PDA

View Full Version : Need good job vibes/thoughts...

rh_scrapbooker
01-18-2006, 05:55 PM
I am currently a contractor in my field (technical writing). I have submitted resumes for several jobs (permanent and contract) in the last couple weeks, and I got a heads up from someone I know at one company that I should be expecting a phone call in the next 2 days from HR.

The good news is that it is a permanent position with benefits (very important to me, having been without them several times in the last 3 years).

The bad news is that I sometimes interview badly. Cheeks flushed, deer in the headlights look, etcetera. In all honesty, I've only interviewed 6 times in my career field (I got 5 out of those 6 jobs) - so it's a confidence thing.

Please, could I get some positive vibes and thoughts for me in the coming week? I love contracting, but I hate the uncertainty. I really want this job. My current contract position is over by February 28th (sooner if I get this job - the manager understands my situation).

Rachel

Valgal
01-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Oh no... not the deer in the headlights! LOL! I'm sure you'll do fine... when you know what you want, it's easier to be confident about getting it.

My dh likes to try to make the interviewer laugh (risky business if you ask me). One time he was asked, "What did you do to prepare for this interview?" He lifted up his tie and said, "I bought this tie." LMAO! My guy is so weird sometimes.

Good luck!

MarshaZepeda
01-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Oh girl.... I so know what you are talking about! I HATE interviews! lol! I know that I am capable of the work but BOMB the interview.... Sending good vibes.... let us know what happens!

abbysmommy
01-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Good luck! Keep this in mind. Coming from a manager of people, leading the interview can be JUST as bad sometimes. Remember, we are people, too. LOL!

KimMauch
01-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Good luck, Rachel. I used to interview people a lot for open positions in our department. Go in with full confidence in your abilities, dress well, and ask questions - you will do fine. I'm sending you good vibes.

Kim

ChristineS
01-18-2006, 09:35 PM
hey Rachel, I'm praying for you RIGHT NOW. I hope it turns out very well for you -- be sure give us an update, huh? :)

DigiBethy
01-18-2006, 10:02 PM
What's always helped me (I've been the same way in interviews) is to go in with the attitude that it isn't the end-all-be-all if it doesn't work. I know that's hard in your position of needing a job with bennys, but be confident in your experience and know the world won't stop if you don't get it. It'll suck if it doesn't work. But you'll move on and get something else.

Go in knowing that. I know when I feel something bombing, I get more nervous and more desperate and look even more stupid. If I'm bombing but I realize that, in the end, I'll still be ok, I can bounce back a little.

My favorite quote right now is: "Everything will be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end."

It's all in the attitude girl.
You can do it!

Angela
01-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Many good job vibes comin' your way!!!!

{{HUGS}}

Rynonut Mom
01-18-2006, 10:39 PM
You can do it, Rachel!
I'll be thinking of you!

InLoveWithDOTS
01-20-2006, 01:55 PM
I have been thinking of you... did you get the call?

rh_scrapbooker
01-20-2006, 02:52 PM
I should get the call by the end of today. I'm not stressing too much - it's better than not knowing if I'm going to get one.

Rachel

rh_scrapbooker
01-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Got the call for the interview! :)

Rachel

abbysmommy
01-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Yay! When is it? I need to know when to send out my strongest "good luck" vibes. :)

Laura_A
01-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Oh YAY Rachael! Now, during the interview, just think of all us chicks who believe in you! I know you can do it!

rh_scrapbooker
01-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Well, the HR person and I finally connected over the phone at lunch today. I don't have a firm date/time set for the interview, but I will know tomorrow. It will be on Monday 1/30, Tuesday 1/31, or Wednesday 2/1. Sounds like she had six candidates (including me) to schedule, so that's the reason for the uncommitted date.

Yes, in case you are wondering, it *does* take forever to get a permanent job in this town in the high tech industry. I submitted my resume on 12/9, the opening was accepting resumes until 12/31, follow up questionnaires were sent and received by 1/9, and it took them until 1/20 to contact the lucky candidates.

Good thing I'm still on this contract - because this could take forever by the time they decide! :)

Rachel

Laura_A
01-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Yeesh, sounds so stressful. We're rootin' for you!

Angela
01-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Good luck, girlie!!!

carolbaryl
01-23-2006, 07:42 PM
You so have this! They only pulled in 6 people for the interview... that means they already have faith in your abilities. You totally have this in the bag! I'll send you good vibes, but you don't need them, you've already got it!