PDA

View Full Version : What have I done?

noralong
01-15-2006, 12:43 AM
I have issues with scrapbooking kits. Yep, your read right. My problem is that I am very fussy about documentation (I think that came from doing genealogy!). No info on the artist, read me filr, or thumb nail? It's history. When I buy a kit, I label the folder first with the name of the artist, then the name of the kit. Then, I personalize the folder with a thumbnail of the contents. O.K., good so far.

Now, I still have waayyy too many kits. I purchased an external HD, and it is full. And, even though most of it is already backed up on CD, I decided that I needed to do two more things. Seperate the kits by both content and artist. Then, back up all those files onto DVD.

Am I insane? Now I have files all over the place, and nothing makes any sense anymore! Well, at least as far as my digital files. Will I seriousely use these DVDs? To further complicate things, I have sub folders marked YUK. I know! What's that about? I don't like parts of the files, so I sub divide them? ARRGH! As long as I am in it up to me knees, I am going to go a head and get rid of everything I don't love! Oh, Flylady would be proud of me, doing a 27 fling boogie on my computer!

Pleeeaase tell me I am not the only one who goes through this!

Lynn
01-15-2006, 04:09 AM
Well, you have my sympathy. I have nearly all my kits on disk now but even so my poor laptop is groaning. When I'm doing a layout or designing paper my poor laptop is groaning often I can't even save my work until I have deleted something else off the drive. Serious upgrade needed! My 12 year old told me yesterday that when Bill Gates launched the first version of DOS he said "640 KBs (total disk space) should be enough for anybody on a home computer". LOL!!!

Laura_A
01-15-2006, 04:32 AM
I SO need to go through my files! I have stuff on my external that's been there for nearly 2 years... now I KNOW I'll never use those. LOL

Purge Nora, purge! It's only going to get worse! wink wink

Charla
01-15-2006, 09:46 AM
lol about FLYlady being proud of you.
i'm right there with you, so I just don't use kits! I've been making everything from scratch, mostly because I'm worried I won't be able to say where I found things from!!

Hope you find something that works!

Rynonut Mom
01-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Purge - Purge!!!
I have a folder for each site and then within that site I have a designer folder. Within that folder I have each kit named and a thumbnail on the cover. Inside that folder I have everything other than the alphas (they stay in their own folder) loose. I find it easier to see and find what I want that way.
But I still have ALOT of stuff!!! And none - yes I said none - is backed up. I'm living in fear of computer failure. I have Christmas money to buy DVD burner, but haven't gotten one yet. Have to go check the Best Buy flyer this morning...
I have a CD burner, but not enough patience to use it to back up everything! LOL!
I very occasionally purge something that I know I won't ever use. But I'm so bad about thinking I might need something later on! LOL!

Hom74
01-15-2006, 01:37 PM
LOL! 650 kb...that won't get us anywhere! Remember those floppy disk. You can put a meg of stuff on that ;)

my laptop's pretty lame too. I think I only have about 12G to work w/ and I'm usually around the 2G range. My PSCS2 works S-L-O-W w/that! I don't keep too many kits on my laptop and it's a pain to look through my DVDs.

I'm already planning for my Christmas gift for 2006 :) It's just gonna have to be a new, fast laptop w/LOTS of memory!!!

Well, you have my sympathy. I have nearly all my kits on disk now but even so my poor laptop is groaning. When I'm doing a layout or designing paper my poor laptop is groaning often I can't even save my work until I have deleted something else off the drive. Serious upgrade needed! My 12 year old told me yesterday that when Bill Gates launched the first version of DOS he said "640 KBs (total disk space) should be enough for anybody on a home computer". LOL!!!

suzy
01-15-2006, 07:04 PM
I am right there with you Nora!!! I am an archivist (well, I was before I became a mother), so I am into arranging, describing, classifying and cataloguing EVERYTHING!!!!! I arrange all my kits on cd's or dvd's by designer and then describe the contents of each cd/dvd using the organiser in PSE3 -- I catalogue them by designer as well a clasifying them by element type. It is a sickness I tell you!!! LOL!

katef
01-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Oh you are a better woman than I am... at least you are trying to organise your files!

I have only JUST got all the photos from the last three years backed up on to DVD... and that was hard enough so there is no way I am tackling all my scrapping stuff till I am over that shock!

Good luck!

Kate

jplaw55746
01-16-2006, 12:48 AM
You could make a contact file for each folder of old stuff, then make a contact sheet, then burn the old stuff onto a DVD and put the contact sheet with the DVD and file it away...then make a folder with all the contact sheets, and just look thru the contacts sheets when you want to use something really different

AmyJo
01-16-2006, 01:31 AM
ahhhh man, y'all just make me sick - lol

i have one folder called scrapkits - on my H drive (160 gigs)
in that folder there's a folder for each designer who's stuff i have - except jen wilson - and she has her own folder outside of the scrapkits folder because it's gimungous and has tons of folders for each collection and then each of those kits and pieces in those folders

i actually delete everything from a kit that i feel li will NEVER use - when i get it. and periodically when i have pms just for good measure.

about twice annually, i go through and scrap through the folders, everything that i have never used...

and back up? why bother, i can't find my stack of important backed up info that's already on dvds, why would i back up digi scrap? lol :)

i know, i am SO disorganized. shhhh - don't tell my new boss Laura. she'll fire me.

noralong
01-16-2006, 03:50 AM
Oh AmyJo, I wish I could let go! But I think, I might need that... Argh, I am a slave to my hard drive!

Suzy, I totally understand! All the drawers in my craft/storage room are labeled. I love file folders, I just got some beautiful floral ones. So now I want to re-organize my paper clutter, too! You are right! It's a sickness!