PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this?

Laura_A
12-17-2005, 12:43 PM
I received this postcard thingy (not very professional looking) in the mail today. It addresses me by my 1st name and has the last 4 numbers of my credit card. It says that I ordered WinAntiVirus 2005 back in April and that their "bank and fraud verification process for the order has been completed". It says I will see a charge on my account that will show as "Virus SW" (which isn't the same as WinAntiVirus). It says "to check your order status, please visit www.virussw.com/order.php and enter your data:" (gives order # and my email address).

I pulled up the website (minus the 'order.php') and it just has a generic page that just asks for the order number and my email acct number. I tried calling the phone number but it's after business hours and the beginning of the voice message says, "You have reach the customer billing dept" (or something like that) but it doesn't say what company you're calling.

I don't remember ordering this anti virus thing, which isn't completely unheard of, but all of it together is a little weird to me. What do ya'll think? Have you ever heard of something like this? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

MarshaZepeda
12-17-2005, 01:25 PM
I would say to contact your bank/cc first b/c there are soooo many wierd things going on... I wouldn't enter ANY info into a website if you're even a LIL doubtful, kwim?

islandmom
12-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Red flags!!! It wouldn't be too difficult for someone to get all of that information from LOTS of places (receipts usually have the last four digits), but also spyware. I would contact your bank/cc company and see if there have been any charges and ask them if there is anything else you need to do to protect yourself.

sinead
12-17-2005, 06:12 PM
I never put my account info in for stuff like that. I'd wait until you can talk to a real person and see if this is for real.

anotheraddict
12-18-2005, 12:06 AM
no way no how would I give any info to anyone if I don't remember ordering. First I would check with the cc company to make sure there's no unusual charges....then I'd close that card and get a new # asap. I used to work for Bank One credit fraud division (I think they're Chase now???) anyway, there's too many ways people can get your info. Just my .02.

CraftTeaLady
12-18-2005, 04:06 AM
If you ordered something that was legit, they would call you, they would have correct contact information and they surely wouldn't use a postcard.

Sounds all too hoakie to be real.

Laura_A
12-18-2005, 05:12 AM
The worst part about this is that it's not actually a cc... it's the debit card to my checking acct. YIKES! I check the acct and sure enough, there was a charge for $39.95 from them. I called my bank and told them I thought it was unauthorized and fraudulant. The rep agreed that it all sounded too fishy and put a research request in for me. They 'temporarily' credited the money pending the outcome of the investigation. Keep your fingers crossed that nothing else happens with our acct. My husband is just beside himself as our finances and credit rating are VERY important in him keeping the security clearance needed for his job. It's gonna be a HUGE pain if we have to change our acct information. UGH!

Twinmom628
12-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Laura,

My H and I keep a separate account for online purchases. It's in both our names. We do not keep a lot of $$ in it. It's our paypal account and the account we use for our debit card. When we know we'll be doing shopping, we transfer $$ from our main account into it. This way, if anything happens it's not to our main account, they won't get a lot of money. Nothing else is tied to this account-- no direct deposit, no e-bill pay services.

It's a bit of a pain, but it gives us both some piece of mind.

beechyrb
04-02-2007, 05:37 PM
I got hit by the VirusSW fraud to, and I didn't even enter any information anywhere.
The amount they got was 79.90 I called them and told them I didn't order the product they said they would refund it, and they actually did. Their number is 1-800-755-5909
I had to go through all the legal procedures at the bank, and even filed a police report!! beechyrb:embaresse

Sara Ellis
04-02-2007, 06:21 PM
oh my gosh....this is toooooo weird and scary

I hope this all works out ok, Laura

scrappinmichele
04-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Try going to http://www.snopes.com and search for the name of the company (or any other info from the card) and see if anything comes up. Or google it. We got something wierd in the mail a few weeks back and it included a check....showed up on snopes as a fraud and they said to destroy it because it's illegal to even have a fraudulant check in your posession. Made me feel real good!

KimberlyGiarrusso
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Oh my gosh that is scary!

Priscilla
04-03-2007, 10:24 AM
What ever came of this?!?