PDA

View Full Version : What are you proud that you can do...

Charla
12-11-2009, 09:31 AM
...that you never thought you'd be able to?

I'm very proud that I can spell Mari's last name now (Koegelenberg) without thinking through it now :rotfl:

I'm pretty proud of the fact that I can eat and mouse left-handed, thanks to all these years of nursing! :dance:

How about you?

judet
12-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I always used to have to check Mari's surname too, lol!

I'm proud that I can run further than I thought I ever could.
I'm proud that I'm not scared of heights any more and can climb mountains without even thinking of it. (I'm terrified of my girls falling, but that's different!)

MariKoegelenberg
12-11-2009, 11:47 AM
:giggle: yeah come on how difficult can it be!!! :haha:

donnawells
12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
This isn't really something I can "do", but it's something I'm "doing". I'm proud that I've been self-employed since 2001. I never in a million years thought I would be able to do that. It's been tough sometimes, but I'm keeping my head above water and I see great things for 2010. I really love being my own boss and not having to leave to go to a job everyday!

Charla
12-11-2009, 12:50 PM
That's awesome, Donna! :good: I do much better having a boss, but I envy people like you the freedom your self-employment allows!

Jude, that's SO cool :good: I love it!

Mari :giggle: It's okay. No one can spell my last name, either. They can't say it, either. It's not that hard, but I'm always hearing "Vickler" and once even heard "Vikler!" (It's Virkler. Two Rs. :giggle:)

g8rbeckie
12-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm proud that I can still remember all of the states in alphabetical order from a song I learned when I was 9...

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut...you get the point :)

ummm...
I'm proud that I can travel for work and get around by myself! When I took my first job (in Houston), I was TERRIFIED of driving in the city and practiced for three days before my first day. Last year I went to Ireland and the UK by myself for business and loved it!

donnawells
12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I would be terrified of the traveling and getting around alone, too. I don't do well in those situations. I get a little panicky! So, YAY for you...I'm envious.

Speaking of retaining something you memorized. When I was a freshman in high school my best friend was ALWAYS reading a romance novel. I used to tease her by reading the information on the back in a dramatic way. One book in particular, I read the opening paragraph so many times that I memorized it and I can still recite that today. "Night gripped the city with cold misty darkness. The threat of winter was heavy in the air. Acrid smoke stung the nostrils and throat.....blah blah blah." It goes on.

Then the summer after graduation I was looking for a book to read. I had totally forgotten exactly WHAT book I'd memorized. I grabbed one off my sister's shelf, opened to the first chapter and started reading "Night gripped the city..." Ha I didn't read the book. :giggle:

EliseH
12-11-2009, 03:14 PM
LOL-- acrid smoke! :rotfl:

Beckie, I think you and I know the same song-- as soon as I read your post, I started humming it! ... Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana... We even did actions and I remember those, too. Kind of sad, kind of cool! :giggle:

I make a killer caramel-- I make them every year for Christmas and every year they turn out better. I have to act modest... "oh, it's nothing".... but really, these caramels are incredible. I just have to try not to eat too many myself!

EliseH
12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
LOL-- acrid smoke! :rofl:

Beckie, I think you and I know the same song-- as soon as I read your post, I started humming it! ... Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana... We even did actions and I remember those, too. Kind of sad, kind of cool! :giggle:

I make a killer caramel-- I make them every year for Christmas and every year they turn out better. I have to act modest... "oh, it's nothing".... but really, these caramels are incredible. I just have to try not to eat too many myself!

lizzyfizzy
12-11-2009, 03:24 PM
koegelenberg. i looked once and typed it. is it right!??!?!

eta. hecks yes it is!!!!

donnawells
12-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Good job, Lizzy! Elise, you'll be sending caramels to the entire TDC crew, right? :bounce:

Charla
12-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Mari, if it makes you feel any better that we're all having so much fun figuring out how to spell your last name, we've heard that it's a "parlor game" for people to try to figure out the names of my siblings :giggle: Bonus points to those who can get them in order!! (there are 11 of us)

lizzyfizzy
12-11-2009, 04:18 PM
:giggle: YAY!!!! caramels are my favorite!!!

MariKoegelenberg
12-11-2009, 08:01 PM
you can write it...can you pronounce it??? :lolcry:

sorry I just have to have a giggle! lol!

yamstamps
12-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Hmmmm there's no microphone feature here (thank goodness). I'm just not sure on how the "oe" is pronounced....is it like an "ay" or an "oh" or....

No one can spell or pronounce my last name (Yamamoto)....when I was married, I figured I would never have to spell my last name again. I was wrong. My married name was "Wright" and if I told people that, they'd always say "With a 'W'?" (honestly? have you ever seen another way to spell it?)

marianneh
12-11-2009, 10:46 PM
you can write it...can you pronounce it??? :lolcry:

sorry I just have to have a giggle! lol!

I can!! :wink: but then, I do have an advantage over the other chicks, hey Mari? :)

I'm proud that I can drive on both sides of the road! In SA we drive on the left and here they drive on the right. I'm proud that I learnt photoshop, it's one of the tasks I set myself when we arrived here :) and I'm so proud that we managed to stay here for as long as we did, we're so close to reaching our goal and it's a good feeling! and I'm proud that I seem to be doing a fairly ok job as a SAHM ;)

kateypie
12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
It's been a year since my last baby was born, and a few weeks since I've breastfed her, but I'm still so super proud that I gave birth to three children at home, and breastfed them all. It wasn't easy, and I feel extremely proud of it actually (and lucky to live in a country where this is normal, safe and legal... oh and FREE).

I can also wiggle my ears and cross my eyes in different directions.. less proud of this skill, lol!

donnawells
12-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Well I for one am extremely impressed with those accomplishments using a variety of body parts! :giggle:

neenee
12-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I am proud that I can have taught myself how to do lots of html coding and taught myself to quilt. I am sure there are a few other things but, those are the ones that stand out in my mind that I use ALL the time!

ccouch
12-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Today we were headed out to a birthday party, and I realized that my jeans were all in the wash, along w/ khakis, etc... I had nothing to wear but dressier slacks. So....I pulled out a pair of my I-can't-squeeze-into-these-anymore jeans from a box in the closet, and....

I'm very proud that I can wear a pair of my skinnier jeans again! I even got compliments at the party - score!!

jacinda
12-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Woohoo Christine!

I'm proud of the fact I taught myself photoshop and scrapbooking without taking a single class. (This was for two main reasons: 1) I couldn't afford classes, and 2) I had no-one to babysit the kidlet even if I could go to a class).

hollyinjapan
12-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Katey, me too! Breastfeeding here is just the norm and I'm so proud that I was able to do it for my kids. I never, not once, bought a container of formula. I was blessed to be able to do that so easily, I know many women who want to are not able for a variety of reasons.

Linda, I can say your name!!! I can even write it in kanji.:heart:

And that is exactly what I am proud of myself for. I can function as an adult in this crazy society. I can read 75% of the letters that come home from my kids' school. I can understand almost any advertisement that comes into my mailbox so I know which ones are junk and which ones I might be interested in. I can speak to my friends, neighbors, and my kids' teachers and even know which level of politeness needs to be used. I can teach scrapbooking in Japanese. I can get around the country on the train system if needed. Its taken me 17 years of living here, but I think I'm finally growing up!:jump:

donnawells
12-15-2009, 09:04 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day, Holly, when you posted your layout of your wedding photos. I wondered in what language do you and your husband communicate. And your kids, is there a primary language you use with them? I'm fascinated. I have a friend who moved to Germany to teach English and married a German man so he spoke German and she spoke English and their kids learned both growing up so now everyone is bilingual.

Charla
12-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Donna, languages fascinate me too. I have a Bulgarian friend who married a German, and English was the language they shared until she learned German. I'm still not sure what language(s) they're teaching their daughter. I think it's so cool!

I'm so jealous, Katey! I had my first at home and love that I could do that for her. (unfortunately I hemmoraged afterwards so wasn't a candidate for homebirth for my other two). I'm proud that I had her at home, though. I'm also proud that I had epidural-free births for the other two...with serious pitocin. The comparison between my water, medical-free birth with Jasmine and pitocin with the others....it was like comparing eating chocolate to being stung by a swarm of bees!!! :thud:

Anyways. I made it and I'm very proud of myself.
I'm also pleased that I've nursed my kids so long. I bought a bottle for Hudson a couple months ago so we could leave him for a concert, but until then I didn't own a bottle. I even tandem-nursed, which was cool (most of the time) :wub: I'm very proud of myself for doing that, even when I occasionally heard "Is that good for the baby to keep nursing Jasmine?" because I knew I was doing the right thing.

hollyinjapan
12-16-2009, 05:49 AM
Donna, when I first got here, I spoke very little English. My husband once spent a few months in New Zealand to study English so we've only really spoken English since the first day we met. I've learned Japanese since then, but still once a language habit is established it feels silly to change it.

We're both pretty committed to keeping our children bilingual. We try to speak only English in our home, but when we're together with his family it has to be Japanese. But even then, when its just a matter of something to be said between us, we'll speak in English.

I know my kids are getting to an age where it embarrasses them to have me speak to them in English in front of their friends, but I do anyway. I also speak mostly in English to my kids' friends whether they understand me or not. Most kids here study some form of English converstation so they catch my meaning. But its no where nearly as intense as the European system. I'm so envious of Europeans -- I would love to be able to speak 5 to 8 languages with ease!

donnawells
12-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Wow...that is just amazing. I can't even imagine being that brave! I'm very impressed. :-)

SylviaB
12-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Ok... you probably know I'm German and today I've learned something very important! And I'm proud of now speaking Modge Podge right :lol: (oh oh... I think I better should RUN now.... :giggle: )

judet
12-16-2009, 10:51 AM
But its no where nearly as intense as the European system. I'm so envious of Europeans -- I would love to be able to speak 5 to 8 languages with ease!

I'm not really sure how true that is. (Well, I know it isn't in the UK - we mostly take the approach that everyone else should learn English :() I've not really been off the beaten track in Europe and have come across plenty of people that don't speak other languages. Or at least don't speak English, I should say. Particularly memorable was trying to converse with the Italian owner of an Italian restaurant in Austria. He could get by in German, I have a vague awareness of German and no clue about Italian other than ciao. And pizza. The food was good in the end and it was quite fun playing charades to order the it :P.

I've often thought about learning another language but I can't really decide which to learn. My daughters will be learning Spanish at school in a couple of years so I'll probably tag along with their homework :)

Oh, and on the original point of this thread! I'm quite proud that I cut my daughters hair this week and she looks pretty cute! Must take a picture without the woolly hat, actually! Saved me £7 as well!

laurabobaura
12-16-2009, 10:53 AM
This isn't really something I can "do", but it's something I'm "doing". I'm proud that I've been self-employed since 2001. I never in a million years thought I would be able to do that. It's been tough sometimes, but I'm keeping my head above water and I see great things for 2010. I really love being my own boss and not having to leave to go to a job everyday!

props! mine is similar. i'm proud to be able to help pay my family's bills while 'working' at home. :) who knew work could be so fun!? :)

donnawells
12-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Sylvia, I hope you have your running shoes on because I'm after you with Nicole's rolling pin!!! :superangry: Your punishment will be to write Mod Podge 500 times! :giggle:

MariKoegelenberg
12-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Modge Podge...nah nah nah!!! Cant catch us!!! :giggle:

ccouch
12-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Perhaps when referring to the product, we can say Mod Podge. But, in the verb form, it can stay modge podge. As in, "I'm going to make a gorgeous hybrid project for Donna's new home. I'm just going to modge podge it all together with the new Mod Podge that I just picked up." :giggle:

donnawells
12-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Uh...sure...you go right ahead and do that. Plugging my ears (or in this case closing my eyes) la la la la la la la la.

SylviaB
12-17-2009, 05:00 AM
ROFLMBAO!!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

see my running shoes, Donna? --> :bolt:
:giggle:

ohhh... but if you catch me though I will be a good girl and write 500 times:
Modge Podge, Modge Podge, Modge Podge, Modge Podge, Modge Podge......

yamstamps
12-17-2009, 07:50 AM
You guys are too funny :giggle:

Holly, I am _so_ impressed with your ability to get by in Japanese. Trust me, I took a some lessons as a child (but then wondered why I was doing that when my father wouldn't practise with me!!! LOL - he learned from his parents, and being in Canada, he said he had only "improper country slang & dialect" vs the current modern & correct way of speaking). I can ask for the bathroom in Japanese (very handy) but that's about it.... (oh and I know when someone's calling me "dumb" roflol)

I am proud that I can I can assemble DIY furniture (think IKEA etc). I always feel so handy. So far (touch wood) (touch laminate, I guess) everything's still intact....

donnawells
12-17-2009, 08:13 AM
I guess I'll have to wait and catch you when you don't have your shoes on! :giggle:

ccouch
12-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Here ya go Donna :D
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2534/3691854811_883c893d1c_o.jpg

donnawells
12-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Aw! That's CUTE!

ccouch
12-17-2009, 02:43 PM
It's from the blog http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com. Lots of great ideas there!

donnawells
12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I bookmarked that...it looks like a good source for ideas. See and I wouldn't have ever known about it if you hadn't typed modge and I hadn't had an OCD meltdown!

marianneh
12-17-2009, 04:56 PM
can I chime in here on the topic of languages and not "hod podge" :)

In South Africa, we pretty much grew up bi-lingual. You'll have your mother-tongue which is either English or Afrikaans (or one of the other 11 offficial languages) and then, if English isn't your mother-tongue, that will be your second language. So most SAfricans will have a very good command of the English language and speak and understand at least a second and third language!

WIth DH and myself, we speak Afrikaans at home, we can read, write and speak English, we understand and speak a little bit of Zulu and can understand a LITTLE Arabic (can say hallo and thank you and please and you're welcome) :)

and the little one ... he decided that he now counts in English, lol! he's been hearing the counting song on Barney and though he has no idea of how much 7 actually is, he can say the words! :)

donnawells
12-17-2009, 05:23 PM
I would like to see a few sentences written in Afrikaans, if you please. I know next to nothing about the language!

Charla
12-17-2009, 05:24 PM
That would be cool!
I know it's related to Dutch, but that's about it. I'm fascinated by languages :)

snaggletooth75
12-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Honestly, shoot a 50 cal:D AND hit the target LOL hubby is ex military sooo we always had a gun collection cause he used to practice on off time so he could qualify as an expert:D
I dont think i have ever felt as bad as I did shooting one LOL

snaggletooth75
12-17-2009, 09:26 PM
OO another one is I can change my own oil LOL i never thought id be able to do that cause im stupid with stuff like that but hubby is a fantastic teacher

snaggletooth75
12-17-2009, 09:33 PM
OOO thats awesome Marianne!!! I always wanted to speak a second language but i have no pateince with learning LOL
I didnt know SA first langage was english

can I chime in here on the topic of languages and not "hod podge" :)

In South Africa, we pretty much grew up bi-lingual. You'll have your mother-tongue which is either English or Afrikaans (or one of the other 11 offficial languages) and then, if English isn't your mother-tongue, that will be your second language. So most SAfricans will have a very good command of the English language and speak and understand at least a second and third language!

WIth DH and myself, we speak Afrikaans at home, we can read, write and speak English, we understand and speak a little bit of Zulu and can understand a LITTLE Arabic (can say hallo and thank you and please and you're welcome) :)

and the little one ... he decided that he now counts in English, lol! he's been hearing the counting song on Barney and though he has no idea of how much 7 actually is, he can say the words! :)

marianneh
12-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I would like to see a few sentences written in Afrikaans, if you please. I know next to nothing about the language!

That would be cool!
I know it's related to Dutch, but that's about it. I'm fascinated by languages :)

lol! you guys are funny. I'll just translate Donna's post, k?

"Ek sal graag 'n paar sinne in Afrikaans wil sien, as jy nie omgee nie. Ek weet omtrent niks van die taal nie." :D

It's a very gutteral language, in that sounds that are soft in English are "hard" in Afr. as in "rain" and the Afr. word for it "reŽn" the "r" is pronounced right at the back of your front top teeth "rrrrrrr" {I'm of course sitting here imagining all of you doing that, :giggle: }

Charla - you're quite correct, it's related to Dutch, though the modern version is much closer to Flemish :)

and to end your Afrikaans lesson for today, here's a link to a video, the lady is quite a popular singer back home and I thought you might like it :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsuUC3OEyrE
(Blouberg se strand, is an actual beach in Cape Town, roughly translated it's the blue mountain's beach)

ok, and ONE more :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OXUpH4dy2g
(translated it's "between trains")

Honestly, shoot a 50 cal:D AND hit the target LOL hubby is ex military sooo we always had a gun collection cause he used to practice on off time so he could qualify as an expert:D
I dont think i have ever felt as bad as I did shooting one LOL

OOOHHHH!!! I can also shoot, I'm actually rather good! we went target practising one day and I hit all the targets, including the empty coke can :) The boys were not amused :giggle:

donnawells
12-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Those are cool...thank you for sharing those, Marianne.

marianneh
12-20-2009, 12:04 PM
you're welcome Donna :) thanks for being interested!

hollyinjapan
12-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Very cool Marianne, and very difficult it would seem!

On another note, I'm not sure if this counts as something I can do, but I'm very proud that I have acquired the skills of tolerance, acceptance, endurance and patience. And I have to say that I have learned these traits because of the challenges of 1. being married to a Japanese man, and 2. being a minority in this homogeneous society.

donnawells
12-20-2009, 07:54 PM
I think those certainly count. Not everyone can say that! I think you can add strength to that. I don't know if I could live in another country. I'm too much of a homebody.

snaggletooth75
12-20-2009, 08:05 PM
:giggle: They never are when you out shoot them LOL

lol! you guys are funny. I'll just translate Donna's post, k?

:D

It's a very gutteral language, in that sounds that are soft in English are "hard" in Afr. as in "rain" and the Afr. word for it "reŽn" the "r" is pronounced right at the back of your front top teeth "rrrrrrr" {I'm of course sitting here imagining all of you doing that, :giggle: }

Charla - you're quite correct, it's related to Dutch, though the modern version is much closer to Flemish :)

and to end your Afrikaans lesson for today, here's a link to a video, the lady is quite a popular singer back home and I thought you might like it :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsuUC3OEyrE
(Blouberg se strand, is an actual beach in Cape Town, roughly translated it's the blue mountain's beach)

ok, and ONE more :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OXUpH4dy2g
(translated it's "between trains")

OOOHHHH!!! I can also shoot, I'm actually rather good! we went target practising one day and I hit all the targets, including the empty coke can :) The boys were not amused :giggle:

marianneh
12-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Very cool Marianne, and very difficult it would seem!

On another note, I'm not sure if this counts as something I can do, but I'm very proud that I have acquired the skills of tolerance, acceptance, endurance and patience. And I have to say that I have learned these traits because of the challenges of 1. being married to a Japanese man, and 2. being a minority in this homogeneous society.

says she that can communicate in Japanese!!!!!! :thud:

I hear ya on the endurance and patience, it's not always the easiest thing living in a foreign country. I honestly don't know how you've done it for so long!!! Are you a citizen Holly? I'm asking, 'cause here in the UAE foreigners can't ever become citizens unless they marry a local. Not even Kaydin that was born here is a citizen, he's South African. It's a bit werid :)

Donna - not the best time of the year for me to be having this discussion, but ja, some days can be quite difficult!:wink:

Carly - LOL! :giggle: