PDA

View Full Version : Moms of girls...

mrsaboyer
03-23-2012, 08:48 PM
when does "it" start? The hormones, and the crazy "girl-ness"? Our Atha has started becoming uber-emotional at the drop of a hat, and she is only 7. I thought we had some time before this started! If she's this bad now, then I can't imagine what's going to happen when she gets to be, oh, 12 or 13. Oy.

Nathalie
03-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Our girl is 9 and yes, I think the emotions started boiling up around 7ish... and not only that, she started smelling under her arms last year, too. :blink: Also her boobies are starting to grow :shock:.
:lalala::lalala::lalala:

sinead
03-23-2012, 09:50 PM
My oldest is 8.5, and holy smoke, the drama!! I'm thinking that I've heard recently that "it" starts closer to 10 than 12 or 14, and I'm dreading it already.

We're all in the same boat, girls! I say we start a support club NOW!

teachermom_Rach
03-23-2012, 09:56 PM
I'll join in! My Maggie is 10, and I'll second (or third, or fourth) the drama! I end up sending her to her room more often than not because I just don't want to listen to the whining, or repeat myself for a 4th time, or.... I've talked to her about how she feels when she's projecting that drama queen, to maybe help her pinpoint when she's feeling that way to maybe tone it down a bit. (I know when I'm short tempered, if I recognize it, I can sometimes minimize the outward appearance of my temper.) I'm thinking we're going to have to start talking about "it" very soon...not sure when though...don't want to do it too early, but don't want to wait until she starts either (that would be super scary for her!).

IntenseMagic
03-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Also her boobies are starting to grow :shock:.

We won't even talk about this...my DD's started and never stopped!! My famous words most every day "Put your boobs away".
I do have to say she's not ever really been the emotional type...drama is not her thing at all. Usually when she's upset, she just gets really quiet and keeps to herself. I keep waiting for it (she's almost 17), but I really had more drama and emotional stuff out of my oldest son than I do her.

juliesouthern
03-23-2012, 10:45 PM
My older daughter started a bit at 7 - the underarm odor especially. She was always a bit of a drama queen, so that didn't decrease any, for sure, LOL. My younger girl was later... probably 5th grade. All I can say is... good luck, and keep a secret wine bottle in your closeet ;)

Nathalie
03-23-2012, 10:55 PM
My older daughter started a bit at 7 - the underarm odor especially. She was always a bit of a drama queen, so that didn't decrease any, for sure, LOL. My younger girl was later... probably 5th grade. All I can say is... good luck, and keep a secret wine bottle in your closeet ;)

Or I join Danyale and you in the corner with the mimosas... ;)

juliesouthern
03-23-2012, 11:03 PM
The more the merrier!

lakauai
03-23-2012, 11:11 PM
same story here - I have boy/girl twins who are 9. Lael, my dd has always been a drama queen, but in the past year or so it has def escalated. Her bro, Caeden, is just as sweet tempered and easy-going as always. boys and girls, as different as night and day. We wondered for a long time if it was possible that one of them was switched at birth! Not really, but they were that different from day one.

Trista
03-23-2012, 11:13 PM
I see what I have to look forward to... my little drama queen is 4 going on 40! EEK!

SunshineTK
03-23-2012, 11:25 PM
My drama queen will be 8 next month. Can I join the support group, please??

sinead
03-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Yes, Tracy!!

Just last weekend, my Maggie (ha, Rachel! There aren't that many Maggies anymore! ;) ) and I were talking about blood donation and blood types (I have no clue how the conversation got there) and she was grossed out about the idea. I told her I'd nearly had to have blood when I had her (c-section), so it was a good thing. A few quiet minutes later, she says, "I know that most people don't have surgery when they have babies, so where do those babies come out?"

EEK!!!! I was SO not ready for that question! LOL. But I mustered up the words, and I told her. She's only 8.5, so I kept it fairly brief and simple. Later that day we were in the grocery store in the feminine products aisle and suddenly she wanted to know "what's that for?" UGH! Another one! Two in one day!!! So back in the car, I explained that to her, too.

I did explain, though, that these conversations are to remain between us and not to be discussed with her friends at school. I told her that they were Mommy/Daughter conversations and that her friends' moms needed to be able to have those conversations with their own girls.

So if your girls haven't started asking those questions yet, beware (and start thinking about your response!) because it's coming! :holysheep:

Nathalie
03-23-2012, 11:44 PM
No Sinead, I simply don't want to, nope, no, never!

sinead
03-23-2012, 11:46 PM
:rotfl:

juliesouthern
03-23-2012, 11:54 PM
My daughter was a reader, so I marched to the Bible book store and picked out a great book that explained things, and we read it together. That helped a lot!

The funny thing (now) is that my younger daughter Molly is extremely private - she actually got her first period at Disneyland on her 13th birthday. She didn't tell me - she asked her older sister Kate for help. I didn't find out until FOUR MONTHS LATER! Oy. I had spasms of failing motherhood for a while over that one.

sinead
03-24-2012, 12:12 AM
lol At least she asked her sister!

chloe
03-24-2012, 03:58 AM
Not thos issues here for a long time (I'm already dealing with my own "how do you make babies" questions... HOW do I make babies??????) but my collegue's daughter is 9 (she'll be 10 in october) and she had belly pains so her mom took her yesterday to have some tests, the doctors were afraid she'd have "early puberty". Her boobs are starting to grow, as is her hair... Apparently, though, it's not the case, but her mom was :shock:: "How could my baby have her period maybe within a year?? NO WAY!!!!"

mrsaboyer
03-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Today, Atha was trying to put on some tights, and she came downstairs crying because the way I told her to do it didn't work. I took one look at her and realized that these tights were about a size 6 mo, and were only going up to her knees. Hilarious laughter all around, even for her, until she realized that she couldn't laugh about this, she had to be indignant, so she hit her face in her hands until she could force herself to stop laughing, and then very laboriously made herself cry again.

I guess I started my period when I was like 11. We aren't so far off. I'll have to go smell her armpits later, and see how she likes that.

Charla
03-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Julie, what book did you find for her? TELL please!!! :D

Jasmine asked when I was pregnant how Hudson was going to get out. I kept it very simple and she was satisfied with the answer. Nothing more has come up and I'm not pushing the discussion at this point. She's almost 7 and very sweet and innocent.

Thankfully not a ton of drama at this point. I didn't start getting AF until almost 14 so hopefully she won't be super early. I think, from what I've read, eating a ton of meat can make it earlier (even before all the hormones were added to meats, but even more so now) so the fact that we don't eat a ton of meat is hopefully in her favor (and mine!)

Sportsmom2018
03-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Well, my daughter is in 6th grade and will be 12 in August. She started last spring with the whole hormones, acne, breast buds, hair, etc. etc. but she is very active and muscular so her doc said she might hold off until after she turns 12. We're vegetarians (she has been since birth) so I don't know about the meat thing - age 12 still seems early to me but most of her friends have already started their cycles - some a year ago. I was almost 16 but I was an avid runner since the age of 12 and the doctor said that made me start late (at 14 I was running almost 10 miles a day).

Charla
03-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Well, my daughter is in 6th grade and will be 12 in August. She started last spring with the whole hormones, acne, breast buds, hair, etc. etc. but she is very active and muscular so her doc said she might hold off until after she turns 12. We're vegetarians (she has been since birth) so I don't know about the meat thing - age 12 still seems early to me but most of her friends have already started their cycles - some a year ago. I was almost 16 but I was an avid runner since the age of 12 and the doctor said that made me start late (at 14 I was running almost 10 miles a day).

My friend and I were just talking about this, and how it was likely my ballet dancing and her sports that made us on the later side. So maybe the meat thing means nothing...it is seeming to get earlier and earlier with each generation, but who knows what else is impacting our kids that we don't even know about!!

Sportsmom2018
03-25-2012, 06:37 PM
I know, it does get earlier and earlier - I do remember though that my sister who is 4 years younger than me started the summer summer I did, so she was 12 and that was ummm, a LOT of years ago - LOL. I wouldn't be surprised if the growth hormones found in products does contribute but I also think a lot of kids aren't as active these days BUT, that being said my daughters friends who started at 11 or 12 are all athletic too, so who the heck knows!

day
03-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Wow reading through this and you've all got me worried. My dd is just like that only she's always been that way! She has the hardest time accepting that she can't run the world and every little thing is such a big deal! At 5, I know she isn't near puberty yet, but I am terrified of when it does come!!

As to the talk about "it"... my dd is very curious and has been interested in babies and where they come from from a very early age. I've always answered her little questions as they come without going beyond the precise answer to what she asks, and when she was ready to hear more she'd ask more. It was only a few months ago that she finally got around to asking just exactly how does the daddy's fertilizer get to the mommy's egg to make the baby start? Definitely one of those deep-breath-and-plunge-in moments
:drowning:
We haven't talked about "Aunt Flo" yet, but I'm hoping I have a while before that occurs to her to ask!

I can't imagine getting both in one day! That would be crazy! :ugh:

mrsaboyer
03-25-2012, 07:55 PM
I have told both of my girls pretty straight forward about where babies come from, and about Aunt Flo. The former, because everybody wanted to know about it when I was pregnant with Walt, and I just told them that the daddy has to put a cell into the mommy, and he puts it in through her privates, and it joins with a cell in the mommy and grows into a baby. I told them that Aunt Flo was something that happens every month to women who are old enough to make babies. I had to tell them about Aunt Flo because they have no boundaries, and will barge into the bathroom whenever they like. :-/

sinead
03-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Wow, Andrea! You really did come right out with it! lol I told Maggie some of that but not quite all the special cell and where it goes. I'm sure that time will come, though! Probably sooner rather than later!

melissaj17
03-25-2012, 09:26 PM
My son is 7 and knows how babies get out (natural birth vs c-section) since my SIL just had a baby and he is quite curious! Luckily, he hasn't asked how babies get in yet. I am dreading that conversation, but I definitely want him to hear it from me first.

mrsaboyer
03-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Well I kind of figured that if I made it direct rather than being all secretive the it wouldn't be quite so scary? Maybe? If that makes sense.

Although Atha did tell a little boy that Walter milks me like a cow, and Genny is fond of telling people that Walter came out of my butt- by which she means belly button, she gets that confused- because I had a c-section. *sigh*

sinead
03-25-2012, 11:14 PM
LOL No, I totally get what you are saying. LOL at what they say, though.

chloe
03-26-2012, 09:36 AM

Female marathoner or high level athletes sometimes have their period stopping, as well as women suffering from anorexia. I think both are because their body "thinks" it couldn't handle a pregnancy because it hasn't enough fat stored. You know, in case the tribe can't catch enough mammoths in the 9 coming months (darn paleolithic brain!). Anyway, that makes me wonder if the "puberty starting earlier" stats are linked to the increased obesity levels and weight in general amongst 1st-world children.

Andrea... :rotfl:

hollyinjapan
03-26-2012, 10:39 AM
My daughter has always been the drama queen, so it was hard to tell when it was hormones and when it wasn't. She does seem to have a happy-grumpy cycle though. I used to plot it on the calendar when she was younger, but then she mellowed out.

She's 13 now and still hasn't started "it" although it can't be far from now as the rest of her body physically is changing. We're pretty open around here (at least she and I are). But I have a harder time talking about bodies etc with my son. They do teach the birds and the bees from 5th grade here and he'll be in the 5th grade next year. So let's see if he comes home with any interesting questions. I think he'd rather crawl up under and rock and squirm than ask me! Because he knows I would answer him! LOL

scrappurple
03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
My daughter was a reader, so I marched to the Bible book store and picked out a great book that explained things, and we read it together. That helped a lot!

The funny thing (now) is that my younger daughter Molly is extremely private - she actually got her first period at Disneyland on her 13th birthday. She didn't tell me - she asked her older sister Kate for help. I didn't find out until FOUR MONTHS LATER! Oy. I had spasms of failing motherhood for a while over that one.

Same thing happened to my bff, except she hid the USED items in her drawer becasue she didn't want anyone to see them in the trash ... double "Oy". ;)

michellebatton
03-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Wow reading through this and you've all got me worried. My dd is just like that only she's always been that way! She has the hardest time accepting that she can't run the world and every little thing is such a big deal! At 5, I know she isn't near puberty yet, but I am terrified of when it does come!!

This is my 5 year old too - and reading this thread scares the heck out of me. I didn't think it could get WORSE! LOL

I told them that Aunt Flo was something that happens every month to women who are old enough to make babies. I had to tell them about Aunt Flo because they have no boundaries, and will barge into the bathroom whenever they like. :-/

no boundaries at my house either (even though we have had the privacy talk lol) so yes, I've had to explain to all three of my kids about that.

vivie
03-26-2012, 05:30 PM
My oldest is pretty level headed...had her period at 11...2nd DD is DRAMA QUEEN OF THE CENTURY. She is 12, had her period right when she turned 12. I was later but I guess i could find out if DH's sister was early. Anyway, DD2 is still drama queen and will probably be drama queen 50 years from now. We all decided this and know how to deal with her. Now the worse thing DD1 did was to slam doors and DH told her he'd take the door off the next time she did that. No one but me slams doors now...i'm pretty lucky the girls aren't so bad, smell bad sometimes, especially after zumba classes but they behave pretty ok, but then again, they probably realize i can out yell them and out talk them!!! heee heeee!

corrin
03-27-2012, 08:31 AM
oh dear - I'm so glad someone brought this up!! My 7.5yr old is such a drama queen now (for about a year now!), she uses phrases like "this is the worst day of my life" and "you are just trying to make me miserable" - comlete with tears and anguish!! We joke that she is just like a teenager because she can also be so very sweet, lovely and helpful - usually! But I know that we are only half joking, just aren't really sure what to do, she is going to be hideous as a teenager, but I think it has already started!

And for the meat issue - I am veggie, and my husband is not, so the kids are sort of hybrids!! They have a lot of veggie stuff, and mostly just chicken for meat, but veg these days are also "encouraged to grow plump and fleshy" with stuff, so I'm not sure that will hlep!

And I'd LOVE to know about that book too Julie, Ella loves to read, and I know I am going to struggle not to die of embarrasment when these quiestions come up - any help for that would be great!

hollyinjapan
03-27-2012, 10:48 AM
The funny thing (now) is that my younger daughter Molly is extremely private - she actually got her first period at Disneyland on her 13th birthday. I didn't find out until FOUR MONTHS LATER! Oy.

I didn't tell my own mom when I first got my period (around 12 1/2 I think). She was never approachable about anything private. She found out several months later because she walked in on me while I was washing my unders in the sink. When I was forced to tell her at that point she acted all thrilled and so supportive. I was kind of angry actually that she acted that way because she'd never once even had "the talk" with me. My sister was my sole source of any kind of "physical" information throughout the years.

I've sworn not to be such a prude with my own children. Even if I'm embarrassed I force myself to talk openly with them (when they have questions or when I think they should know).

juliesouthern
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
So, the embarrassing thing is that this all happened twenty years ago - and I have no idea what the name of the book was, LOL. I just know that I found it at a Family book store, sorry!

And for those of you in the throes of hormonal angst - they do eventually grow out of it ;) And then you get to get even by fanning yourself constantly, sticking your head in the freezer, and whining about how hot it is in here...

vivie
03-28-2012, 06:07 AM
We used the American Girl books:

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/thumbnail/id/247/uid/138

but i hear these are also good:

http://www.christianbook.com/faithgirlz-body-talk-nancy-rue/9780310712756/pd/712756?item_code=WW&netp_id=479104&event=HPT&view=details

Most important though: be sure to either read with them or talk about it afterwards. Its important that the girls realize YOU are open to them about ALL things (even if its embarrassing). It's hard enough when they are in this PRIVATE space so it shouldn't be harder still to talk to YOU.

corrin
03-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Although Atha did tell a little boy that Walter milks me like a cow, and Genny is fond of telling people that Walter came out of my butt- by which she means belly button, she gets that confused- because I had a c-section. *sigh*

When I pregnant with baby 2 and 3, my oldest used to talk to the baby through my belly button, and thinks that is how they come out! It was very cute at the time, but I gues she will wonder about that one of these days!!

mrsaboyer
03-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Well, especially when we've explained to them that the belly button is where they used to be attached to us.. It all gets jumbled up in their sweet little heads!