PDA

View Full Version : Lighting...

MarshaZepeda
06-16-2005, 12:43 PM
So what does everyone use for lighting? I want to buy some lights but with everything that's available out there, I'm getting more and more confused... (not to mention BROKE! lol!) I got this link from another forum and am considering trying it out... has anyone ever done this before?
http://www.photoflexlightingschool.com/index.html

CraftTeaLady
06-16-2005, 01:54 PM
I have an external flash and then I want to get the boot, oh what is that thing called.... hold on...it's called the Light Sphere II.

I don't know if I am allowed to post a site? It doesn't have elements or things like that -

(HOLLY) if you have to edit this - I understand!

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3354218&showprevnext=1

Angela
06-18-2005, 09:15 AM
I use natural light.

Crsttt
06-18-2005, 11:14 AM
I mostly use natural light but recently bought a sppedlight flash and the Light sphere. My husband bought me a whole lighting set up for Christmas but they were more like for stage lighting then photography so we returned them and I was supposed to replace them with something else. I did a bunch of reasearch and was going to go with a lighting set up from Photoflex but they are a little pricey. So now I think I have settled on an Alienbee. I have heard great things about them now to just get my cheap but in gear and order it.

I do have the 5 in one reflector thingy mabob(yes that's the technical term.lol) fromPhotoflex that I love I think I may invest in a stand for it and a smaller one as well but i have never taken their classes I will have to checkout the site more.

Christy

holly
06-18-2005, 11:17 AM
I have a Speedlight 550 and a LightSphere II for my camera, but am investigating Alien Bees lights for studio lighting. I need it definitely.

CraftTeaLady
06-18-2005, 12:49 PM
I gotta get me a Lightsphere II!

KristyAnn
06-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I use natural light mainly. I had seen on another site about using the "workmens/construction' lights ...utility lights they use in houses, so I ran out and got one, but it is a bit harsh. I would love to look in to Alien Bees though. My favorite light toy is my big circle reflector with gold on one side and silver on the other -- it helps out so much getting light on your subject. And.... it zips up into a cool pouch. It reminds me of a car shade, only big and round.

holly
06-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Kristy, where did you get it?

Crsttt
06-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Kristy I have one of those too and love it. It is made by Photoflex it's called a 5 in 1 or something like that. I got mine at a not so local camera store. I got a fairly large one and think I may get a smaller one and a stand as well. I thought it would be fine without one but it is pretty diffucult to get it wherre you need it unless you have a willing helper. LOL

I used the gold side one day playing around and I thought the effect was pretty cool.

Holly, I bet B&H probably sells them.

Christy

KristyAnn
06-26-2005, 09:55 PM
I got it online on ebay... which was much cheaper. Here is a similar one from Alien Bees. Mine isn't this fancy, but similar.

http://www.alienbees.com/crk42.html

I love it! you can lean it up against things or have another person hold it.

The silver gives a really funky look....its kind of cold like in the Lord of Rings Movies.

holly
06-26-2005, 10:06 PM
I'mg etting ready to put up a photography board in the gallery, would love to see what a pic looks like with it!

KristyAnn
06-26-2005, 10:48 PM
Holly---

I found the gallery (yeah) and posted some. These were just done outside playing around, but I bet with your set up and good lights, you could do so much with it. The one Christy mentioned and I linked to has a stand (so you don't need someone to hold it). I would love to see what everyone does with it. I need new ideas.

http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=491

holly
06-26-2005, 10:51 PM
These are great!!! I might have to get this!

Crsttt
06-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Ok I posted 2 of my Nephew one using the gold side and the other using the white.

Christy

holly
06-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Wow Christy! I'm sold!

~~Andie~~
06-27-2005, 01:23 PM
yup I'll be getting that too! I have only used natural light. i need a backdrop standand some back drops though

Tanya
07-12-2005, 09:31 AM
i prefer and now only use natural and available light come winter though I'll be using an SB800 speedlight to add fill

katejakobs
12-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I use a Smith Victor set. 3 tungstens, 2 umbrellas, and barn doors. I'm just now getting some good practice with it all (thank goodness for PS... that's all I can say!!)