PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle help?

Charla
04-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Spinning off from Andrea's thread... ;)

I'm due for a haircut. I think I'm long overdue. This is probably the longest I've ever let it go.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/berekah_44/DSC_0536.jpg

Here's what I'm up against:

The front sections, and the top layer of the back, are wavy/frizzy. The back under that first layer is curly. And there's a lot of it. It's fine, but there's a lot of it.

I have a long face.

I don't have time in the morning to style it. Maybe 5 minutes. I just don't have the patience with it, even though now the kids are older.

DH likes it long. Well, it doesn't have to be THIS long, but longer than it was when we met ;) I told him I won't go shorter than my chin.

I always wear it up, so it doesn't look frizzy and unruly. But I want it shorter.

What would you do with me??? :giggle:

mrsaboyer
04-03-2012, 04:34 PM
EEK, I have a lot of similar problems, but my face is wide. DH got over my having it short. He liked it long, and I figured who do I have to impress but him.. but I hated it long. There's too much of it, it was hot, and this thick, fine hair just tangles up and becomes a rat's nest. I got the short bob, but.. I don't know if that would be the best cut for you because of your face shape and I think your hair is curlier than mine.

I realize this is uber styled, but what about a nice, loose layered bob like this?
http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/345016-49312-9.jpg (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/oblong-face-hairstyles.html)
This pic links to an article about haircuts for oblong faces, so that might help.

Charla
04-03-2012, 04:40 PM
If it looked like that I'd LOVE it!! But it's got so much body on its own I don't think I could pull that one off.
I typically go to get it done, asking the hairdressers for their thoughts. They always suggest layers...and then start working with my hair and deciding it would stick straight out with layers :giggle:

...maybe I shouldn't worry so much about that, since they keep talking about adding volume to the sides, which layers would DEFINITELY do!

wishingwellcreations
04-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Oh, Charla... you and I have similar hair, methinks. Last time I let a stylist add layers -- OMG -- I looked like a mushroom. I cut it to just below chin-length that time, and with the layers and the length... gah... it was awful. I thought I was going to lose my mind, b/c I couldn't just pull it back into a ponytail until it grew out. Long, long 2 months or so...

I need answers in this thread, too. My hair's been basically one length (no bangs) and anywhere from chin/shoulder length to about 4-6 inches longer than that... for... evah. Since college. And it just dawned on me in the past week or two that I have been out of college for... well... a long time. Yikes.

Bottom line, I need a change, too. And everything Charla said applies to me... except I think hers is a little more wavy/frizzy than mine (probably due to the red... mine is more medium/dark brown, and while thick... it's not usually that frizzy unless humid).

OK... people... ready? GO! Help Charla and I look fab! :grin:

chloe
04-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I looked like a mushroom

:rotfl:

Pamie
04-03-2012, 05:01 PM
So I generally have thin, slightly wavy hair but without nearly the texture you have, Charla. But because there's so dang much of it, the stylist always uses thinning shears to strip out some of the bulk and make the layers fall flatter. Has anyone ever tried that on your hair? The other thing I might suggest is some product that could potentially curl the wavy top layer a little more (while you let it air dry - so no work) and would blend better with the curl underneath? Then the layers in the adorable cut Andrea suggested might work better.

I usually get a cute haircut and then wait so long between cuts that the stylist can hardly recognize what she did last time. My avie is the day of my last haircut back in December. And I'm wondering if women nearing 40 should wear bangs because I'm thinking it would be cheaper than the wrinkle cream I am starting to need to cover the lines in my forehead...

Nathalie
04-03-2012, 05:02 PM
I know yuor problems, I have the same - although my hair is frizzy throughout :( Recently I went for a short bob, just chin length, shorter than my avatar shows (which is the hair cut before). The shorter haircuts are definitely more work than long hair. But usually it is only a lot of work when I wash my hair - I then have to blow dry and straighten it. In the following mornings I don't have to do that much, brush and maybe use the straightener here and there. Totally do-able in under 5 minutes. The key to the layers is, to not have layers go to high, only layers at the tips of the hair. The thing with the short hair is though: If you have a bad hair day, you cannot simply put your hair up - there is no variety. But I have been told by many that I look so much better with the short hair. My hairdresser is a champ, she knows what she doing and she was the first to acknowledge that my hair is thick and there is so much of it, she understands how hard it is to maintain it.

cardinalskate
04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I am so bad at giving hairstyle advice. I have straight boring hair. I wear it up in a ponytail just about every single day. I had it really cute and short last summer, but yeah, that was a lot of work. I just don't care enough to do my hair every morning. Maybe I should, but I don't. I've never flat-ironed my hair, and I've only blow-dried it maybe 10 times in my whole life. I just don't mess with it.

juliesouthern
04-04-2012, 12:48 PM
I have always had bangs because I have a gigantic forehead and a long face. But my hair is straight, so I don't have any idea how to translate to curly hair. I just know that if my hair gets more than an inch or so past my chin, it's not flattering. And don't look so great in shorter hair, either. Thus, the same haircut for forty years or so, LOL

wildblueeyez
04-04-2012, 01:26 PM
my only advice is to go somewhere that's a little more pricey - usually the beauticians there have more training and experience than Fantastic Sams, Cost Cutters, etc. which are usually training grounds for newly licensed beauticians.

I actually broke down and got a hair cut at Phillip Peluce in our local mall - I think it cost me about $42 for a dang cut. after explaining my hair and it's quirks, telling them the length I like, where my part is vs. where they want it to be (grr! my biggest gripe at salons), her touching and looking at my hair texture, I got a cut that was nearly perfect for me.

Then I was able know exactly what I wanted and was able to find someone at a good, been around for a while, local salon who cuts my hair nearly perfect every time! In fact, she dry cuts it now because I once told her that I go home and wash, dry and re-style it after a cut. I even have her cell phone number so that if she's not working and I need a cut, I can call her. I've been going to her for 2 years now. that's the absolute longest I've ever gone to someone and I don't come home now complaining about the cut.

so that's my advice! :)

alamama
04-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Does your hairdresser have any suggestions?
For me it took me a LONG time to find someone who could cut my hair right. Then she moved out of state! AGGGHH! Now I have a guy who has hair like mine. (Yes, youi get the picture.) So he knows how to cut it.

Maybe trying some products out would help.
For my frizz I use Fruitis (sp?) anti-frizz serum. Which helps.
If I blow dry my hair, the blow dryer is always faced down not up like they tend to do at the hair dressers.

I love that style in the above photo.
Good luck to you.

Charla
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Julie, I know what you mean. I always end up with the same basic cut.
Ditto, Kate. I always felt like blowing it dry was the biggest possible waste of time. It does it on its OWN!!! :crazy: I'm low-maintenance and think my hair ought to be, too ;)

Good point about not being able to put short hair up, Nathalie.

Pamie, I think hairdressers have tried those shears before. It helps!

:giggle: about the mushroom, Laura!!
When I was living in Turkey, I went to get my hair done for a fancy dinner. I didn't want my hair cut, but the hairdresser convinced me it would look gorgeous.
That night, it was incredible. I saw more people's jaws drop to the floor than ever before (or since ;) )
but from the next day on, it was horrible. No amount of time and energy got it looking even decent, let alone good!! I didn't look like a mushroom but not much different ;)

sinead
04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
If you have curly hair, embrace the curls! You should try something called "Plopping." (Not sure how this would work for hair shorter than shoulder-length, but it works good for that length and longer!)

--wash hair as normal. (And by the way, if you have curly hair, you should consider seriously cutting out or cutting WAY back on shampooing. I almost never shampoo my hair, though I condition it daily. You should also not use products with silicone or sulfates.)
--Don't slap a towel on your head and try to rub out the wet hair. Lay out a long-sleeved t-shirt or microfiber shirt. Put your dripping wet hair over the middle of the shirt. Spray on some gel spray (I use Mr. Right from Deva) and put the shirt onto your head. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r54bdlLwXnI
--Go on about your morning routine, taking the t-shirt off your head when you're ready to head out.

Voila! Lovely curls and much less frizz! :D

Charla
04-04-2012, 02:42 PM
That's awesome, Sinead. I think I'm ready to start that, because I don't think my hair is healthy, and I would like to let the curls do what they want to :D (I probably will only cut it about to my shoulders anyhow!)

glumirk
04-04-2012, 03:09 PM
That's awesome, Sinead. I think I'm ready to start that, because I don't think my hair is healthy, and I would like to let the curls do what they want to :D (I probably will only cut it about to my shoulders anyhow!)

Do what she says. I have been following that girl's videos for awhile and they have made a huge difference in my hair, and I spend a lot less. If you have frizzy hair it's just screaming out for moisture.

And bonus, with just a trim and starting to wear it curly, you'll have a whole new hairstyle that you will get constant compliments on.

sinead
04-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Exactly!! My hair has never been better since I embraced the curl. ;)

juliesouthern
04-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Well now I wish I had curly hair ;)

chloe
04-04-2012, 04:59 PM
LOL Julie, me too.

Actually I wish I had hair, period. Thanks to my crappy hormones, that also stop me from being pregnant, I'm almost as bald as my dad. And I have the same beard as him too, but that's another story! LOL Seriously, my hair is so thin you can see my skin underneath. Right now I have it pretty long, which is not a style, just laziness since I haven't been to the hairdresser since about forever. It grows pretty easily in length, it's just the quantity that is an issue. I really don't know what to do with it.

stevens89
04-04-2012, 05:06 PM
I wish I had curly hair....

Mine just hangs long and straight and flat. And I haven't had my hair cut in ages, so it has no style whatsoever. I have major hair envy.

Like Luann I would also recommend spending slightly more on a hair cut and getting it how you like it. If you're anything like me, it will last a long time and you will feel you've had your money's worth :lol: I generally spend around 30-35 on my hair, which i guess is around the $40 mark.

cardinalskate
04-04-2012, 05:11 PM
After trying and trying to explain to her regular hairstylist how she wanted her hair cut, a woman at work went to a really pricey salon once and got her hair cut just perfectly. She promptly went to her regular salon and had her stylist see exactly how it was cut so she'd be able to do it. (Now that I think about it, I don't know if it's rude or not, but she did go somewhere that was a little pricey first, so that tell you something, maybe.)

chloe
04-04-2012, 05:33 PM
I too tried several salons before finding the good hairdresser for me. He's specialized in finding the good cut for your face shape and hair nature, and he was able to work with my requirements perfectly. I really need to go back and see him! LOL

Charla
04-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Sinead, trying your system today (minus the spray-in gel...I'll need to get that).
If I go with not shampooing daily, how long until it levels off and doesn't look horribly greasy?? I know shampoo strips oils out, but I also know what my hair looks like when I don't wash it daily!!

sinead
04-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Does it still do that if you get it wet and condition it, Charla? My curls always look better on the 2nd day than on the first.

Charla
04-05-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure. Today's the first day I tried no shampoo but conditioner. It looks great...not super curly but calmer than usual. Maybe it's just been stripped and that's why it always looked wild on top!!!

cardinalskate
04-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I would think simply getting it wet would keep it from getting too oily. I'm excited to see how it works out for you (my straight hair and I are living vicariously through you), so stick with it!

glumirk
04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Sinead, trying your system today (minus the spray-in gel...I'll need to get that).
If I go with not shampooing daily, how long until it levels off and doesn't look horribly greasy?? I know shampoo strips oils out, but I also know what my hair looks like when I don't wash it daily!!

Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhhCWDMiRnY&feature=relmfu) with a lot of good info on this hair method. Most people say that it takes 2-6 weeks for your hair to even out, but I got my first compliment from an old friend after just 2 days. I had been wearing my hair curly before, but it was being weighed down by all of the silicones I was putting in it. My products weren't really that bad, and my hair was ok, but adding in moisture and taking out sulfates and silicones made a huge difference for me.

Here is another video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DilMn2upSSM&feature=plcp&context=C46a0123VDvjVQa1PpcFPP8mTqNPsYomf-QRYJnEnN5Kx-0nHgA-Y=) where she links to a lot of parts of her particular routine. She and I have similar curls, so my method is pretty similar. I use Suave Naturals as a conditioner wash, Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine conditioner as a rinse out (but not completely, it gives me great moisture!), and then some LA Looks Gel. The sport gel is good, but I just found their Nutra Curl gel and I love it! I also just found the Kinky Curly Knot Today at Target (in the "ethnic" section...) and it's amazing.

Your curls don't look as tight as mine, so you will probably find that your routine will be different. The alternate to frizz is always moisture though, and the wetter your hair is when you put your product in, the more natural your curls will form together, instead of frizz.