PDA

View Full Version : GRRR, major PSCS frustration!

Laura_A
06-12-2005, 08:02 AM
I just recently upgraded from PSE3 to PSCS. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or not, but it is running SO SLOW since I installed! I'm not kidding when I say it takes literally minutes to complete a command like resizing or opening a new file. I've NEVER had this problem before.

I went through my C:// drive and cleaned it up, even finding an old digital program that was bigger than PSCS and deleting. I defragged, make sure nothing else is open and all that good stuff and it's still unbearably slow. I can't work with it like this as it will take hours to complete a single LO.

Is there something else I can do or is it time for a more powerful computer? UGH!

Sorry I sound so 'short', I'm just so darn frustrated... and I want chocolate. LOL

MarshaZepeda
06-12-2005, 09:58 AM
I know that one of the ways that you can help it to run faster is by changing the scratch disk area. You want your scratch disk to be somewhere 'clean'. (Where there is preferably nothing or a very large amount of disc space.) This is kind of like PS's temp area. The larger the space, the faster the program will run... hth! :D

holly
06-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Mine's not slow running so much as it is opening the program Hmm, wonder if scratch disks would help me too?

Laura_A
06-12-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm a gomer... explain scratch disk in idiot terms please. :oops:

holly
06-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Laura, let me find a link for you....but to find where they are you go to:

Edit/Preferences/Scratch Disks & Plug ins.

MarshaZepeda
06-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I know that I can't accurately explain this myself so I did a 'google' lol! Here's some info:
http://www.pdesigner.net/photoshopcs/1_4_28_0.html
(I just picked the first one that looked good and simple... I hope it helps!) :D

holly
06-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Try reading this:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=174335&seqNum=9

holly
06-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Found this on partitioning hard drives...I think I'm going to get software and do this on mine for better efficiency!

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,73826,00.asp

Laura_A
06-12-2005, 12:32 PM
OMG, you guys are so awesome! I'm not done reading and only set up 2 skratch drives and already it's SO much better! What a relief.. thank you thank you!

holly
06-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Laura is yours already partitioned? What did you go with?

Laura_A
06-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Well, I only had 2 options besides my C: drive... one was my external drive and the other was the D: which is the system recover drive. Not sure if I should use the D: or not, but I just wanted to get this crazy LO done and then read a little more about this.

holly
06-12-2005, 01:10 PM
What is the details of your external? Space, etc.?

Laura_A
06-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Total Size: 150GB
Free Space: 132GB

Is that what you mean?

MarshaZepeda
06-12-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm so glad that it worked, Laura! :D

holly
06-12-2005, 02:56 PM
yep - okay, i must get an external drive....gosh, with all my photography stuff on here....yuck!

Laura_A
06-12-2005, 03:07 PM
I was surprised at how resonable the price was. $180 for mine.

holly
06-12-2005, 03:09 PM
yeah, they are....just never thought I'd need it with what I have, but my RAW photos take up a LOT of space until I can get them burned! I need a DVD burner too! LOL

three-cowboys
06-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Uh, I was about to give my two cents when i realized that we were having a PC talk. And I'm all Mac...

But I'm guessing that what we are saying is "get more RAM"? :)

Linda

Laura_A
06-15-2005, 07:21 AM
Yep Linda! I'll be hunting for more RAM as soon as DH gets home. I plan on getting more and keeping it strictly for running my PSCS. I can't bare having it run slow... it's makes me CRAZY!

three-cowboys
06-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Laura, til then, you can reset the computer by restarting. Kind of uncool, but it helps a lot!

Linda

info@artplates.com
07-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi Laura! I had issues with CS too. At one point it wouldn't even open, so my tech guy (thank goodness I've found a good one!) showed me how to replace the Photoshop Preference File. This is a great fix that I can't even explain. He was impressed on how it sped up even the program loading and said he was gonna go home and do the same to his program! I'm sure you can do a search on Google and find a lot of photoshop help sites that will explain this to you. It isn't very difficult and turns out is a common fix that the NAPP (National Assoc. of Photoshop Professionals) recommends. BTW, this is the greatest group to join for $99 a year. SO much free advice, discounts and a fab magazine too! :-)

Laura_A
07-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the additional info. I'll look into the Preference File thing.

Since I posted this things have gotten MUCH better. I ended up purchasing the Norton Partition Magic 8.0 and set up a separate partition on my hard drive just to run CS and another to add to the scratch disks. It has really helped. I do find that it still bogs down if I leave it open a long time. So, usually when I'm done with a project I'll take a break and shut it down for a few. Otherwise, my hair is finally growing back.. heehee.

paula_duncan
07-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Sorry a bit off topic....I went away to read the article on scratch disk and cacheing and when I came backthe entire forum changed.....cool. Anyway, I took you advise and read the articles, changed a few things and "WOW". I can't believe how much more efficient the programs is.....thanx.