PDA

View Full Version : Scanners?

SAHMom
06-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Any fabulous scanners I need to know about? I'm about to begin my research and ultimate purchase as I need to scan in TONS of photos pre-digi cam days.
Thanks!

holly
06-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Gosh...I just have a cheapy one now that I do all digital mostly! LOL

~~Andie~~
06-26-2005, 07:12 PM
i love my Epson 3170

Becky
06-26-2005, 07:28 PM
I've got an HP Scanjet 3570c that doesn't do too bad. I would like to get a larger format scanner, though, since I do occasionally have to scan 12x12 paper pages.

noralong
07-11-2005, 02:42 PM
techno geek here, on my 3rd scanner! I do have a few little hints to help you. I have gone from super inexpensive to top of the line, and really, middle of the road is best. I bought the microtek scanner you see in the scrapbooking mags, you know the one that "repairs" all your photos. Well, it is a good scanner, and fast, but all the "repair" options are a waste of money. You have better controll with your photo editing programs, and the ones that come with the middle of the road scanners are pretty good! My favorite was an HP scanner. I really loved that one (DH inherited it when I got my microtek). Also, don't get an office all in one kind of deal, you really need a flat bed scanner, espicially if you are putting your precious older photos into it!

Next, you probably don't need this tip, but I am handing it out any way, since I learned the hard way. Always scan your photos at the highest out put you can, and the best resolution you can. You can always make your files smaller later, but you can't add in the missing detail later. I always scan my photos (now) at 2000% and save in tiff. This makes really large files, but it is worth it if you love the photos, or wont have future access to them.

Last, about transparency adapters. Most scanners seem to have them built in now, which is really cool. Iscanned all our family slides, and found my childhood! Any way, if you are going to scan a lot of negatives and slides, invest in a transparency scanner (my next purchase) that will scan your transparency without the glass in front of it, it makes all the difference in the world.

SAHMom
07-11-2005, 03:03 PM
Wow, thanks, Nora, for all your tips!!

paula_duncan
07-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah those are great tips because I have tones of film shots that I want to scan too. Plus I'm still slow and don't have a digital camera....lol. I think a scanner might be more in affordable right now. Since I don't want to skimp when I do get a camera.

sweetmindy
07-15-2005, 09:24 PM
I need a scanner desperately. Thank you all for the tips

suzy
07-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Thank you so much for the tips Nora. I have been bugging dh for months to buy me a scanner and still nothing. I might have to do get him to buy it as a Christmas present or something. Not holding my breath though - I am still waiting for the compact digital camera he promised me for mothers day!!!!

~~Andie~~
07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
i have a Epson 3170 photo and it does an awesome job....can even scan negatives and slides!

SAHMom
07-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Update - Just bought the Epson Perfection 4180 Photo! Happy Anniversary to me! LOL
Don't have it plugged up yet, but will report back with my results (yeah, as if you won't see a zillion new layouts with old photos now) ;)

happyrobyn
07-27-2005, 12:48 AM
Can't wait to see those layouts!!!!

rh_scrapbooker
07-27-2005, 11:34 AM
I should be getting the Epson 4970 Photo here in the next three months or so. We have so many large format, medium format, and odd sized format negatives to scan that we have to go for something that can handle everything, without going to the professional level financially.

Rachel