PDA

View Full Version : Typepad vs. Blogger(Blogspot)?

Laura_A
12-18-2005, 07:46 AM
I have a typepad blog and have been really happy with it until I saw a few blogs (ie. Robin Carlton- yours rawks) hosted by blogspot and now I'm wondering if there's something better out there. So, for those of you who use one of these, can you post the pros and cons here for me so I can compare and decide if it's worth it for me to switch.

For you blogspot chicks, do you have to pay extra to customize your blog (ie, use pp for your background, etc)? I pay a monthly fee to be able to customize mine.

ScrapHappyME!
12-18-2005, 08:38 AM
I actually used to use Blogger and I really ended up disliking them... so I switch TO TypePad and I've always been happy. ;)

Then again, I'm not an HTML wizard or anything so if it wasn't set up in simple form to customize, I so was not about it! LOL

Rynonut Mom
12-18-2005, 09:42 AM
I have blogger and have customized it (for free) to my liking. I haven't changed the background (it's black) , but do change the header and have added links and such on the side. You can upload photos thru hello or thru blogger itself. I'm happy with it so far and I LOVE that it's free.
I've posted questions on how to when I couldn't figure something out and Robin and others helped me with the HTML for the links that I couldn't figure out.

Valgal
12-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Robin is a wiz at the HTML lingo, which is why her's is so super-fantastic. She can help you customize yours if you move over to Blogger. I'm very happy with Blogger myself. I'm sure I could figure out how to change my header, but I'd have to change templates and I'm pretty happy with mine.

hawaiianbrat96
12-18-2005, 05:49 PM
I have to say that I enjoy using Blogger.

I have learned the coding, and can't wait until have more time to engross myself!!

But I don't pay anything extra to customize.

I just had picked a snazzy set up, and customized it with my own stuff.

I just redid the template that was already available!

However, if you are unsure about HTML and what not, then sticking with stuff ike TypePad is the way to go!

SweetNSassyMommy
12-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Hey Laura...

I must have missed this post earlier, sorry I am so late to respond. I use blogspot and dont have to pay anything extra to customize. I DO have my own webhosting so that is the reason I can do some of the little extras but 95% of my blog is stuff anyone could do on their own blog free of charge if they had the know how.

Radio-Blog is bandwidth heavy and cant be done on free hosting for the most part. But most of the other stuff can be.

I LOVE blogger and I dont think I'll ever swtich, it has everything I need and want in a blog, BUT I will say that I have a pretty good knowledge of HTML and CSS (cascading style sheets) so that makes it a lot easier to change stuff up. If you decide to make the switch to blogger I can try to give you some tips on where you can make changes in your template to dress up your page. And if you have any specific questions on "How do you do that?" I'll do my best to help!

Robin

hawaiianbrat96
12-18-2005, 06:47 PM
I'd also like to add that it is even BETTER to use Blogger now that they have the Word Add-In where you can blog and publish right from MS Word!!

katef
12-18-2005, 10:17 PM
I am only new to blogging but I really like blogger. I am by no means a html wizz but everyone here has been super helpful with any questions and you sort of pick it up as you go along, so its been a good motivation to help me learn bits and pieces. But I guess the big winner for me is that it's free.

HTH

Kate

Audimc
12-18-2005, 11:28 PM
I use blogger and I like it. I use microsoft frontpage to help with the custom stuff, but then I just copy and paste into blogger. Plus it's FREE!!!

sweetmindy
12-19-2005, 02:36 AM
I like blogspot. robin my dear have help me a lot!!! Thank you girl!!! I love html, i don't really know much but i can learn. Robin you rawk. Thank you for my wonderful blog.

~Mindy~

pagebypaige
12-19-2005, 10:28 AM
I have used blogger for awhile now and I have learned how to customize it mostly by trial and error!! A while back Typepad had a free trial so I tried it out and I liked it as well but cancelled before my trial was up because blogger fits my needs and it's FREE!!!! (more money for me to buy digi kits!) I saw that so many people were using Typepad that I thought I was missing out on something.

I have my blog that is in my signature and then I have this one (http://www.camandhan.blogspot.com)inwhich I post pics of the kids on (speaking of which I really need to update it!). This was something I found online and paid $10 for the rights to use it. I had a friend help me get it uploaded to blogger. Since then I have spent alot of time figuring it all out so I can do my own.

hawaiianbrat96
12-19-2005, 06:54 PM
I use blogger and I like it. I use microsoft frontpage to help with the custom stuff, but then I just copy and paste into blogger. Plus it's FREE!!!

You can do that?!?!

Holy!

Gotta dig mine out them and start doing that!

MariKoegelenberg
12-20-2005, 03:42 AM
You can do a google search for blogger templates and there is loads of them, then in Frontpage you can customize it too suit your needs.

I am no pro on html or css but I at least could change the background color and insert a header and that is enough for me! Lol, I am very html challenged!

chibikko
12-20-2005, 07:09 PM
I love blogger too and have used it for a while. The only drawback is if you want your blog entries to be categorized, Blogger doesn't have that feature *yet*. Other than that, Blogger is the best. It doesn't have those banner ads on your blog, just one small Blogger bar on the heading that could be customized to match the color of your blog template. Tons of free blog-templates out there too, and best of all it's free!

DaEgger
01-05-2006, 03:12 AM
I have a typepad blog and have been really happy with it until I saw a few blogs (ie. Robin Carlton- yours rawks) hosted by blogspot and now I'm wondering if there's something better out there. So, for those of you who use one of these, can you post the pros and cons here for me so I can compare and decide if it's worth it for me to switch.

For you blogspot chicks, do you have to pay extra to customize your blog (ie, use pp for your background, etc)? I pay a monthly fee to be able to customize mine.

I use word-press but I hear type-pad is easier to customize.

Oh when you said rawks, did you mean rocks? I didn't know if it was spelled wrong or if I don't know the slang.

I really love all your blogs too!

AmyJo
01-05-2006, 04:56 AM
Okay, I have a blogspot and use the bloggerbot in hello - it's my fave blog...
but it's not customized and all of my like archives links etc...are at the bottom...
i didn't even realize typepad cost money
and didn't i see someone with their very own blog on their very own site?? i swear i did...

anyhow, bottom line is ROBIN PLEASE HELP ME FIX MY THINGS THAT ARE AT THE BOTTOM - I have basic HTML knowledge...but have actually never even looked at the template, and I use CoffeeCup

i mean, a customized blog with links and lists and cool stuff, that would be fantastic - but golly - i'd have to quit playing zuma to do it :)

hawaiianbrat96
01-05-2006, 11:11 AM
I love my Blogger. I use Hello, too, AmyJo.

Have you seen the new Add-In for MS Word? AWESOME!! You can use more fonts by using that add-in, and you can publish right from Word, as long as you are connected to the Internet. Or save, and publish another day!!

I customized my Blogger myself!! You can check mine out by clicking on the "Kar's Blog" button below.

lbth-mi
01-09-2006, 10:26 AM
I just started using Blogspot (blogger) and I like it so far. I had no trouble tayloring it to my liking. I think the thing I like best about it is FREE :)

hawaiianbrat96
01-10-2006, 01:03 AM
I just started using Blogspot (blogger) and I like it so far. I had no trouble tayloring it to my liking. I think the thing I like best about it is FREE :)

Amen to that!

I was going to load up WordPress onto my own site, and then thought - Why should I use my own server's space when someone else offers it for free??