PDA

View Full Version : Project Life-style scrapping

ccouch
01-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Several of you gals have been doing this lately (Jude, Sinead...others...?) - - scrapping quickly using Project Life-style recording of memories. It's simply brilliant.

I was going to share this LO in PL Week 1, but I decided to start a separate thread to share with you all why I'm so taken with this method. Maybe it will speak to someone else and give you some of the freedom I've found.

This is my second "PL-style" layout for my week1. I am using the Becky Higgins protectors for a week at a glance, but I'm adding in extra photos via 8x8 LOs or other page protectors. Template courtesy of Laura...with a few tweaks to fit my photos.

http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/data/500/1-8b-2012web.jpg (http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=145213&title=very-merry&cat=500)

I'm telling you what I love so much is this: Over the course of our weekend with Brandon's grandparents, I took many photos. I would've been at a loss over how to scrap them all. And, they would sit on my hard-drive. Just like they do every major holiday.

- I would've wanted to write something cute about Camille cuddling with Brandon while wearing his Texas Tech hat. I would've found a good football type kit and journaled all about their relationship or something.
- I would have wanted to create a separate page for Lily's hermit crab cage. Yep, Granny bought a hermit crab cage for Lily by mistake. It had Dora on the box so she went with it. It was SO funny, we all died laughing, and now Lily is begging for a crab. Thanks, Granny!!
- I would have wanted to create some kind of tribute page to his grandparents in admiration of their love for each other. They love to laugh and we have the best time with them.

Basically, I would've created SO much work for myself with these memories. Instead, I have everything from that week already scrapped. I have the freedom to go back and create any of those more specific LOs, but for now, the memories have been captured and recorded. Man, I love this.

wishingwellcreations
01-12-2012, 06:00 PM
I love the way you described how it frees you up... :heart:

OK, here's what it is that I love: over time, many of us miss out on documenting the things that happen in our lives because we just don't have enough time to do all of the layouts we have in our minds. So due to lack of time, we just don't get lots of things scrapped/documented at all. Totally understandable... but -- I adore the idea of no matter what, throwing some photos into a simple layout like this. Then, if/when time allows, you come back and do some (or all) of the other layouts you're dreaming up. But at the very least, you have some photos and journaling to share with your family. :D LOVE! :heart:

p.s. your page is so great! didn't want to forget to mention that! :) ha

ccouch
01-12-2012, 10:46 PM
:D Thanks, Laura!

sinead
01-12-2012, 10:50 PM
I :heart: this, too! And the whole hermit crab thing has me rolling in the floor! SO awesome! NOW, if I could just get the pictures off my phone, I'd have several LOs to share with you, too!!

juliesouthern
01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Laura's right...I cant tell you how many things I haven't done because I didn't have the time or impetus to do what I felt would "do justice" to the event. It would have been so much better to have a simple layout that got the point across and then I could add something artistic if I wanted to.

ccouch
01-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Exactly! Why the heck do we do that to ourselves?!

juliesouthern
01-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Speaking for myself, my first pages were essentially project-life-ish. And then I learned new stuff, and it seemed like I was cheating if I didn't "do a good job." So somehow that turned into "doing nothing is better than something not perfect." Apparently I'm a magician, LOL I can turn good into lousy with the flick of a mouse...

Pamie
01-13-2012, 10:53 AM
This is such an inspiring thread! I know I have a million LOs in my head that I haven't had a chance to do yet, and the longer I wait to get them perfectly scrapped, the less I am remembering about the story behind the photos. I'm going to try to let it go a little, and get those memories out before they're all gone from my almost-40 year old brain. :giggle:

dailydwelling
01-13-2012, 12:20 PM
This is so great!

I love how you're using this to get some pictures and memories down. This is inspiring me to go back and power-scrap Project-life style some events that I have missed.

Siamese Studio
01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
I love it too! It's very easy and fast. I am also planning to go back to pictures of my dd when she was a baby and work on another Project for her.

nicoleseitler
01-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Basically, I would've created SO much work for myself with these memories. Instead, I have everything from that week already scrapped. I have the freedom to go back and create any of those more specific LOs, but for now, the memories have been captured and recorded. Man, I love this.

Hot dog! You are SO right. You can say to yourself "Hmm. Later." and move on!

I actually just wrote about doing the opposite on TYS today. :lol: But actually, it's kinda in line with what you're saying.

I talked about journaling and really getting the details in there so that your stories come alive. At the end of the exercise, I found from one day I had material for seven layouts! :blink:

On the one hand, that makes scrapping a lot easier--I can see what I want to make pages about at a glace. I'm not at a loss for topics, especially when I line them up with photos from the day. Sometimes our photos become disconnected from our memories and then we look back and say "Why in the heck did I take this? Oh, well. She's cute here so I'll just say 'You were so cute when you were three.'" But the best thing of all, with all those details, the memories are not lost! I can move on from Wednesday and come back later and it's all there for me. If I wanted to tell a story, I don't have to try to remember it. I quickly recorded it... and I can scrap it when I want to!

:clap:

The picture of Lily and grandma is priceless. I love it!

judet
01-13-2012, 02:08 PM
That's the best thing about scrapping like this I think, Nicole. If the events are done, it should take away that nagging voice in the back of the head that's saying 'Scrap last christmas!' and we can scrap the things we're inspired to - and having those notes would be fabulous, too!

cardinalskate
01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
You're so right, Christine. I have a lot of pics that would be perfect for a "slap and go" LO. And I'd be perfectly happy with that and the memory would be kept. Well said.