PDA

View Full Version : WHO CARES?!

nicoleseitler
01-12-2012, 02:53 PM
I wanted to tell you guys something funny... I think I have come up with One Little Word for my scrapbooking! Okay, TWO little words: WHO CARES?! :lol:

(I know--I'm acting a little crazy over the whole OLW thing, huh?!) :idiot:

Anyway, I'm starting to see how I get so hung up on the art and the sharing and the wanting praise that I stop myself from even starting until I know I have the time to "do it right." I was writing this morning on my blog, posting two pages I made last year (here (http://nicole.webseitler.com/2012/01/12/emerging-style/)) and I started to ramble on about my handwriting:

I’m still working on learning to love my own handwriting. Sigh. That is a work in progress.

I’m using my daily journals for Project Life and Writing Motherhood to practice my style and hoping for the best. But I started to also run papers through the printer and I think I will be experimenting more with that. My goal is to record our memories—not worry about my art or even having my handwriting on a page. I need to stop letting these things hold me back from doing what I love and what I think is most important with this hobby. It’s not about impressing other people… it’s about recording life. Of course I want to be happy with my work, too. And scraplifting is one way to get there!

And then, I was just thinking about this:

Over the holidays, I had to use my flash to get some photos for my Dec. Daily album (trimming the tree, Christmas Eve). I was preparing the photos for printing Tuesday and I was like "Ah, man. I wish I had better pictures without a flash. Oh, well... I'll just use these."

Yesterday, I went to the store to print them out. And you know what? When I looked at them, they didn't scream "YOU USED A FLASH!!!" at me. They look normal! They look great! They look like captured memories! Now I'm thinking that they look worse on a monitor than they do in real life. Anyway--lesson learned: "Girl, get out your camera and stop worrying so much!"

So... :P Take that, Inner Critic! :hey: No one cares what you think!

What's most important here? HAVING the pictures and TELLING the story. :yeshuh:

I just wanted to share these ramblings with you, in case you needed to tell your own Little Miss Perfectionist to go jump in a lake. :giggle:

AquaRuby
01-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Yes, my Little Miss Perfectionist can get the better of me some days too. She can be a stifling little monster at times, glad to hear that you were able to tell her "Shush!"

amanda heimann
01-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Preach it, sister!

jenny73
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
I couldn't agree more, Nicole! I have a difficult time being super nitpicky about the same sort of things. DH asked me recently if when I look through the very few photos I have from my mom's childhood do I ever critique the photography skills of my grandparents? Or wish the notes written on the back were in nicer penmanship? I'm just thankful to have little pieces of the past and the memories they hold.

Unica
01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Amen Nicole! That's absolutely me and I should just tell myself to shut that little voice up.

dawnfarias
01-12-2012, 03:39 PM
They look like captured memories!

Bingo.

wishingwellcreations
01-12-2012, 03:48 PM
LOL @ the "telling your own little Miss Perfectionist to go jump in a lake" part! :lol:

Nathalie
01-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Oh gosh, that is so me! I often think, I don't have the time to worry about the correct settings at my DSLR that I don't even take the photo at all instead of simply taking a snapshot on AUTO, just to have the pic :( The last few years I take less and less photos. I need to embrace to don't care about that part and simply take the shot!

juliesouthern
01-12-2012, 04:03 PM
That's why I'm trying to use instagram more this year. I actually think that the project life thing is freeing a teeny part of my mind from artistic tyranny.

jennyf92
01-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Amen!!! I can't even put my laundry away without it looking like a stack of chiclets (you know, the gum?). I got that from working in the Gap back in the day. So don't even get me started about how I perseverate over my layouts! So I am totally with you about saying who cares and telling her to take a hike!

cardinalskate
01-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Ugh. Me, too. This is me. I actually had to jump on Yahoo chat last night so I could get my best friend to tell me that "I DO NOT need to cluster on every single layout." I can scrap without clustering. Because clustering is the big thing right now, right? So I have to do it so everyone accepts me and tells me I scrap beautifully, right? SHUT UP!! The photo that I was scrapping had more meaning to my husband than probably any other photo he has, other than of his child, so when he was happy with my NON-CLUSTERED LO, I told myself that I accomplished what I wanted.

nicoleseitler
01-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I couldn't agree more, Nicole! I have a difficult time being super nitpicky about the same sort of things. DH asked me recently if when I look through the very few photos I have from my mom's childhood do I ever critique the photography skills of my grandparents? Or wish the notes written on the back were in nicer penmanship? I'm just thankful to have little pieces of the past and the memories they hold.

Ha ha! That's awesome. So true! :yeshuh:

That's why I'm trying to use instagram more this year. I actually think that the project life thing is freeing a teeny part of my mind from artistic tyranny.

Yes! Me, too! And it's so much easier to pick up my iPod and take a quick picture than get out my camera and start worrying about stuff... it's freeing. And I'm thinking more about capturing moments now than I was when I only used my camera last year. :D

The photo that I was scrapping had more meaning to my husband than probably any other photo he has, other than of his child, so when he was happy with my NON-CLUSTERED LO, I told myself that I accomplished what I wanted.

:clap: Hear, hear! :yeshuh: Good stuff!

ccouch
01-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm a total freakin' renegade.
I fed the girls Wendy's today...in the parking lot cause Camille had a fever and we weren't going inside to eat while we waited for the pharmacy to fill their prescriptions.
I thought it was kinda funny. Us sitting in the parking lot, cranked car, eating and watching t.v.
So I grabbed my little point and shoot, aimed in at the back seat, and captured our little moment.
I will fully admit to not even looking through the viewfinder. HA!

KellieMize
01-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Amen!!! I am all about iphonography these days. I've never been a great photog and even though I have a basic SLR for years and would like to know it better I pretty much stick to auto. Any photo is better than no photo! Just snap it!

MariKoegelenberg
01-12-2012, 08:18 PM
perfection is overrated guys!!! ROFL! R.E.L.A.X. and ENJOY life! :lol:

You don't want to hear the story of how I let my inner perfectionist relax a bit or whatever...just imagine its the night before your wedding and the menu's you printed with so much care and after delegating (against your better judgement) to your bridesmaid aka the sister (:lol: yes she is still family and yes I do still love her to bits) and she was supposed to use the guillotine at the printers and a few at a time trim them in half (but Noooo she had to cut them all at once...and yes they were as crooked as the crooked man's house).

Lets just say while I was setting the table and checking everything I was reciting to myself the whole time just so I would not lose it 'life is not perfect, life is not perfect' and guess what the wedding was a success and everyone gushed about all the handmade touches etc. and ever since then I just kind of let go a bit and realized that I should not be too tough on myself and my expectations.

AnneofAlamo
01-12-2012, 09:59 PM
my kids love blurry pictures! perhaps we are weird, okay we are weird, but they get a kick when I put a blurry one in the pages that they now get to see other than a screen saver slide show! One Year down, 4 to go! I am moving and groving and crying thru the photos "where are my babies??"

nicoleseitler
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Oh, Mari! :lol: Good way to start your new life, though! :D

Any photo is better than no photo! Just snap it!

GREAT MOTTO! :clap: Love it. :)

IntenseMagic
01-13-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm trying to keep all this in mind so that maybe I actually make it through a project this year! DH is doing a P52, but he is focusing on just taking technically "perfect" photos once a week. I just keep telling him that's not what mine is about... I just want to document life :)

mhreen08
01-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Totally agree!

IdaJay
01-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I too tend to be a perfectionist, especially with scrapbooking. I wasn't totally happy with my One Little Word layout today, couldn't get the text the way I wanted it. So I told my inner perfectionish to go jump in a lake (I love that line!) and at least the page was done :)

ShabbyShaz
01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Wonder why we all have that nasty little girl attached to our desires to do something that is so right. I too am enjoying the instagram and photo taking - yes even with a flash. I decided that it was better to have the pic with flash than not have it at all.

Glad we are on on the same page :teehee: and can kick that little miss perfectionist back where she belongs!!

nicoleseitler
01-14-2012, 11:26 AM
...at least the page was done :)

YES! :clap: Go, Janet! :heart:

Nathalie
01-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Haha Sharyn, you didn't kick Miss P far enough!

VeronicaH
01-15-2012, 01:13 AM
I couldn't agree more! I am a total perfectionist when it comes to anything I create. That's why digi scrapping is perfect - "Undo"? "Delete" ? - Wonderful little tools LOL! Problem is I tend to take hours - and I mean HOURS to do ONE SINGLE LAYOUT!!
I really try to force myself to get on with it and not be so fussy, but I simply can't help it sometimes.
Wish I could banish the little perfection gremlin too!!

LeeAndra
01-18-2012, 09:37 PM
For me, it's not so much abt me being a perfectionist, but not taking my eye out of the viewfinder once in awhile to enjoy what the photo actually is vs. seeing everything as a photo waiting to be taken:

'Look at how cute DD is!' vs. 'I wish she was wearing purple because I have the perfect kit if she was.'

'I love Christmas photos!' vs. 'Why in the world would my SIL/sister let her boy(s) wear THAT on Christmas Day when she knows I'm going to be taking photos?'

'I love being cuddled up with DD.' vs. 'I wish I could reach my camera. This would make such a great shot for XYZ challenge at XYZ site.'

I sound like an addict, don't I? Maybe I need a scrap intervention... :P

MrsPeel
01-26-2012, 06:13 PM
What's most important here? HAVING the pictures and TELLING the story. :yeshuh:

absolutely.
totally agree, 100%
I was one of those obsessed with the flash use (not to)
and then I realised that the ones that really NEED flash (as I don't know how to use my DSLR properly) look great for the purpose of , exactly that: telling the story.

I am so happy with having gotten through and printed my 2011 project, and already started the 2012...(with the help of so many gorgeous Boutique collabs, I have to ad) and I agree, 100%

glad you posted this, I was freaking out with the flash thing only this afternoon...this is a good reminder Thanks Nicole!!!

grrfluudy
02-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the reminder!! Wonderful post...how easy it is for our inner perfectionist to forget why we are doing this. Love this!!

Nathalie
02-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Just had to come here to tell you: I did it... lol, I took pics of my kids and their friend at the breakfast table this morning. And because they requested pancakes before 7 am, I simply couldn't bother about the right settings and used Auto... So what?!?! ROFL