PDA

View Full Version : So angry

mhreen08
01-06-2012, 10:30 PM
So we took our son,Owen, to the doctor today for a follow up. This is the second time we've seen his new pediatrician. When my husband took him for a check-up 8 weeks ago, he expressed our mild concern that Owen had gained a little extra weight. She gave us some recommendations (must of which we were already doing). At that appointment, she suggested putting him on stimulants to help him lose weight. Did I mention he's FIVE? Flash forward to today's appointment. He's gone down almost 2 numbers on BMI, which wasn't actually high to begin with and he's lost some weight. During the appointment, the doctor patted his stomach and referred to him as obese(in my child's presence). My husband asked her to use another word, because he felt that word had such a negative meaning, she refused and used it again. What the heck? He's a five year old! He fits into the appropriate clothing size for his age. If you look in my gallery, you can see that he looks like a normal, healthy 5 year old. I know that childhood weight is a big issue, but do we really need to give our children body/self esteem issues at this age.

ccouch
01-06-2012, 10:44 PM
That's just terrible! So sorry you guys had to go through that :(
Time to look for a new pediatrician! If it helps any, I have *always* had better luck with family practitioners. When we interviewed potential pediatricians, they seemed to want to freak out about every single little thing whereas our family practitioners could treat the whole family and were much more laid back. Hope you find a provider that suits you better. ((hugs))

donnawells
01-06-2012, 10:56 PM
That is CRAZY! I just went and looked at your gallery and YES...he looks like a normal little boy. Sheesh! I say time to go looking for a pediatrician again. I'm sorry that happened.

Pamie
01-06-2012, 10:58 PM
I had the same type of situation with my now-5 year old last year. We saw one of the peds in our practice (not my favorite one) and she said his BMI was high. I honestly couldn't believe it. This year, when we saw a different ped in the practice, he acted like DH was crazy for bringing it up. So even within the practice, the doctors all have different ideas as to what's right. (And FTR, we won't be seeing that first doctor anymore unless it's an emergency.) Find a ped you trust!

juliesouthern
01-06-2012, 11:22 PM
After DH's little episode this fall, I have decided that many doctors and surgeons have lost touch with reality.

EliseH
01-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Ugh, that is sad! Stimulants, seriously? That seems really extreme to me. She clearly lacks sensitivity as well. I'd say get a new doctor right away!

dawnfarias
01-06-2012, 11:50 PM
I am so mad about this! Change doctors. I'm serious. And I never give people such strong advice. This really pisses me off. And I never say pisses me off.

I'm going to be fuming about this until I fall asleep.

Stupid doctor.

STIMULANTS???!?!

chloe
01-07-2012, 01:28 AM
She's the one that should be taking meds, if get-your-brain-working-and-get-some-heart-as-well meds would exist. I agree with everyone, change doctors! What a jerk!

inkspots
01-07-2012, 01:32 AM
You mentioned you're military, are you at a clinic? Can you file a complaint? I too would refuse to see that doctor in the future. Good luck.

wishingwellcreations
01-07-2012, 07:51 AM
I am so mad about this! Change doctors. I'm serious. And I never give people such strong advice. This really pisses me off. And I never say pisses me off.

Stupid doctor.

STIMULANTS???!?!

This. Same thing from me, but Dawn already typed it. Wow.

ShabbyShaz
01-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Golly - I would be making a change - Pronto!!

wildblueeyez
01-07-2012, 10:15 AM
There are just some people who just shouldn't be in the medical field.... and esp. if dealing with kids! Oh, you can bet I'd be fuming and would have let that doc have it right then and there.

How about some parents of your son's classmates for recommendations on a new Peds. doc/family practitioner?

cardinalskate
01-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Stupid doctor.

STIMULANTS???!?!

This. Totally this. I mean stimulants?! For a five-year-old?! Go with your gut, Michelle! You knew she was outta her mind when she suggested stimulants. You have a right to be upset and a DEFINITE right to never see that ped again (and complain)!

michellebatton
01-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Grr - I agree with what everyone else has said. Time for a new Dr. I'm with Christine about seeing a family practitioner - that's what we do and have had good luck with that as then they know your whole family.

Kind of reminds me of the quack pediatric dentist that my kids first went to. We pulled from that practice after the lady wanted to pull EIGHT teeth from my then 3.5 year old and I think three from my 5 year old. We took them to a regular dentist (not pediatric) at another practice and the new dentist said that he couldn't even see any cavities in any of the teeth and no way would he recommend pulling any of them.

What is wrong with some of these people. These are kids we're talking about. You don't tell them you want to pull eight of their teeth out...or in your case tell them they are obese (sheesh, I looked at your gallery too and I wouldn't even call him husky - let alone obese. Poor kid!)

mrsaboyer
01-07-2012, 02:41 PM
You mentioned you're military, are you at a clinic? Can you file a complaint? I too would refuse to see that doctor in the future. Good luck.
Yes, this. Wow. I am aghast!

mhreen08
01-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone for what you wrote. As a parent, I worry so much about doing the right thing and it was so nice to get all of your wonderful support.

hollyinjapan
01-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Stupid doctor.
STIMULANTS???!?!
:agree:
Really stoooopid. That sweet little boy on your pages is no where near obese. I would be changing pediatricians too. :bam:Nothing really new to add, just offering my support too. Gosh!

vivie
01-14-2012, 06:15 AM
grrr....dumb doctors!!! Weight is so relative too...what is normal for one is not normal for another....like taking account family, age, etc...grrr...

DD1 got misdiagnosed for one year, having 3 pneumonias within one winter season and I finally switched doctors and finally got her diagnosed with asthma related issues. Go with your gut, Michelle! My dad is a doctor and he always says, moms have the best feelings in the world related to the child, so go with it!

nicoleseitler
01-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Wow. :blink:

Don't be afraid to change doctors! I debated with myself about finding a new dentist. I went to one here that I was hoping would be a good fit for me. I asked them to look at a moral that I knew had a hole in it. I wanted to know if it could be fixed. They gave me two choices (yank it or put a crown on it). I said I wanted to go home to think it over. Put they pushed me into a choice and I had it yanked. Now I am so pissed that I didn't just walk out of there. I found a new dentist who is NORMAL and I am so happy I did. So don't be afraid to leave a practice when you feel like you need to. :yeshuh:

I would also second the comment that a family practitioner is so much better than a pediatrician. I hate pediatricians and I will never go back to one. :nah:

IntenseMagic
01-14-2012, 11:48 AM
That's just awful!! I agree with everything said here! And yep, that'd be the last time I set foot in that office and I'd make sure I spread the word!

Danyale
01-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Ugh, how hard for you to have gone through this. Pure stoooopid to quote Holly. :(

Nothing more more to add to the general frustration can't be wrong for sure. We also changed to a Family Practitioner once my kids hit school age, and it was a very good move for us. Hope it all works out for you and know that no matter what someone else says...A mom's intuition is always right, hugz!

Chel
01-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Oh Wow.....I can't believe a doctor would say that to a five year old!!

Just adding more support! Your boy looks adorable and just fine.
Hoping that you are able to find a doctor that you are comfortable with!

janfrn
01-18-2012, 10:27 PM
May I weigh in here (no pun intended! ;) ) as a pediatric health care professional? I'm a registered nurse working in a pediatric ICU; I've been doing this for 17+years. I know obese when I see it. I don't see it. He's sturdy, but certainly not obese! I've seen 5 year-olds who weigh upwards of 80 pounds and their moms don't think there's anything wrong with that. they come into the PICU after having a tonsillectomy because they have a history of obstructive sleep apnea... and guess what. They STILL have obstructive sleep apnea because they have so much fat around their necks that they can't help it.

BMI is a really lousy measure of "fatness". Muscle weighs more than fat and is more metabolically active. A neighbor of mine was deemed to be obese because he was 5'6" tall and 190 lb. His BMI was 31. However, this man could bench press 250 lb, and was solid muscle. Not a spare millimeter of fat on him anywhere. This article describes some of the limitations of using BMI to evaluate children: http://www.bcm.edu/cnrc/consumer/nyc/volSU-00e.htm

I echo the other responses that recommend changing doctors. Not all pediatricians are such fat-phobes that they can't distinguish between a healthy weight and the opposite. And really, unless your son has chronic health issues to begin with, he really doesn't need a pediatrician. A good old family practitioner would be just fine.