PDA

View Full Version : Sob. "Error parsing tiff file."

lizj
11-11-2013, 08:44 PM
I had to hard shut down my Mac today, which I have never had to do before. Right before that, I had closed out of a tiff file on PSE11, and closed PSE11. Now, when I try to open the tiff file I get "could not complete your request due to a problem parsing the tiff file." Wahhh! I can see my pretty little lo in my document folder, but I can't open it! Naturally, it was a lo with a lot of very labor-intensive detail work, and many, many edited photos.

:cry::curses::tantrum::thud:

Any hope of salvaging my beautiful tiff file? Anyone got wisdom on this issue?

Sob.

donnawells
11-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Oh no! I have no idea what you would do. That really stinks.

Danyale
11-11-2013, 09:11 PM
the parsing issue means your organizer is over-full. Unless you need to store things in your organizer (I don't I keep them on my EHD because saving them twice doesn't make sense), then empty out your organizer. :)

It is in that box when you save a file. It says something like "Save to organizer". No reason too, it is just duplicating unless you never save anything elsewhere and everything is stored there.

donnawells
11-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Organizer? Is that a PC term? I've never heard of that for a Mac and I've had a Mac for over 20 years!

Danyale
11-11-2013, 09:46 PM
PSE, she was referring to the issue in PSE. PSE has an organizer, it operates simultaneously when you use your program. If you have been using for a long time, it will be filled with everything you saved in duplicate unless you otherwise tell it not too on "first save" with anything.

donnawells
11-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Ahhhh...okay! Thanks for clarifying.

corrin
11-12-2013, 04:44 AM
oh no Liz!! :but: I hope Danyale's fix works for you!

cardinalskate
11-12-2013, 09:35 AM
I hope Danyale's fix works! Did it? Huh? Huh? We need to know!

Danyale
11-12-2013, 09:40 AM
hahahaha, I just know that after this happening to me when I had PSE7, and total newbie to PSE handlings, I was crying over the same thing.

Experience makes you wiser, and makes you feel dumber while doing it. Why in the world do they ask that in the middle of a saving screen anyway? Don't they know we never look in front of us? pfft ugh :blink:

beatricemi
11-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Oh my Liz- I hope you got your layout back!

lizj
11-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Sadly, it is not a full Organizer. I uncheck "save to Organizer" on the Mac because I don't use the Organizer on the Mac, I use ACDSee. (I do use the Organizer on my PC, so I'm familiar with this default, and ITA it's dumb).

I asked in the Adobe forums and they said (sob) it's corrupt. The sent me a link to a video to tell me if there's a fix, which I haven't had the time or the heart to look at yet. Sigh. Thanks, anyway, Danyale.

Danyale
11-12-2013, 11:03 AM
aw, I am so sorry, hun. Wish it could have been that simple for you. :( {hugs}

fruitysuet
11-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Oh Liz such a nightmare, sorry there was no quick fix.

cardinalskate
11-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Bummer!!

beatricemi
11-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Oh no!

2 am Designs
11-13-2013, 12:39 AM
Ok, I don't use PSE but it has happened to me in PS many times.
The problem arises when I save a file with the wrong extension, like in the pic below
See? I named it .png, but the format was set to .tif
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33690976/TDC/Forum/parsingerror.jpg
If I were to hit save without changing the format to .png the file would give me a parsing error when I tried to open it.

If that's what happened to your file they say you should be able to open your file after changing your file's extension to the correct one (In my example I should change the .png to .tif) but I have not tried that (I generally just re-save my png from the original tif)

HTH.

lizj
11-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks, Moni. It was saved as a .tif though, and was set to tiff. I can't even open it to re-save it, so I did try saving it as a copy and changing the file extension to .psd (just in case!) but you can't do that successfully outside of the program so I still get that ugly mean message when I try to open the file. Thanks for the idea though.