PDA

View Full Version : chicks who get published.... ? for ya!

ScrapHappyME!
06-25-2005, 09:43 AM
How are you guys submitting? I've submitted to CK's Fresh Faces two times through e-mail now and....nada. I'd like to think my work isn't THAT bad. LOL! Should I be printing them out and sending them via snail mail? It's just bugs the heck out of me that in every issue they say something like ..."...did you know 90% of our readers have never been publishes..." Well, you aren't giving this reader a chance! Sorry, don't mean to vent. Back to the question at hand; how are YOU guys submitting and getting your calls?

THANKS CHICKIES! :D

~~Andie~~
06-25-2005, 10:19 AM
i actually do a mixture of both e-mails and online through the mag website.
Your work is great. Mags tend to have favorites....and trust me I'm not one of them! I've been submitting for over a year and got my first call a couple months ago. Persisitace and paitientice! Good luck

holly
06-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I've NEVER been picked up by CK and started to just not send to them. Andie's right - some have their favs!!!! But, do you submit to all?

KimMauch
06-25-2005, 12:06 PM
I have been called for a fair amount of layouts over the last 6 months (about 20 total - all digital!), for all major mags EXCEPT PK. I submit a lot!!! I always use the web forms at magazines sites, for those that have them. I have also had layouts picked up using scrap submit. I am more than willing to offer my advice from what I have learned about submitting and being published thus far... for what it is worth. :D Let me know what kinds of questions you have.

Kim

KimMauch
06-25-2005, 12:10 PM
I forgot to add: There are tons and tons of people submitting (TONS!), so never take it personally if you don't get chosen. Each layout
you submit may be "competing" againt hundreds of other equally good layouts. So, it is never that you aren't good enough, it's just that the competition is so stiff. (This coming from a person who was SO devestated that I didn't get a call for BH sketches that I had to leave work early!!!) :wink:

Kim

Laura_A
06-25-2005, 06:25 PM
I've used ScrapSubmit for about a year now and have had some success with Scrapbook Trends, Cantata Books, CorrespondenceART and Nan C. & Co., but nothing in any of the major mags yet. From what I've learned, it's REALLY tough to get into CK... partly because of the gazzillion people trying to get in and partly because, once they've used all their faves, there's not much room left for the "fresh faces". Just keep submitting... EVERYTHING.. 'cause you never know what they'll be looking for.

SAHMom
06-26-2005, 02:55 PM
When you are submitting, is it usually something you DON'T put in a public gallery? Or do you just remove it later? I pretty much upload everything I make.. :wink: except for the things I can't properly credit something on, and then I wouldn't submit those either for the same reason.

KristyAnn
06-26-2005, 03:45 PM
I only started getting bites for publishing once I got doing digital and really started submitting a ton (4 picked up so far) but .....here is the funny thing. The one they picked up for the becky sketch book --- was totally not one I ever thought they would want. So, definitely, send in everything, even if it is not one of your favorites.

As for fresh faces -- I was thinking the same thing!

I have heard a lot of mixed discussions on submitting, so I try to send mine through their website/email direct when I can. I love scrapsubmit for ease of keeping track of things, wish we could use it for everything.

You ladies work is so awesome though, I wish I could see more of it in the mags :)

KimMauch
06-26-2005, 08:56 PM
I put everything in my gallery that I create, unless it is for a specific call (BH sketches, etc.). I then remove any that I get called for. I LOVE posting my layouts to galleries and usually post immediately after I am done.

Kim :D

ScrapHappyME!
06-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Thanks for all the replies ladies!

My couple of submits were to CK. I am starting to dislike them (shhhh don't tell!) because I too notice they have favorites. Why not give others a chance you know?!

Side note: How cute is everyone's avatars? I love 'em! ;)

thequeenofquirk
07-08-2005, 02:03 PM
also, you NEVER know what they are really looking for. and i think sometimes the more specific a call, the better your chances. like i got my first toot for women's day for their "old, bad photos" call. after a year of submitting, i finally got a bite. you just never know. and i only use scrapsubmit. i should probably branch out more. LOl

three-cowboys
07-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Gosh, I'm the one hit wonder (my DH calls me David Cassidy), so I really have nothing to add to this, except that I like to talk a lot... LOL!

My first page ever sent to CK got picked up. And honestly I'm not sure why because they are not quite my thing. I'm more of a SS type person. That said, I've submitted a ton of stuff to them in the past four months or so, and haven't had anything picked up. So who knows what they are looking for?

It's like Kim said, there are a ton of people submitting, and I do bet they have their faves (apparently not me).

And I was feeling really crummy about SS, especially after Digi Scrap#4 calls, but I've decided to just let it be!! Can't take this all too seriously or personally. In the end it's all just photo and paper, right? In our cases, not even paper! LOL!

ScrapHappyME!
07-08-2005, 02:48 PM
tee hee "one hit wonder"

Hey, it's better then no hits at all! If just been to lazy lately to submit.... and I am shying away from CK because they are mean and won't return my e-mails. LOL kidding.... :D

thequeenofquirk
07-08-2005, 04:05 PM
haha. that's what i'll be, too. a one hit wonder. LOL

Leora
07-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I know for a fact that the big wigs DO have their faves...one of them is on the Chatterbox DT with me. And though I do think that MOST of what she gets picked up is deserving, there are a few pgs I have said "HUH?!" BUT she is super talented (a HOF winner) and I am not trying to be negative..I just wonder how many LOs get looked over b/c they pick LOs submitted by ppl they know first.

I have been published a handful of times, mostly in Scrapbook Trends and Correspondance Art, although I do have an accent that I made that will appear in BHG. I personally prefer to go directly through the mag vs. scrapsubmit, but there is certainly nothing wrong with scrapsubmit...that is just my preference. I have never had a digital LO published, but I have just started submitting them so I guess we will see.

As for the Fresh Face call, just imagine how many ppl are submitting for it and they only feature ONE per mag SO it is very difficult to get picked up for that and has NOTHING to do with you not being "good enough." Just keep submitting and your time will come! :)

GEEZ..I wrote a novel..sorry girls!

Leora
07-10-2005, 04:18 PM
and Jan..you will *not* be a one hit wonder....you are gonna go FAR!!!! ;)

misty
07-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Wow! Lots of great advice ... like 3-cowboys I'm not sure I have much to add but for some reason lately I've been rather talkative ... so here's my take ...

- Submit, submit, submit - to me it's a numbers game. Sooner or later you'll get picked. It happened to me when I least expected it ... 6 months after I submitted a layout. Go figure.

- Submit everything - you just never know what they're looking for.

- I think there's a better chance of being published with a digital layout. It's what worked for me. Besides, it's so easy to submit ... just e-mail it ... no boxing it up and having to head to the post office with little ones in tow.

- I think the odds are better with Idea Books because there is more space to fill vs. a monthly mag. Clear as mud?

- Submit to all of the mags. That said, my fav is SS. I just love their style.

Personally, I'm taking a break from submitting ... gasp ... perhaps the thrill is gone. I guess I was slightly disappointed after not getting picked up for SS digi 4 but hey it's someone else's turn and there's LOTS OF TALENT out there and so many cool layouts.

Disclaimer: I'm by no means an expert on the subject and have only had a handful picked up.

paula_duncan
07-12-2005, 02:36 AM
Well I'm the man out again! I have no idea what scrapsubmit is and I am not overly interested in getting published. My LO's are for me and for my family when I'm gone. That is why I do this...but I guess it wouldn't be so bad to be published. I just don't want to go through all the motions of sending in to all the different mags and getting no response. It would be too disappointing. I like the praise I get in the galleries. That is my publication!

Kate Teague
08-27-2005, 01:38 AM
I say submit LOTS!! And just keeping plugging away- I think on average I submit 50-60 times per month- maybe more/less but it is a lot- I send stuff in to every CK/BHG call that I see. Yes, it isa lot of work but it has rewarded me with calls. I also don't necessarily it'sa favourites thing with CK or other mags but more ofa working relationship. After they have picked you up afew times you get to knoe some of the editors and they become more familiar with your work and they say- ohh so and so she always sends her completed supply forms back fast or she is very professional too work iwth- it's a big business to them and when they find people that work well with them it's good all around. Submitting is a big job- and a big pain a lot of the time but the more you send in the more they become familiar with your name/work and the more they see that you really want to work for them. At least that has been my experience.
There are soooooooooo many amazingly talented digi scrappers out there too- soooooooooo many right here- it blows me away! So keep on keepin on!

KimMauch
08-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Excellent advice, Kate. I see your pages in the mags a lot - it is good to know your process. Also good to know that you submit A LOT, because I do, too and I was starting to wonder if that was ok.

Kim

suzy
08-28-2005, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the advice Kate. The only problem is I dont have 50 to 60 layouts to submit each month. I havent even completed that many layouts in the 6 months I have been scrapping. Do you submit the same layouts month after month, or are they all new ones? Also, I have submitted to both Australian and American magazines and have received an email from the Australian mags if my layouts are not accepted for a particular call. Can I expect that from American mags as well? It sounds as if people arent hearing anything from them. If not I expect that is probably because they receive hundreds of layouts whereas the Australian ones probably dont receive as many.

Kate Teague
09-29-2005, 02:07 AM
I think I do maybe 20 pages per month- but send them off about 2-3 times each- that's the 50 or so. Some months I do only 10-15 pages. I scrap a lot- I can't really help myself- addicted? perhaps ;) But I love it like crazy! I also think entering the big contests really helps too- they know you are interested and can see how closely you follow assignments.

frankcassiesmom
10-06-2005, 10:36 PM
okay guys you are the perfect people to answer my questions!!

I think this is my first post here too :)

1. Do you submit mostly to calls or do you submit to the general calls?

And the big one for me -
2. Do you submit the same LO to different mags at the same time? Like if I sent layout "Juicy Bottom (LOL)" to CK can I submit it to MM knowing chances are like one in a bazillion they will atke both? or not?

Please all you super published ladies shed some light for me. I have asked in other forums but never get the answer for some bizarro reason.

Thanks
Kim

KimMauch
10-06-2005, 11:51 PM
I submit mostly to calls, and of those calls mostly to idea book calls (not regular magazine issues).

I do submit to more than one mag at a time and I have done this a lot. I have had it happen a few times where I get a call for a layout that is already taken. Magazines aren't upset about this unless they specifically request that you don't submit elsewhere.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have more questions.

Kim M

amandagale
10-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Gina - I'm so glad you posted this question - I've been wanting to know the same things!

Thanks for all the helpful tips ladies! :)

Amanda