PDA

View Full Version : Best Valentine's Gift

mhreen08
02-10-2012, 05:55 AM
What has been your favorite present that you received for Valentine's Day? I'll start. The first year my son was in daycare, he made me a little heart picture frame. He was so sweet when he gave it to me and everyday I still look at it and smile.

inkspots
02-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Hmmm, the only thing that immediately comes to mind is my first Valentine's with DH--then just a "boyfriend". We got each other the same cards! I bought mine in Northern California, he in Southern. We'd only been together a few months, but were engaged a couple weeks later.:heartshape:

Chel
02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Ummmm.....good question! I think for me it was the year Mike made me a planters box and bought me flowers to plant. We had a freeze that killed off the first batch but the second batch is going strong!

wishingwellcreations
02-10-2012, 01:33 PM
I have three. Is that legal? No matter, I'm posting them all. Just try to stop me. :grin:

(1) When my hubs and I were dating in college, we had been together about 4 years and he had never given me flowers. It became a joke, and it was obvious he wasn't going to buy any after that because it was getting too awkward. :lol: So on Valentine's Day that year, he made me a homemade coupon book. Lame, maybe, but it was hysterical b/c I had made him one, too (we'd never done this before, and had never discussed it). Our coupons were almost identical. Stuff like, "you win the 'whose place are we staying at tonight?' argument with this coupon" ... or "when we run out of ice cream, I'm the one who has to suck it up and go to the store..." etc.

(2) We broke up a year or two later, and went our separate ways... but remained the best of friends and talked on the phone about 2-3x a week, etc. Finally, about 11 years after we had met, we entertained the idea of getting back together again. That year, on Valentine's Day, we bought each other the same exact present. Fondue set for chocolate covered fruit and stuff. Again, it was something we hadn't ever done before (fondue) and/or discussed... so it was SO random! In fact, so bizarre that it almost completely sealed the deal and we were married about a year later.

(3) Two days ago, we went out for lunch together. While leaving the restaurant, I stopped in their bakery and was drooling over some fancy cupcakes they had. Didn't get one, though, because I am trying to eat more healthy-like. :) Yesterday, he came home in the middle of the day -- unannounced (this never happens) and delivered me the cupcake and a bouquet of gerbera daisies, which I love. Totally out of the blue. And yes, flowers.

We'll have known each other 20 years this August, and I swear that man still surprises me sometimes. EDITOR'S NOTE: the cupcake was only average... but the gift was AH-MAZE-ING! :grin:

donnawells
02-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Awww...those are all very sweet.

I've gotten some nice boxes of chocolates and flowers over the years but really, the one Valentine that sticks in my head is so silly but it's from my mom. When I was in high school she seemed to be so busy and I was busy with school and my after-school job and drill team etc. etc. Everyone in our family was just kind of existing together. We had dinner as a family when we could but we weren't super connected now that I think back. One day she came home with some underpants for me. They had a little picture of a girl (Hallmark-type illustration) getting a letter out of a mailbox, which sounds sort of bow chicka wow wow, but they weren't like that. They were just sweet 1978-style, girl underpants for Valentine's Day. It made me feel very special that my mom shopped for a little gift like that for me.

cardinalskate
02-10-2012, 03:41 PM
I can't remember a single thing I've ever gotten for V-Day. I have an awesome, amazing husband, but he's not great in the gift department LOL.

On the other hand, I've gotten some amazingly cute little crafty things from my three-year-old this week that she's done in preschool. So cute!