PDA

View Full Version : am new & need help

partyofsix
01-21-2006, 02:17 PM
First of all I don't know what a thread is. So forgive me if I'm in the wrong place :) .

I downloaded some free things to see if I am able to scrapbook digitally or not, but I can't find what I have downloaded.

Secondly, I downloaded a VERY pretty free "brush", but I don't know what "brush "means in scrapbook lingo!

Thanks, Kate

chloe
01-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi Kate!

I'm quite new at digi scrapping, so I hope I won't tell too many stupid things, but I'll try to help you anyway!

A thread is a "forum in the forum" about a specific subject. You should actually have posted your new thread in the "Ask for assistance/FAQs" section, but nevermind. You can see all sections by clicking on the "forums" link on top of the page, then choose your section and read the threads or create a new one.

Concerning the downloading of freebies, you usually have to choose (when you click on the downloading link) if you want to open the file or save it on disk. If you open it, you then have to save it on your file. Freebies are usually .zip files, which means that they are compressed to take less space. You then have to use winzip to uncompress the file and save it in your disk. If you directly save the file when downloading, try to check your desktop or your documents, and if you can't find it there, try to search it with windows explorer. Of course, all of this only work with a PC, not with a Mac.....

Hope this help you, and don't hesitate to ask!

noralong
01-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey Kate, don't worry, most of us have had to pick stuff up bit by bit, too! If you go a couple of sections down in the forums, there are folders that are specific to different editing programs. For instance, if you use Photo Shop Elements (or PSE) you can go to that folder and see all the threads started there about that program. Usually I can find the answer I need by reading through those. Give that a go!

Far as brushes, I am new to using those, and I use them in photoshop elements, but I think they are also used in other programs, too. Often the brush file will come with a .png file (that is pronounced "ping" by the way) that can be used in any program like anyother graphic file.

Mom2fur
02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
I've been downloading stuff for a while now, and I can't tell you how many times I forget where I put something. (I download into various categories as opposed to one big folder.) So here is what I do. The next time I download something, I take note of where the file is going. You'll see a box and a line that says something like "Save In" and next to it there will be the name of a file. Chances are, this is the file where you saved your last item, as well.

Another way to find things, although it might take longer, is to hit the 'start' button on the bottom of your computer, then 'search.' You would want to search for *.zip, which will bring up all your zip files.

May I suggest you create a new file to store all your scrapping downloads? That might make it easier to find them. BTW, if you don't know how to do that...right click anywhere on your computer's opening screen (the one with all the icons--I really don't know what that's called. I think it's "Desktop.") You'll see a box drop down with "Arrange Icons By" on top. A little way down you'll see "New." Click on this and another box will drop down. Just click on folder and give it a name.

I hope this helps you! :)Mom2fur