PDA

View Full Version : one lens...

Charla
10-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Don't you all wish I hadn't convinced Nicole to get rid of the photography forum?? Then all of the people who don't care about cameras (or at least don't talk about them as much as I do :giggle:) wouldn't have to look through all these posts in Chicky Chat ;)

anyways.

For people who own SLR cameras or like to talk about them ....

If you could only have ONE lens, what would it be?

How about if you had two?

(I'm talking about using these for "normal" things of a stay-at-home mom. Lots of pictures of the kids and some outdoor shots)

AND...

If you had a good camera that was starting to show signs of age, would you think it was more important to replace the camera, or to get a good, reliable, everyday lens???

sinead
10-29-2010, 12:51 PM
depends on what you mean by "signs of age"...do you think it's going to just up and stop working on you? If so, then that would be my priority.

Charla
10-29-2010, 01:42 PM
No, I don't think so. It's getting touchy about recognizing my memory card, but dad gave me a suggestion for getting that to work better.
The biggest frustration is ISO. In the dark, gloomy winters I get and without studio lighting, it gets really frustrating that I can't really go over 200 ISO (400 absolute max) and even then sometimes need to use noise-reduction software on the pictures. I think I could make that problem go away if I got the D7000, though I'm not sure *how* much.

sinead
10-29-2010, 06:34 PM
are you using full on manual or are you using Aperature or Priority mode? Before you purchase a new camera in an attempt to remedy the problem, I'd look into renting the camera body that you want to purchase. That way you can try it out and see how it works in the lighting at home. It wouldn't make sense to go to the expense if it's not going to fix the problem, you know?

Charla
10-29-2010, 06:39 PM
that's a really good point. Of course, the D7000 is very much on backorder right now, so I doubt I can rent it anytime soon :)