be left holding one soggy fry. LOL

I only like to have mayo with my fries if they are home fries (you know, where I cut the potato and fry them myself). Sometimes I like loaded fries ~ with cheese and bacon and then dipped into Ranch dressing.

YUM. Now I'm going to be having food fantasies about french fries. LOL

ETA: no vinegar BUT I do like salt and vinegar potato chips.

lizzyfizzy
11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
ketchup or ranch! :D

EliseH
11-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Have you guys ever heard of fry sauce? It's a mixture of ketchup, mayo, and sometimes a little bit of other stuff like BBQ sauce or mustard. It might not sound great, but with fries, it's delish! Mmm... fries.

wildblueeyez
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Depends..... if I am out at a restaurant, usually ketchup. if I am at home, usually season salt. if I am at the amusement park and getting potato patch fries, cheese or vinegar. if I am at a fair/festival type thing, vinegar.

:giggle:

now you got me craving fries with vinegar!!!

melwilson
11-05-2009, 06:27 PM
RANCH!!! Or sometimes cream gravy (white gravy) ...yum.

snaggletooth75
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
I detest ketchup LOL so i usually dip mine in a vanilla milkshake ( Mcdonalds or Friendlys LOL)

Charla
11-05-2009, 06:37 PM
I've never been a big fan of fries. I'll eat them occasionally, especially steak fries, but when I was 5 I told my mom I didn't like them, and never really changed from that. :D
If I do have any, I like ketchup with them.

ccouch
11-05-2009, 07:11 PM
mmm....french fries (says the girl on a diet ;) )

I like 'em nekkid with salt, w/ ketchup, w/ malt vinegar, or dipped in a superbly tasty combo of mayo & mustard. On a side note, I always eat my hash browns with mayo & mustard. Super-yum!

RebeccaH
11-05-2009, 07:49 PM
normally ketchup for the every-day run-of-the-mill french fry encounter.

but when i'm really feelin' it, i LOVE to melt 3 or 4 different kinds of cheese over the fries... yuuuum!

sinead
11-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Well, I'm Irish, so my fave way to eat fries would be fresh from the chipper in a brown bag (they don't use newspaper anymore) with salt and vinegar (white) shaken on top. YUMM!!!! If I'm at home, I do the same thing without the bag and I add ketchup--on the side so that I can dip, never poured directly over the fries!

wildblueeyez
11-05-2009, 09:57 PM
I detest ketchup LOL so i usually dip mine in a vanilla milkshake ( Mcdonalds or Friendlys LOL)

YUM! the only fries I do this to is Wendy's fries in a chocolate frosty - think about it... it's like a chocolate covered pretzel = salty and chocolate!!! Mmmmmm!!

SunshineTK
11-05-2009, 10:05 PM
My favorites are:

ranch dressing

salt & vinegar

combo of mayo and ketchup

We don't eat fries very often so they're always a treat!

Pamela Donnis
11-05-2009, 10:50 PM
I should have avoided this thread says the girl on a diet. (trying to lose those pregnancy pounds!)Geez.

But anyway, ketchup, yep.
Fry sauce. (Elise, I think it's a Utah/Idaho only thing?)
But I love them with a chocolate Frosty at Wendys.

hollyinjapan
11-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Ketchup, mayo, and/or Ranch. Yumm! Guess what's coming out for dinner tonight!

justJess
11-07-2009, 08:29 PM
My mouth is now watering! :giggle:

Ranch for me (my family teases that I'll dip anything in ranch!)
Ice cream shake if it's available

or covered in melted cheese and then dipped in ranch :D

michellebatton
11-08-2009, 07:15 PM
OK - I don't know where you all live....but VINEGAR....or MAYO.... on your fries. Blech!! That makes my tummy gurgle just thinking about it. LOL

Everyone I know eats them naked or with ketchup. Me included!

Although I'm gonna wholeheartedly agree with Cheryl on the McD's icecream and fries. I discovered that one as a teenager and will still stick a fry in there if one is still around by the time we get the ice cream!

vivie
11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Fries here in holland are amazing!!! Probably being so close to Belgium where they are from originally!!! They eat them here with mayo but the mayo here is different, more flavored, a little tart, closer to Miracle Whip. Love them this way!!!

Another way they eat them here is in peanut sauce (satay sauce)...totally disgusting. And "oorlog" style or "at war" which is fries with ketchup, mayo, peanut sauce, and chopped onions...also disgusting...ROFL ROFL ROFL!!

Unica
11-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Mayo of course. Or covered in cheese, bacon and dipped in ranch (I'm gaining weigh just thinking of them).

Kathy Moore
11-08-2009, 11:32 PM
OK - I don't know where you all live....but VINEGAR....or MAYO.... on your fries. Blech!! That makes my tummy gurgle just thinking about it. LOL

Everyone I know eats them naked or with ketchup. Me included!

This! Maybe it's geography, but I've never heard of vinegar...I have heard of Mayo, though. I love the fries at the steakhouse that come covered with melted cheese and bacon bits and you dip them in Ranch...yum! But mostly, as she said, naked or with ketchup.

HeatherB
11-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I think salt + vinegar is a British thing.

Another way they eat them here is in peanut sauce (satay sauce)...totally disgusting. And "oorlog" style or "at war" which is fries with ketchup, mayo, peanut sauce, and chopped onions...also disgusting...ROFL ROFL ROFL!!
I think my stomach would be "at war" if I ate something like that! :giggle:

nicoleseitler
11-09-2009, 02:48 PM
ketchup or ranch! :D

Ditto! :yeshuh: No nekked fries for me. I always have to have at least some ketchup. And I like ranch, too!

MrsWresh
11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Elise and Pamela - I had to laugh when you said Fry Sauce is a Utah/Idaho thing. I live in Arizona and when we would go to Utah for Church Conference we would look forward to fry sauce.

I thought it was some "special" sauce.My husband got me this cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Mormon-Cookbook-Potatoes-Combinations/dp/1590382404) and it has a recipe for fry sauce. I felt duped to realize it was only mayo and ketchup! Still yummy though!!

michellebatton
11-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Fries here in holland are amazing!!! Probably being so close to Belgium where they are from originally!!! They eat them here with mayo but the mayo here is different, more flavored, a little tart, closer to Miracle Whip. Love them this way!!!

oooh, icky, icky! You keep those over there in Holland ok? :giggle:

lorryfach
11-17-2009, 07:10 AM
I grew up in the south and malt vinegar on fries was normal for my family IF you're eating fried fish. I'm sure it started out like English fish 'n' chips, but they aren't much like that anymore except for the vinegar. LOL

At home, my fries are just salted. If we're eating out, they're usually served with remoulade, and if there's remoulade there, I'll use it but I won't go out of my way for it. Mayo is common too, and I'll use it if it's there. At McDonald's, they have something called fry sauce (NOT the mix mentioned previously, but a different fry sauce), which I've tried because I was curious. It's ok, but not worth paying for. (Yeah, you have to pay for your mayo, ketchup, etc. packets over here.)

Strangely, my 100% Danish husband likes his with ketchup. When he asks for ketchup, he gets really weird looks. NO ONE does that here. When they find out I'm American, they assume it's something I taught him, but I can't stand ketchup! :giggle:

judet
11-17-2009, 09:01 AM
I haven't had fish 'n' chips with salt 'n' vinegar for YEARS.

Now I'm craving. The chip shop is a short walk away.

But I know I'd feel sick afterwards.

At least I still know that the battered sausage is disgusting. Yuck.

I PROMISED myself I wouldn't come back to this thread... think healthy, think healthy.

Johubb
11-23-2009, 12:58 PM
I never met a fry I didn't like!!!! Usually I eat them naked or with ketchup. However, I will dip in ranch dressing, sweet and sour sauce or honey mustard too. Of course, I think french fries should be a food group!

Digi-Scrap
11-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Just regular catsup, or ranch dressing if available.