PDA

View Full Version : So, fussy mum or typical scrapbooker?

judet
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok, so my daughter's nativity was this morning. It's her first year at school.

She was one of the animals in the stable (a pig, lol) and while I have no problem that she wasn't in a more important role (it's not like she would have said anything, anyway!) I'm feeling rather put out that my little girl was one of only 5 children who were wearing masks.

So loads of other mums and dads have pictures of their little darlings from their nativity. I have a picture of a large pig mask which almost entirely covers my child.

Ok so I'm sure I'll be making a layout about it, but it would be really nice to have had a nice picture from her FIRST school play.

And she said to me later that she couldn't see the play because she couldn't see through the holes in the mask...

Not sure if I'm being a drama queen here, but I just wanted a picture!! :sosad:

missrubikscube
12-10-2009, 04:22 PM
oh - that's so sad! i totally get where you are coming from ... i would think that they would just have them wear some makeup and an ear headband or something vs. full face masks! darn!

sinead
12-10-2009, 04:51 PM
bummer! If it makes you feel any better, I was so far back in the church for Maggie's Advent program this year that I could only see her with the zoom lens. You can forget about getting a decent pic that far away indoors at night!

judet
12-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks - I knew you guys would understand.

I'd gone with my F1.8 50mm lens and everything, I thought I was a super-prepared mamarazzi. Grr.

Just going to have to find the fabbest christmas kit and make the best of it, I guess.

jacinda
12-10-2009, 06:30 PM
I'd use the photos from the Nativity, then on your scrapbook page just insert a portrait style photo of her face (without mask). I personally wouldn't worry about not seeing her face. My dd's first school play was wearing a mask and I thought she looked super cute. Scrap it as it happened and journal that you missed seeing her face. I'm sure all the rest of her scrapbook pages have her face uncovered.

ccouch
12-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Jacinda, you're such a gem. Uplifting, encouraging, and you always know just what to say :D

Jude, I'm sorry this special event wasn't quite as you had planned. I hope you're able to pull together a nice LO and remember this fondly just the same. ((hugs))

judet
12-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh, I know - it's just that there were so few of them with their faces covered, I think that's what got me the most. And when she said she hadn't been able to see ...

And also because she'd asked me to take pictures of her - and that really doesn't happen very often, lol!

laurabobaura
12-10-2009, 10:17 PM
great outlook, jacinda!

i TOTALLY get you, jude. i'm one of 'those' too :P sometimes i need to remind myself that life doesn't always need to be a big production, and to scrap things they way they happened, like jacinda said :)

marianneh
12-11-2009, 07:09 AM
oh wow Jacinda, that was so perfectly said! Jude, I completely understand how you feel :)

g8rbeckie
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
ummmm...I'd be ticked, too. (or disappointed, or whatever!)...

It probably too late...but with my kids recent preschool "show", I got pics of them on stage (en masse, all the kids singing). THen after the show, I got pics of them sitting on the stage by themselves near the decorations. That was I can put in one of the whole show itself, but I have cute pics of their faces from that night that I can put on the page too!

yamstamps
12-11-2009, 08:30 PM
sorry, I'm too busy giggling about "mamarazzi".....

lovely suggestion Jacinda :)

judet
12-12-2009, 12:10 PM
:)

Have to laugh at Jacinda's suggestion actually, cos most of the other pages have her running away from the camera, lol! I got pics I can work with so its fine. Just a shame to miss seeing her excited little face (she's been practicising the songs for WEEKS!

neenee
12-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Oh, I am totally sympathetic to you for this! I would have wanted to see her face too! I think being scrappers, we are always looking for that perfect shot, kwim? So, it's not that we are fussy or anything...we just see pics as layouts. LOL

litabells
12-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Oh man - what a bummer! I would have felt the same! My daughter performed in her first school christmas concert just this week and i couldnt get anywhere near the stage to get a photo :( She was also in her first ever school production this year - and there were no photos allowed. Insert cranky pants here!

Every time someone says 'no photos allowed', a scrapbooker dies...

hollyinjapan
12-15-2009, 08:37 PM
That really is disappointing. You'd hope that the teachers could have made a photo op for the all the kids to show their faces. I'd certainly mention it to a teacher.

If you have the costume at home, maybe she'd dress up in it for you without the mask so you could get a photo? Also, Jacinda, great suggestion.