PDA

View Full Version : OLW- what did you do today?

amanda heimann
01-01-2012, 12:36 PM
So it is the beginning of a new year! How is that one little word working out for you? :lol:

My word is CLEAN. So far I have unsubscribed from blogs I am no longer interested in, cleaned out my inbox and will be cleaning out my facebook friends list soon. Also on the agenda is to backup, clean, add ram and do a restore on my imac.

What have you done to incorporate your word into the new year?

ayaandjudah
01-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm still undecided about my OLW but I think it will be "live". And today, I went out for breakfast with my family instead of hiding at home.

Baby steps, eh?

cardinalskate
01-01-2012, 12:47 PM
My word is ACTION. So far, we've cleaned the house getting ready for company this afternoon, had a sit-down breakfast with my family and left love in galleries when I upload to galleries. Like Alisa said, baby steps!

Lena Gardner
01-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Mine is begin. My to-do list today is overwhelming, and I'm exhausted. Instead of taking a nap (which is what I want to do), I delved into the list!

chloe
01-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Mine is RESPECT, and for January I'll focus on respecting my body. My resolutions are:

exercise at least 10 minutes every day (walk, video workout, stretching) I'll do some stretching before going to bed.
eat at least 2 portions of fruits and 1 of veggies daily veggies and one portion of fruits done,
get at least 7 hours of sleep every night failed... but I'll get to bed before 10 PM tonight!
eat mindfully and slowly, put down my fork between bites, don't do anything else while eating DONE
moisturize my body daily will do it before putting on my PJs!

Starting slowly, but I gotta start somewhere, right?

sinead
01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Mine is "Enjoy". I really wanted to enjoy making a title page of my album today, but instead I'm trying to enjoy my family instead. Trying. THey're bickering and not the most fun to hang with at the moment, but we're all trying. lol

azrood
01-01-2012, 06:02 PM
I am so impressed and inspired by each of you! I haven't decided on a word yet, but considering how my day is going.....I think I would have to go with "survive." And so far, I'm succeeding. :giggle:

donnawells
01-01-2012, 06:39 PM
My word is release, which mostly applies to letting go of worries and relaxing and enjoying the present time. I think I've done that today....so far. Haaa

mrsaboyer
01-01-2012, 06:44 PM
My word is less, and today I downloaded some templates and got a rudimentary start on documenting the definitions and my intentions, etc. What I DIDN'T do was stress less, which is too bad since my whole family is here and I should have enjoyed it more. Oh well. Here's to tomorrow!

cardinalskate
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I posted on my blog today, too which was one of my ACTION goals. Oh, and I blogged about my OLW.:wink:

ccouch
01-01-2012, 08:51 PM
My word is now. Instead of napping today, I dusted and rearranged the living room, rotating some decor. Felt great & made such a difference.

Trista
01-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I would like to be working on updating my blog, but instead have been trying to enjoy a somewhat grumpy family today. ;)

...but instead I'm trying to enjoy my family instead. Trying. THey're bickering and not the most fun to hang with at the moment, but we're all trying. lol

Ramona
01-01-2012, 09:02 PM
My word is focus! I need to come up with a plan to do that every day, but so far, I started off with church and spent time playing with my kiddos, so I think that is a fair start!

wishingwellcreations
01-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Mine for 2012 is "simplify" -- and my focus throughout the year is going to be on (1) ending the year with less "stuff" than we begin the year with (in our house... in my inbox... everywhere!); and (2) finding easier ways to do things, making things quicker and easier.

Today, I made a pile of things that need to leave the house. Boxes from Christmas gifts/new toys/etc... bows and gift bags that in previous years we would have kept and re-used (maybe?)... etc. The pile is going in the garbage and/or recycling bin tomorrow. Yay! I also started making a list of all of our favorite meals, so that I can compile a "meal plan" (similar to what our favorite Domestic Goddess Lena did a month or two ago (http://www.thedigichick.com/forums/showthread.php?35660-I-made-a-menu!-%28hold-the-applause-LOL%29), but probably not as cute or comprehensive! ha).

hollyinjapan
01-02-2012, 12:49 AM
I've done pretty good with my word so far. My word is MOVE. In the past, if I'm on the computer and someone needed me (even as in mom, I can't find my sock) my first response has been "Be there in a minute." But ever since I finally decided my word, if someone calls me I hear a voice in my head (like a gentle drill sergeant) saying "MOVE." So I do. When I know there is a task or chore waiting to get done, I say Move! So far so good!

nicoleseitler
01-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Mine is NOW and in the middle of all my busyness today, I stopped to take a picture and watch my husband and son playing Legos.

Pause. Breathe. Okay... back to work! :spin:

ShabbyShaz
01-02-2012, 02:54 AM
Mine is Move.

I did a blog post about it on the 1st - MOVE INTO 2012 (http://www.lavieenchic.com/2012/01/01/move-into-2012/)

And I went for a nice fast walk last nigth. Just one of the ways I plan to Move.

inkspots
01-02-2012, 03:42 AM
Mine is patience. I came home today and lost something almost immediately. As I was starting to get really irritated trying to find it, I reminded myself to just be patient and do something else. It's not that big of a deal, it'll turn up eventually. There was no reason to get worked up about it.

cardinalskate
01-02-2012, 09:58 AM
In the past, if I'm on the computer and someone needed me (even as in mom, I can't find my sock) my first response has been "Be there in a minute." But ever since I finally decided my word, if someone calls me I hear a voice in my head (like a gentle drill sergeant) saying "MOVE." So I do. When I know there is a task or chore waiting to get done, I say Move! So far so good!

OH my, this is so me. I'm going to do that, too, Holly. I hadn't even really thought of this.

wildblueeyez
01-02-2012, 12:05 PM
My OLW is ME! I thought about what goals I'd like to work towards - I like the phrase of working towards so that it lessens the pressure of being perfect and makes the goals more achievable because any little thing I do is working toward the goal. now that I've set some goals, I need to enter them into my journal.

jomi
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I am still not 100% sure but so far I think commit or commitment will be my OLW for 2012. I want to make the commitment to myself this year to take good care of me in every possible way.

2012 will be the year I need to learn to deal with Sjogren and everything that will go with me on that journey like my work, things I need to let go of ect. I want to commit myself to losing weight and getting as healthy as possible so my body will have a better change to fight the Sjogren Syndrome.
I want to commit myself to be gentle for myself and not putting myself down. I want to commit myself to make time to do art. I want to commit myself to making my house as cozy as I want it to be.

These things make me happy and I want to commit myself to happiness.

ccouch
01-03-2012, 01:39 AM
We went out to dinner tonight & I made good choices with "NOW" in mind. Sometimes I tell myself that this meal or this outing won't really matter. Like it won't be a huge deal if I eat the really fattening dish cause I can always make better choices the next meal - or I'll tell myself that one choice didn't get me here, one choice won't ruin me. (Not that I am against splurging, mind you.) But, it seemed that there was always this putting off of making good choices. Does that make any sense?

Tonight, I lived in the NOW and I chose one of the "under 600 calorie" meals at Macaroni Grill. It wasn't what I wanted. I really wanted the Lobster Ravioli with Chardonnay Cream Sauce. But, my meal was delicious, healthy, very flavorful, and guilt-free. Here, here!! And, we passed on dessert, came home and did a little Wii dancing with the girls!

Nathalie
01-03-2012, 03:04 AM
I am working on a project to help me organise my life. It is not as easy as I thought, lol. But I want it to be helpful and not creating more work for me, so a lot of time goes into planning.

dailydwelling
01-03-2012, 08:36 AM
My OLW is enjoy and yesterday morning I walked on the treadmill and I actually enjoyed it!!! I think I'm going to make some kind of inspiration print to put on the wall (actually freezer door) in front of the treadmill. It felt as if really focusing on that helped me.

I'm going to be blogging about my OLW every Wednesday. Here's a button I made to go up on my blog posts.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/monandrews/OLWwed_200.jpg

cardinalskate
01-03-2012, 09:00 AM
That's a great idea to blog about it once a week, Monica! Probably gonna steal that idea ;)

wishingwellcreations
01-03-2012, 10:03 AM
OK, on day two I did something AMAZING. Trust me, it will seem like a small/inconsequential thing... but for me, it's HUGE.

Reminder: my word is "simplify" (with the goal being to make things I do in life quicker/easier... and also to end the year w/ less stuff than we start it with).

Soo... today I realized that b/c I am so behind w/ my to-do list, I hadn't yet made/sent the invitations to my almost-4-yr-old's birthday party, which is in 2wks (!) :blink: I am normally a stickler for making invites for each kid's birthday each year, and tailoring them to that kid's likes/dislikes at the time... and they're always gorgeous (if I do say so) and full of hybrid-y goodness and vellum and ribbon and... *sigh* ...so much fun...

BUT... not so much fun if they stress me out, and yesterday... I... *DRUMROLL* ...went to Target and bought "Cars" invites and filled out the sad little pre-printed lines on the inside and put them in the mail. It took 1/5 the time it normally would have taken me to do invites (maybe even 1/10!). And they're nothing to be proud of... except for the fact that I am proud I allowed myself to do it. SIMPLIFY! RAWR!

:grin:

dailydwelling
01-03-2012, 10:10 AM
:stars: Yay for you!!!! :stars:

cardinalskate
01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
That's awesome, Laura! RAWR!!

Unica
01-03-2012, 11:31 AM
My word is DO
So far I have "DONE"
1. handmade cookies in a jar
2. I am working with Alissa to get her business project off the ground
3. I have sketched out some business ideas I've had and started putting some of it into practice (this is a slow moving one, but I am making progress)
4. Cleaned the girls project drawers

(these are all things that I'd normally would have keep on postponing - that's the goal, get the things I'd normally NOT do, done.)

Unica
01-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Good for you Laura!

ccouch
01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
That's awesome, Laura! I sometimes wonder about the time/thought/expense that I put into the girls' parties, including invitations. They don't *really* care. They're cute and they enjoy them, but it's not a huge deal. The guests are little kids. Seriously. They're just as excited about the pre-printed cartoon-y invite. Kudos to you for choosing a simple route!

chloe
01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Great job everyone! I love seeing everyone working on their OLW!

mrsaboyer
01-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Everybody is kicking butt! My word is less, and I have mostly been working on the prompts, etc for the class. But today one thing I did was that instead of making the whole wheat lasagna I was going to make for the family for dinner, I bought frozen pizzas. This might seem like a big step BACKWARDS on getting healthier, but I'm not eating the pizza, I'm having leftovers. Baking pizza is much easier than making a lasagna, and I was sleepy/feeling overwhelmed so I simplified, did LESS work, and bought frozen pizzas.

Chel
01-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Awesome job ladies!!

One OLW was Letting Go. And for me I did that today. We are out playing and instead of jumping right in when Nik started to get into a little pushing match I let it go for just a moment to see if the kids could work it out. And they did!! Nik moved over a little and other kid did too. I normally would have jumped in right away but I am really trying to Let Go and let him live a little more. It just scares me because I never know when he might totally meltdown but if I keep jumping in then he will never learn. Anyway I am rambling!

Cluster Queen
01-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Chel, I am proud of you. That is all.

wishingwellcreations
01-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Awesome job ladies!!

One OLW was Letting Go. And for me I did that today. We are out playing and instead of jumping right in when Nik started to get into a little pushing match I let it go for just a moment to see if the kids could work it out. And they did!! Nik moved over a little and other kid did too. I normally would have jumped in right away but I am really trying to Let Go and let him live a little more. It just scares me because I never know when he might totally meltdown but if I keep jumping in then he will never learn. Anyway I am rambling!

Aw man, this is so hard. You did good! It's something I have been working on lately, too... not always jumping in and solving my kids' issues/arguments over toys/etc. :)

ShabbyShaz
01-04-2012, 01:06 AM
I am working on a project to help me organise my life. It is not as easy as I thought, lol. But I want it to be helpful and not creating more work for me, so a lot of time goes into planning.

I am in the planning stage also - but trying to impliment at the same time. WHich was doing my head in!! So I have chosen two things. I will Move into moving, and Move into order this month. The rest can wait (or be planned..lol).

Seems like everyone is really focusing on making their words work for them. Yay!!

ShabbyShaz
01-04-2012, 01:07 AM
My OLW is enjoy and yesterday morning I walked on the treadmill and I actually enjoyed it!!! I think I'm going to make some kind of inspiration print to put on the wall (actually freezer door) in front of the treadmill. It felt as if really focusing on that helped me.

I'm going to be blogging about my OLW every Wednesday. Here's a button I made to go up on my blog posts.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/monandrews/OLWwed_200.jpg

I am doing the same - started last Monday and mine are called - guess :teehee: Move Monday.

I like your idea of a blog button - may I borrow it and make my own?

sjdahlblom
01-04-2012, 06:47 AM
I have been thinking about picking a word for 2012, and the thought was daunting. How do you pick a word in january that will work through december? And then it came to me. CHANGE!
This year there are many things that's going to change. My workout-habit is going to change as my friends were so great in giving me 10 hrs with a personal trainer for my birthday. My food-habit is definitely going to change, it's not working as it is. My planning is going to change. I'm going to change my working-situation (as in being unemployed when going off maternity-leave is not an option).

This is my year! :D

chloe
01-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Love it, girls.

Sara, change is the only permanent thing, right? Good pick!

sjdahlblom
01-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Sara, change is the only permanent thing, right? Good pick!
Yup! Thanks! :D