PDA

View Full Version : I've been swimming!

dawnfarias
01-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Backstory: at 35 I am having joint pain issues. I LOVE volleyball and like to play drop-in ball til I get kicked out of the gym. But my elbows have started not liking the volleyball playing and will give me pain for days afterward.

I've had back issues since the last baby (I have four kids and the last one will be 4 next month). Aerobics and jogging are out as is really fast walking. I will have a hard time sleeping those nights because my back will be in such pain.

Pilates and weight lifting are wonderful but they really hurts my wrists. And elbows (see volleyball above).

So, in the spirit of a new year and wanting to exercise more regularly, I've turned to swimming. I know how to swim, having taken lessons when I was younger. (I also took synchronized swimming in college. Man, that stuff is HARD!) I have to take a lot of breaks to catch my breath but after 30 minutes my arms and legs are jelly: signs of a decent workout. And no joint pain!

Now, I'm a bit unnerved when the men in the lane next to me are swimming like there's money on it, but whatever.

If you're thinking about taking up swimming (I go to the YMCA) then you may like this starting routine (http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/startingaroutine). Oh, and buy goggles. Your eyes will thank you.

How is YOUR exercising going?

inkspots
01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
That's great! I'd love to swim, but am not very good at it and am very intimidated by all those crazy, swimming sailors--who can probably swim a lap faster than I can walk it. LOL I love the site you posted though, and I actually have most of the equipment. I know I'll have to start swimming come the summer when it's just way too hot to do anything else, so I'm mentally preparing for it.

ETA: I too LOVE volleyball. I used to play all the time.

Pamie
01-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Good for you, Dawn!

cardinalskate
01-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Love lap swimming, too. It's HARD! I haven't done it in forever and you're not kidding about it being a workout. Love volleyball, too ;)

donnawells
01-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm a jogger and a walker. I think I lost my passion for swimming after taking Advanced Swimming and Lifesaving in college (THE hardest class I ever took), and then working as a lifeguard. I DID go swimming for fun the last time I was at a hotel but that was because there was a hot tub right there and I could go back and forth between the two!!! I love that hot water.

juliesouthern
01-13-2012, 11:02 PM
I swim like a rock. In a curious coincidence, I also run like one...

Sometime in the next few days I'm going to tackle the eliptical in the basement. And when it warms up a bit (when the ice melts) I'll go back to walking. As long as I don't chew gum, I should be okay.

teachermom_Rach
01-13-2012, 11:38 PM

Sometime in the next few days I'm going to tackle the eliptical in the basement. And when it warms up a bit (when the ice melts) I'll go back to walking. As long as I don't chew gum, I should be okay.

Two things...the chewing gum thing, made me bark. :spew: And B: you guys have ice up there?! DH was looking at our 10 day forecast and I guess we only have like 2 days below 50 in the next 10! It is January, right? Guess we're far enough away, it could be different. Planning to enjoy the weather and get out of the road a few times while I can. :yeshuh:

dawnfarias
01-13-2012, 11:45 PM

:spew:

Today I went swimming and after all my speech above about my body not hurting, wouldn't you know that my back is killing me.

STUPID BACK!

IntenseMagic
01-13-2012, 11:49 PM
I love swimming! I'm not a runner, tried to be once and it just didn't work out haha. DD and I are thinking about joining the fitness center. Hopefully she will make me go!

wishingwellcreations
01-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Dawn, see, I told you we were twins of some sort. I have back issues, and I took up swimming (and water exercise classes) at the Y this past year. LOVE! :heart:

I have some good (and simple, do-anywhere type) exercises I can pass along for your back, depending on what your issue is. I had back surgery the year before my oldest was born -- and then he was an emergency C-section (my stoopid giant-headed children, who are the fault of my stoopid giant-headed husband!)... as was my 2nd son, 2yrs later. Basically, back surgery and 2 c-sections in less than 3 years meant back trouble galore. But you can do things to strengthen it, rather easily, and it helps for when you want to do water exercise (which is actually sometimes hard on your back, unless your core muscles are strong, because the water allows so much motion and your back ligaments/etc. get stretched and tweaked).

Can you tell I have been to PT for my back multiple times? I could peddle this stuff. But I won't. Instead I will just PM people exercises. :lol:

Nathalie
01-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Oh Julie, you made me spit my drink over the monitor!

Dawn, Laura - we might as well be triplets - same issues here and Dawn, your ellbows are my knees, especially my left one. We are getting old, ladies LOL

dawnfarias
01-14-2012, 02:35 AM
We are getting old, ladies LOL

True that.

Laura - you know, I suspect my core muscles and that's why I started Pilates and a push-up program. But, the elbows and wrists hurt me. I'll take your list of exercises. Is it planks and stuff like that?

hollyinjapan
01-14-2012, 03:45 AM
Swimming and water aerobics are wonderful - low impact exercise for us "aging" chicks.

So far my exercise this year is poor. The day the kids went back to school was supposed to be my day back to the dance studio. Instead I spent that day and the next with a cold curled up at home reading. But I was able to go to my yoga class on Friday. This month the teacher is focusing on the abs. She has us do all the warmup stretches and sun salutation routine first. Then we are expected to have enough power left for balancing poses. :imokay:After all that she wants us to do abdomen hold poses. I sit there shaking like a vibrating leaf while she reminds us not to hold our breath. :ugh:Yeah right. LOVE that relaxation pose time at the end. I've actually fallen asleep once!

Hopefully next week I'll be able to get into the studio. I need to lose all those cookie-in-a-jar pounds I somehow picked up over winter break!

hollyinjapan
01-14-2012, 03:50 AM
I think I lost my passion for swimming after taking Advanced Swimming and Lifesaving in college (THE hardest class I ever took), and then working as a lifeguard.

I used to be a lifeguard and swimming instructor too Donna. I actually almost drowned the first time I took my lifesaving test. It was indeed the hardest class I've ever taken too. The instructor - who almost drown me - ended up having to rescue me from the bottom of the pool. I have no idea why but they passed me in that class. I aced everything else and maybe they thought in reality I'd never have to have a 250 pound guy jump on my back and me have to save him! That was one of the worst experiences of my life! :drowning: I worked at pools for almost 12 years so I'm not all that enthusiastic about swimming anymore.

inkspots
01-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Holly, I can so relate to the yoga. When I went last week it was the first session of the year--it's a group of teachers. The instructor said we'd go easy, showed us the sun salutation nice and slow, then we did about six or so in rapid succession. I was dieing and we hadn't even gotten beyond warmups.

I wish I didn't have to go to the other base for the pool. Ours here is only open in the summer.

hollyinjapan
01-14-2012, 05:53 AM
I wish I didn't have to go to the other base for the pool. Ours here is only open in the summer.

In this country traveling to get somewhere is workout enough. If my exercise classes aren't within a 10 minute walk I don't sign up for them. That just shows you how lazy I really am. Or it shows you how convenient my neighborhood is because we pretty much have everything withing walking distance!

dawnfarias
01-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Oh, Holly, I know that vibrating feeling. I have actually laughed out loud in classes at the absurdity (for MY body) of what we were having to do. Sometimes it just becomes that ludicrous (for me).

Chel
01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Good for you Dawn!!
I really need to move more!
And I totally love yoga.....I have fallen asleep before at the end of class a few times too! I did it all through my pregancy and I had almost no problems. Ended up needing an emgerancy C-section but I was ready for a natural birth.