PDA

View Full Version : External Drives

holly
06-14-2005, 05:28 PM
To those that have them, can you let me know what you have? I'm in the market to get one and trying to decide what might be best. I want it to help backup my photo work that I'm working on until I finish it and get it burned to CD, etc.

Vania16
06-14-2005, 05:32 PM
I have a Western Digital 120GB and I really like it - I use it to store all my scrapping "supplies." You might check out Circuit City - they have it on sale for $70 this week :)

holly
06-14-2005, 06:25 PM
WOW! $70! Dang!

~~Andie~~
06-14-2005, 09:12 PM
I have a fantom 250 gig HD i got at MacMall for $156 (i think)

three-cowboys
06-14-2005, 09:15 PM
I have a Fantom 160 from MacMall also. About $100.

Linda

KimMauch
06-14-2005, 11:39 PM
I have the same one as Lisa and it works great!

Kim

Laura_A
06-15-2005, 07:07 AM
I have the same as Lisa.. a Western Digital 120GB... and I can't believe how cheap it was on sale! Grrrr.. I paid $180 for mine!

MarshaZepeda
06-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Western Digital 256 gig... from Best Buy. It was kinda pricey (not on sale) but worth it! :D

holly
06-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Dang! Everyone has these!!!! So cool!!!!

SAHMom
06-15-2005, 09:53 PM
No idea what mine is, but it's the best investment I ever made I think!! LOVE IT!!

holly
06-15-2005, 10:25 PM
I'm wanting to wait until after I get a laptop - which may be a few months...I want to hold out!

~~Andie~~
06-15-2005, 10:30 PM
I agree...the best investment ever!

What kind of Lap top are you goingn to get? I *heart* mine

holly
06-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Well, I would love a MAC, but I have all PC software, so I'd hate to add that investment on to it. My dream is the Dell XPS, but we'll see! HA!

~~Andie~~
06-15-2005, 10:34 PM
nice! I love my mac. i was wary at 1st about switching over bc of all my software too

noralong
07-11-2005, 02:54 PM
I have one too. It helps keep my regular hd from bogging down. I have western digital, 80G, but it isn't big enough! I neeeeeed more! Beware of Circuit City's "rebates." Most people don't actually get any money from them. Just figure on the full price, and you won't be disappointed!

You know the really cool thing about the externals, is that you can unplug them, and no one can hack into it. Super safe! And, if you live in a area where you have to be ready to move in short notice (hurricanes, fires, that sort of thing), you can just grab your external, and not lose any precious information. The bonus is that it is just one thing, so you don't have to worry that you got all the cd's, zips or floppys, and you don't have to rescue your tower!

misty
07-11-2005, 08:34 PM
I've got two ... Maxtor One Touch ... 120 and 200 GB. Picked em up at Staples. They're old. Think I may get another. Maxtor ... great service ... unlike DELL ... the cs rep spoke English, didn't read from a script, and knew the product in and out. Sorry ... I'm PMSing ... don't get me started on DELL CS. More info ... maxtor.com.

Anyway, best investment I've made. We recently went down to the beach and stupid me (old habits die hard) was copying everything to CDs so I could take stuff with me when my 10 year old says "Mom, just unplug the hard drive and let's go already." Duh! Then he proceeded to get on the phone and tell my father basically how stupid I was. lmao. You know, kids today are so smart. He's surpassed me ... have to give myself some credit ... I was the one teaching him at 3 how to install printers and troubleshoot 'em. Oy, I digress.

Crsttt
07-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I finally just today got an external drive! Yea!!!! I got a 300gb Maxtor and am in the process of transfering all my digi stuff over to it since I am completly our of room on my internal hard drive. I can not wait to actually get some more digi scrappin done!!!!!

holly
07-20-2005, 07:43 PM
yay! Christy!!!

rh_scrapbooker
07-20-2005, 08:12 PM
I have a 120GB Maxtor Drive.

And boy is it saving my butt today - I just got the "Imminent Hard Drive Failure" warning from my primary (internal) hard drive.

So I'm hurriedly backing up the files that haven't been backed up (we did a major backup 10 days ago), and then I'll shut down my computer. DH is bringing home a new internal hard drive, we'll install it, I get to install all the programs again, then put the files back on.

Rachel

Vania16
07-20-2005, 08:16 PM
So here's my external hard drive question of the day: I run photoshop off of my external drive (because I have the world's oldest and slowest computer LOL) so I'm wondering if I hook my external up to another computer, say at my in-laws' house, if photoshop will leave things on their hard drive or if I can just unplug my external again and leave their machine in the same state I found it. Does that make sense? Anyone know? I can't tell on my internal hard drive due to all the junk on it . . . but I'd love to take photoshop "on the road" :)

candeewrapz
08-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Lets say you are tired of waiting for Externals going on sale. YOu can make your own external hard drive with a internal hard drive and a enclosure case. Most places always have the internals on sale (more selection and more bang for your buck basically. Buy a 3 1/2 internal hard drive and a enclosure case and plug the hard drive into enclosure plug . The enclosure case has a usb connected to it and voila. I found a website that told you how to do it. Real simple. Cheaper too. You can get a case for 10 bucks on ebay and the hard drives real cheap off ebay or at your regular store. They usually run more sales on the internals.

amert
08-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Oh..now I cant wait to get one! My interent computer guy came over to find out why i couldnt get on the net....stupid trojans..but he told me that i could even just run everything of my external and use my internal as a back-up..anyone do this?
Amy

DragonFly
08-25-2005, 12:33 AM
I want to get this too...for my sbing stuff and games.

I have one game that is to big for my puter or its to "powerful" for my video card..one of the two.

I had a similar question (mine about the game) as Vania16 about PhotoShop.

TIA,

You're the first group I've seen talking about these..so glad I popped in when I did...=)

Jane
08-30-2005, 07:59 AM
I want one of these too! Does everyone just use it to store things or can you install a program on it? Say.... a newer version of PSE!
Our Dell is not old but didn't come with much storage.

Jane
09-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Did anyone see my previous post question?

Vania16
09-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Not until just now Jane - sorry - but yes, you can install programs on it. My old laptop had the same problem and I ran PS and PSP off of my external harddrive - worked just fine.

amtad
09-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Great info here ladies ... I've told hubby that an external is on my list for Christmas. I want it to be a one time thing ... no getting one to small, having to go back ... that kind of thing.

How many of you have a "portable" external vs. a regular external. I know that all are portbale but I've read that those deemed "portable" are geared to be moved around from computer to computer more so than a regular external. Any thoughts on that?

SarahJ
10-11-2005, 10:19 PM
okay, so dh bought me a 200gb external (which we could not afford LOL) for my bday. now what?

what should i do to make the computer run faster? should i install psp and pse on the external, will that help? i already moved all my scrapbook stuff over, which was 20gb, but that is all i put on there so far. man, was it scary to delete that file off the existing hard drive once i copied it!

you all were saying it is so great, i want it to be great here! :) psp is still as slow as ever!

lisahoo
10-11-2005, 11:48 PM
I've got a Maxtor 80 GB -- I think it was about $60. Looking back, I wish I would have gotten a 120 GB.

Maxtor also has a "one touch" version that you can use to back up your PC -- that is really important for someone like you who has a business that depends on your computer. (Kind of like having insurance on your home.)

One thing to keep in mind is that any magnetic media (i.e., HDD, diskettes, etc.) will degrade over time and use. For long-term storage, you should also make a backup with optical media (CD's & DVD's -- the non-rewriteable kind).

To take it to the next level, you should also store those backups offsite (think about Katrina; all those CD's of family photos are likely lost).

If you don't have files on your computer that you depend on for your business, you still probably have some sort of 'irreplaceable' files. Even if you don't archive your layouts, at the very least, burn CD's of your family photos. The ones that are digital only, the ones you have scanned, all of them.

Once the CD's are made, it is really easy to make 2 copies of each one. Then take those CD's and give them to an out of town family member or friend? Why 2 copies? One to stash away for you in case you ever need it and one copy for them to enjoy!! (I just did this with photos of DD, and my mother in law was thrilled!!)

Ok, I meandered off topic a bit -- thanks for the soapbox!!

catwoman
10-12-2005, 01:30 AM
I was looking for an external hard drive a while ago myself, but I stumbled upon external hard drive enclosures. I think this is the way to go, especially if you have a couple of old hard drives lying around not doing anything (like me!) You plug in your internal hard drives, and voila! they become external USB hard drives. You can also pick up internal hard drives alot cheaper than external ones. I know you can buy a 200G Maxtor for about $120 Cdn. I've seen on some US websites 80Gb hard drives for about $39 US as well.

If you're interested, here is a link so you can see what the external hard drive enclosures are:

http://http://shop2.outpost.com/{Qyhw9CpVlADpBiR5owfw54qmIOFKI0YWpNvgTssubctC4dWp0 uH1|1893574663667029864/184095267/6/7001/7001/7002/7002/7001/-1|-4224527274218871456/184095266/6/7001/7001/7002/7002/7001/-1|1126723828454}/product/4416686

catwoman
10-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Sorry, that link didn't work, I guess its too long.

Try this:

http://shop2.outpost.com/

Then under the PC Computers tab, select

computer components
cases
external enclosures
3.5" USB enclosures

There are a few there.

I suppose if you also google external hard drive enclosures you should be able to find quite a bit of information on them.

Hope this helps you....