PDA

View Full Version : dpi???

chloe
01-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi! (and happy new year, by the way!)

I'm just beginning digiscrap and I'm having trouble with the concept of dpi. I'v read in the FAQ's that our layout should be in 72 dpi, but I don't know how to check it and eventually change it on my layouts...:Not_Impre Is it the same thing as "pixel per inch"? Do I have to modify it when I save my layouts? I'm using PSP9, and I couldn't figure it out.:17:

Thanks for your advice!!

Chloe

Valgal
01-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Yes, dpi is the same as pixels per inch... it stands for 'dots per inch'. If you ever intend to print your layouts they really need to be created at 300 dpi. If you read somewhere that they need to be 72 dpi. it was probably referring to posting them in our gallery. All you do is resize your original layout and save it as a save it seperately (so you'll still have your original, and the resized one).

Digi Kitty
01-07-2006, 12:08 PM
For posting LOs in the gallery, this is what I do (I work in Photoshop CS, so there might be a few differences)-

1. Create my LO at 300 dpi (you can check the dpi by going to "image", then "image size"). Save the original as a Photoshop psd file.

2. Flatten my LO ("Layer", "flatten image"). Go to "Image", "Image Size" and change my LO to 500x500 pixels. Go to "File", "Save for web" and save the image as a jpeg file at LESS than 100K (can't be 100K exactly).

Then you're ready to post your smaller LO in the gallery (without loosing tons of resolution by manually changing your LO to 72 dpi). So like Val said, you'll end up with two copies of your LO. Hope this helps! :)

chloe
01-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks, Val and Theresa, it helps me a lot... Now I'm ready to post all my gorgeous ;-) pages in the gallery. Thanks again!